Joan Laporta

jamrock

Cules aren't the most important people to our rebuild sponsors are, and sponsors don't support losing teams that are bring up youngsters, we have to remain as competitive as possible in the short term, while rebuilding for the medium & long term.

Yannik

Cules aren't the most important people to our rebuild sponsors are, and sponsors don't support losing teams that are bring up youngsters, we have to remain as competitive as possible in the short term, while rebuilding for the medium & long term.

sponsorship contracts are signed over several years, with or without Messi at the club. Short term is less of an issue as long as these contracts are still running. It will change once they have to be renegotiated. And when that happens you want to present them a team that Cules want to watch and that looks set with young players that will be the faces of the new decade. And not a 33 year old Aguero.

Last edited:

jamrock

If we have a bunch of contracts with sponsors that run the nest 4/5 years sure you reasoning makes sense, but I don't have the info but I doubt that's the case.

Yannik

If we have a bunch of contracts with sponsors that run the nest 4/5 years sure you reasoning makes sense, but I don't have the info but I doubt that's the case.

Contracts that will run out next year or in 2 years will also not be renegotiated solely on the base that you have an Aguero that retires any minute. Sponsors and fans go hand in hand. They won't give out great deals to clubs or players that fans do not feel attached to or get excited about. Sponsorships are advertizement. The more people watch or follow on social media, the more advertizement are they exposed to and therefor the better your bargaining power is. And near retirement players like Aguero are hardly drawing the masses.

An exciting young prospect on the other hand IS a looker that draws revenue with him. And where do exciting young players come from? Right: The academy. That big ass building that Barca pumped hundreds of millions into to use in moments like these so that young players can emerge from there, fill gaps and ideally make a name for themselves. And Barca actually has a decent generation of players again ready to step up so the timing couldn't be better.
Chelsea were forced to finally use theirs when they were banned from making transfers. Turned out really terrible for them, didn't it?

Last edited:

jamrock

Contracts that will run out next year or in 2 years will also not be renegotiated solely on the base that you have an Aguero that retires any minute. Sponsors and fans go hand in hand. They won't give out great deals to clubs or players that fans do not feel attached to or get excited about. Sponsorships are advertizement. The more people watch or follow on social media, the more advertizement are they exposed to and therefor the better your bargaining power is. And near retirement players like Aguero are hardly drawing the masses.

An exciting young prospect on the other hand IS a looker that draws revenue with him. And where do exciting young players come from? Right: The academy. That big ass building that Barca pumped hundreds of millions into to use in moments like these so that young players can emerge from there, fill gaps and ideally make a name for themselves. And Barca actually has a decent generation of players again ready to step up so the timing couldn't be better.
Chelsea were forced to finally use theirs when they were banned from making transfers. Turned out really terrible for them, didn't it?

If sponsors were attracted by young exciting players arsenal would be a much bigger draw than they are now.

And what did Chelsea win when playing with their youth during the transfers band again? Honest question I really don't remember, I'm assuming nothing though.

They only started winning when they started to spend again.

Sponsors are attracted to winners because winners attach fans, especially casual fans, a team that is only(primarily) attractive to it's hard core supporters doesn't attract the big bucks (arsenal again is a good example) which even more so than cost cutting is what we will need to return to the top.

Barcilliant

Instead of blaming Laporta we should blame the likes of Umtiti, Coutinho and company. Just want fat fucking wages and willing to sit or be injured while they collect.
The club has been pretty upfront about the players they want to move on and yet they shamelessly refuse to budge. Just terminate their contracts and go to court. If we lose keep these clowns on the bench.

Yannik

If sponsors were attracted by young exciting players arsenal would be a much bigger draw than they are now.

Arsenal is literally the prime example of a club that isn't even big in results, but still big on revenue. I'm not even sure why you bring them up though because the stigma of Arsenal being a "kid squad" has been outdated for like 10 years or so.

And what did Chelsea win when playing with their youth during the transfers band again? Honest question I really don't remember, I'm assuming nothing though.

They literally qualified for the Champions League. Which is the goal people here ITT declare for Barca. And they did that in a more difficult league.

From that on they then went on to win said Champions League with Mason Mount, Reece James, Tammy Abraham and CHO. All players that had their breakouts in the season before which would have never happened, had Chelsea just signed a dude from elsewhere. Also Kurt Zouma who isn't that young anymore, but practically been loaned out to everywhere for years until Chelsea finally HAD to use him.

In long term their fasting season hasn't damaged them or their revenue at all. It's actually big part of the reason why they are so good now.

