Joan Laporta

Yannik

So basically he shouldn't have signed those players on a free, which means not attempting to improve the team, & we would also end up losing Messi anyways. How would that make things better, we still have to compete can't just lay over & play dead.

Nothing is "free".
1. They still receive a wage.
2. They still received a sign on fee.
3. Their agents still received a commission.
And if they aren't being registered by the start of the league, then the squad hasn't improved at all but you still pay for all the things I mentioned.

Barca fans should maybe come to agreement with the uncomfortable truth that the club is in financial ruins, couldn't even pay actual team wages for 1-2 months just earlier this year and at some point come to the realiziation "mhh maybe we are actually living above our means and shouldn't shop at the top of the market for a while".

You aren't even "playing dead" competetively. Remember you paid Hundreds of millions for a Youth Academy at some point which is actually looking quite solid right now? How about using this chaos and fill the current gaps with some players from there. Chelsea did it during their transfer ban and guess how awful they are off now.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I am sure Laporta is doing efforts to cut wages, that's not what I worry about.
My concern is that signing new players without actually even knowing if they can be registered is not fitting the objective.

Like the other guy said, Laporta signed players in the hopes that La Liga relaxes FFP. Or in the hopes that later on deadwood might still be sold. He didn't know if that was actually the case, but he went forth anyway as he optimistically assumed something will somehow happen and everyone can be registered.
Let's name it like it is: He is gambling here.

I don't know enough to comment on what Laporta knew or not and if the signings would be able to get registered etc., I think he had to take those chances to improve the club one way or the other (contributing sportingly or for resale purposes).

I understand where you are coming from, basically that the club should not sign anybody before it is assured that they are within the salary cap and they can register them, and instead look within. I think this is going to be the theme in the next couple of transfer windows, unless if we are able to sell and release some high earners.

Yannik

I understand where you are coming from, basically that the club should not sign anybody before it is assured that they are within the salary cap and they can register them, and instead look within. I think this is going to be the theme in the next couple of transfer windows, unless if we are able to sell and release some high earners.

Exactly. This would be considered just an "oh no anyway" moment if he was the president at City, PSG, ManUtd or whatever as those clubs are financially stable enough to recover from shitty investing.
But out of all the clubs Barca is the one exception that can't afford to waste a single 1€ coin at the moment.
Maybe he has an ace up his sleeve that I'm not seeing here, but it's the 7th of August, La Liga starts in 6 (!!) days, they aren't registered yet and even without them I heard that Barca was already 15% above the cap even without Messi and the new signings (not sure how true that is though). All of it is very alarming, you can't ignore it and it's not a very good first impression of Laportas presidency.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
For those who accuse Laporta of lying, I kind of understand the merit of the accusation but it is not entirely true.

If you are talking about his campaign promise, of course he would say that he would renew and retain Messi, any candidate would say that. That's when he didn't have all the information, especially information on our finances to know what the reality is. After taking over the club in March, he got a much better idea of the ground reality at the club, and the audit (is it done or not?) most likely revealed more daunting information about the state of our financial crisis, he probably knew it was not going to be easy.

What I didn't like was he kept telling everybody that Messi's renewal was progressing well and being a bit too rosy about it. He could have been more transparent, perhaps, when the first and second deal which were offered to Messi (and accepted by him) were rejected by La Liga. He could have told us that "we offered Messi a deal and Messi accepted, however it was rejected by La Liga. We will try something else" etc., I suppose.

FC433

Exactly. This would be considered just an "oh no anyway" moment if he was the president at City, PSG, ManUtd or whatever as those clubs are financially stable enough to recover from shitty investing.
But out of all the clubs Barca is the one exception that can't afford to waste a single 1€ coin at the moment.
Maybe he has an ace up his sleeve that I'm not seeing here, but it's the 7th of August, La Liga starts in 6 (!!) days, they aren't registered yet and even without them I heard that Barca was already 15% above the cap even without Messi and the new signings (not sure how true that is though). All of it is very alarming, you can't ignore it and it's not a very good first impression of Laportas presidency.
I agree. I thought everything was fine and it is paper work, but according to what Laporta said that we are still above the cap is very concerning. Just a week from the start of the league, what are we exactly waiting for? and what the board was doing the past three months?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

I don't know, Laporta said without Messi our current wage bill is 95% of our income (I guess that means revenue), not sure if this figure includes the new signings and how that relates vis-a-vis the salary cap (I don't know if our current wage bill, not including Messi and the new signings are within the salary cap or not) and what exactly our salary cap for the 21/22 season is. If we were to believe that the salary cap for the 21/22 season is at 160m (a figure that was flowing around), that's that means our revenue is only around 170m? Can't be true.

FC433

I don't know, Laporta said without Messi our current wage bill is 95% of our income (I guess that means revenue), not sure if this figure includes the new signings and how that relates vis-a-vis the salary cap (I don't know if our current wage bill, not including Messi and the new signings are within the salary cap or not) and what exactly our salary cap for the 21/22 season is. If we were to believe that the salary cap for the 21/22 season is at 160m (a figure that was flowing around), that's that means our revenue is only around 170m? Can't be true.
It is not within the salary cap, otherwise, we would have registered our new arrivals. Please remember, we are just a week from the start of the league.

FC433

https://youtu.be/Sd3DWZZcRgY

From 47:40 - he was asked about the 4 signings
Then why are not they registered yet? that is what I am wondering. It appears just like what he was saying about Messi that everything was going well until it was not. Doing calculations in both cases, the same question in both cases (why did not Messi sign if everything was agreed upon/ why are not the new arrivals registered?). I personally think Laporta is still trying to find a solution (selling some players).

Last edited:

messi2140

6racies Xavi
My guess would be that he was planning to register Messi first then the rest in case he barely managed to free up some wages or LL easing wage restrictions wasn't enough to register everyone.

Or it could be that Laporta is still bullshitting , either way we will know in 8 days.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
What is the worst case scenario if we can't register the four new signings by the end of this window? They train with the club but can't play, until we slash enough wages from current squad and get them registered in January 2022?

Home of Barca Fans