Joan Laporta

iniestaGOAT

Chill out, folks. It's Friday!:lol:

So far I rate Laporta good as well. No shady deals, everything is clear and known to the public. The Ownix deal and the subsequent backlash for example.

Yeah he has been perfect. Gods gift to Barcelona.

Any other rookie president like font we would have been in second division within 2 years.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Laporta has done a wonderful job so far. I woould say 8/10. ( would be 10/10 but -1 for not being able to resign messi and -1 for not being able to sell coutinho)

In terms of restructuring the cost etc. to make us solvent for now, a very solid job so far. Sporting-side, remains to be seen and many question marks. Business side, abysmal, at least nothing to show for so far.

malvolio

In terms of restructuring the cost etc. to make us solvent for now, a very solid job so far. Sporting-side, remains to be seen and many question marks. Business side, abysmal, at least nothing to show for so far.

Solid job to give away Messi and Griezmann for free and take a loan from a bank? Yeah, I could do that.

Bobo32

released on a free. same thing in the end.

it's not like you have to be a genius to do what laporta did.

And you don't have to be a genius to understand that a president should be judged on a larger timeframe than half a year.
Give him a year or two from here, and see the situation then!
I am very positive right now - the previous boards were really heading towards the ground.

malvolio

Remember who gave those megacontracts to Messi and Griezmann? Wasn't Laporta, just to tell you.

just pointing out that what he did wasn't so special.

And you don't have to be a genius to understand that a president should be judged on a larger timeframe than half a year.
I am very positive right now - the previous boards were really heading towards the ground.

we're discussing what he did up until now. i see others are rating him as good to outstanding. i've thrown in my 2 cents.

as players and managers are judged after every game, i believe we can asses what he did in his first 8 months. even more so when he had the summer transfer window at his disposal. not like he came in october and we're discussing his 'performance' in march.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Solid job to give away Messi and Griezmann for free and take a loan from a bank? Yeah, I could do that.

Messi wasn't given away for free since he was free, Griezmann was offloaded to get rid of his huge amortization and wage. Not that I'd like to see but properly did it out of necessity.

Windhook

Laporta had no choice. La Liga rules forced Messi out of the club and Laporta tried to negotiate some special exclusions from this rule. Nobody with an above average IQ would let a player like Leo to leave the club, but we had to offload half of the squad to keep him, the likes of Umtiti, Griezmann, Dembele go for free and the compensations would have reached above +150m. It's financial suicide.

Bobo32

we're discussing what he did up until now. i see others are rating him as good to outstanding. i've thrown in my 2 cents.

as players and managers are judged after every game, i believe we can asses what he did in his first 8 months. even more so when he had the summer transfer window at his disposal. not like he came in october and we're discussing his 'performance' in march.

Sure sure. But the effect of most of his decisions are going to be seen long term.
Messi needed to go sometime, Laporta probably made a bad call there, but in the end it could turn out good. Griezmann just needed to go ASAP.
He at least took responsibilty for sacking Koeman too late - when did Bartomeu admit he did something wrong?

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

The previous board did many things wrong for sure (almost bankrupting the club was their biggest crime) and one can't easily top them in that regard, the current board hasn't done much other than keeping us stay afloat for now. Yes we need to give them more time but at this time we still look like a sinking ship with many people abandoning us.

JamDav1982

Remember who gave those megacontracts to Messi and Griezmann? Wasn't Laporta, just to tell you.

That would be Laporta who said Messi was worth every penny of that contract and more and also tried to put him on a mega contract for years when wouldnt be playing for the club.

Losing Messi after lying for months about it being no real issue is nothing to be proud of.

Pissing off Messi in the process and then comments about 'hoping would play for free'.

Situation was handled poorly from start to finish.

Last edited:

malvolio

Messi wasn't given away for free since he was free, Griezmann was offloaded to get rid of his huge amortization and wage. Not that I'd like to see but properly did it out of necessity.

Well don't praise him for stuff like that then. It's not difficult to release those 2 players and get a bank loan.

Bobo32

Laporta had no choice. La Liga rules forced Messi out of the club and Laporta tried to negotiate some special exclusions from this rule. Nobody with an above average IQ would let a player like Leo to leave the club, but we had to offload half of the squad to keep him, the likes of Umtiti, Griezmann, Dembele go for free and the compensations would have reached above +150m. It's financial suicide.

I believe he misjudged the leagues position, that he thought they would understand that it would be a disaster for both Barcelona and the league if Messi went.
He shouldn't have signed Depay, Aguero and even Garcia if he understood Tebas position, and he should be much quicker and more forceful in renegotiating other players contracts and getting rid of other players IF he wanted to keep Messi.

I believe he wanted more than he could get, made a mistake, but in the end, it could turn out well. Maybe Messi will even return like Alves pretty soon!

Home of Barca Fans