They actually declined when they did that at first. They only started to win, after they replaced their coach with a decent one after they noticed that they weren't winning at all with their signings.
And again: Are you just going to ignore that a third of their squad who did that consisted of players that came from the youth and broke into the squad because Chelsea had a transfer ban?

Sponsors are attracted to winners because winners attach fans, especially casual fans, a team that is only(primarily) attractive to it's hard core supporters doesn't attract the big bucks (arsenal again is a good example) which even more so than cost cutting is what we will need to return to the top.

Again Arsenal = bad example for the point you are making. Big club, global reach, all despite whacky results. Multiple factors involved here, not all related to "talents".

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Blaming the players is retarded. I am not even sure if all the dead wood left we could register a 50ME/year contract.

As for blaming Laporta: the main criticism is that he "lied" to us for a month/was overly optimistic? Imagine he told us a month ago that registering Messi was virtually impossible? I am sure that would have went far better :lol:

i_bleed_blaugrana

When it comes to Chelsea, yeah they might not have won anything during their transfer ban but crucially, that is when Lampard took over and laid down a lot of the foundations that led to Tuchel being able to take this team to new heights so quickly.

Instead of blaming Laporta we should blame the likes of Umtiti, Coutinho and company. Just want fat fucking wages and willing to sit or be injured while they collect.
The club has been pretty upfront about the players they want to move on and yet they shamelessly refuse to budge. Just terminate their contracts and go to court. If we lose keep these clowns on the bench.

When looking at the big picture and considering how much his hands were tied from our financial ruin, you cannot blame Joan for a lot of this. However, what I will criticize him for in this situation that really could have gone differently was last month, how mid-June to July went. It was the sequence of how we did our business and what the priority was.

I think the flack Laporta does deserve is playing golf tournaments with Pep, Riqui and co. instead of taking clowns like Umtiti to court and terminating his contract. Our priority should have always been to do whatever it took to lower the wage bill, resign Messi then make our free signings.

But making the flashy signings in the beginning of summer instead of doing the dirty work then was a mistake in hindsight and makes some of his complaints about a lack of time wide of the mark since a lot of that was due to decisions he made and what he chose to prioritize. Like, we straight chilled during Copa and the Euros and that was precisely when we needed to be working overtime to get the deadweight out.

Last edited:

serghei

I don't think keeping Messi in this time was ground zero priority for Laporta. Keeping Messi was impossible without La Liga bulging on that cap, or without taking that bad CVC deal. So the Messi situation was done because the difference was huge. We needed some 180m to register him at around 30-40m per year. Laporta hoped La Liga will be lenient because Messi was their biggest marketing asset. They weren't, so Messi went. Fair enough, rules are rules for all even if they are bad.

serghei

If players are fit, we register the signings, I think we can be positive. Only now it feels like an era has ended and another begins. Up until this point we've been patching things up for 3-4 years.

If Koeman continues to play washed up veterans with no legs, he should go next.

Messigician

I don't think keeping Messi in this time was ground zero priority for Laporta. Keeping Messi was impossible without La Liga bulging on that cap, or without taking that bad CVC deal. So the Messi situation was done because the difference was huge. We needed some 180m to register him at around 30-40m per year. Laporta hoped La Liga will be lenient because Messi was their biggest marketing asset. They weren't, so Messi went. Fair enough, rules are rules for all even if they are bad.

If Messi wanted to stay he would. But for the money he wants the cvc deal was needed.

Asking to be paid for 2 years work over 5 years isn't the intent of a saint...

mc_lovin

When looking at the big picture and considering how much his hands were tied from our financial ruin, you cannot blame Joan for a lot of this. However, what I will criticize him for in this situation that really could have gone differently was last month, how mid-June to July went. It was the sequence of how we did our business and what the priority was.

I think the flack Laporta does deserve is playing golf tournaments with Pep, Riqui and co. instead of taking clowns like Umtiti to court and terminating his contract. Our priority should have always been to do whatever it took to lower the wage bill, resign Messi then make our free signings.

But making the flashy signings in the beginning of summer instead of doing the dirty work then was a mistake in hindsight and makes some of his complaints about a lack of time wide of the mark since a lot of that was due to decisions he made and what he chose to prioritize. Like, we straight chilled during Copa and the Euros and that was precisely when we needed to be working overtime to get the deadweight out.

I am sure he worked hard, but it's not like he can invest a certain amount of hours and these problems solve themselves. It was always going to take until the very end of the window to get rid of certain players. And terminating contracts is not a magic solution. It's messy and risky. And expensive.

clemente

Snake ass gave Messi 7 days to find new club, he will most likely have to settle for a shit signing bonus with shit wages, while the only reason Laporta got elected was the promises to sign Messi.

Home of Barca Fans