Joan Laporta

Devils

This shouldn't even go to the socis. Please bypass their ignorance and take the deal.

100m a year just to have some random club in the middle east go by the name of FC Barcelona Qatar.

Are you kidding me? If we don't take this we deserve to go bankrupt and die.

JamDav1982

Cant see any club paying Barca 100m for this and can forget about Laporta mouthing off about club values if anything remotely close comes off.

Barca will be roundly mocked if even try it.

Politics.

If Laporta had lost election to Font or some other and club tried this he would be all over it campaigning about how it it is destroying club values and the usual suspects would be parroting every word of it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It does sound too good to be true. What do the Qataris get in return? Just for using our brand name?

Atletico Madrid has a franchise in Canada, so does OL in the NWSL I think. Great idea to have a franchise team in another country, but the 100m per year figure does sound ridiculous.

Porque

Meanwhile in Ecuador...

FlamboyantBlackandwhiteIslandcanary-max-1mb.gif

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
We already have clubs ripping off our likeness in other countries no? Barcelona SC?

If this is just an extension of that doesn't seem like a huge problem if it's worth the bad publicity.

Barcelona SC's existence is quite fun, I think by no means are they ripping us off. It is good to see other clubs emulating us, from the name to the logo. Plus they actually have a legitimate reason to use "Barcelon" as their founders originally came from Barcelona I think.

Bad publicity? You mean by being associated with Qatar? Not as bad as the likes of New Castle, or United pretty soon being owned by the Saudis and the Qataris etc.

Porque

It does sound too good to be true. What do the Qataris get in return? Just for using our brand name?

Atletico Madrid has a franchise in Canada, so does OL in the NWSL I think. Great idea to have a franchise team in another country, but the 100m per year figure does sound ridiculous.

It would go far behind just franchise rights. Would include exchange of talent (young players going to play for that side, for better or worse) coaches, traning camps, friendlies, first team player appearances, media events and whatever other added value.

They basically ripped off Barcelona for free with Aspire, so why not get paid for it? But it won't be a free lunch, that's for sure.

Said it before, but talking is easily than reality, but it would have been better to deal with the Saudi than the Qatari's.

And also, Laporta was always inclined to the franchise model, he just wasn't rich enough and Barcelona is the wrong club for it being socio owned and not Oil owned. Barcleona Miami project was well ahead of it's time, and everything the City Group has achieved is what Barcelona's Laporta led team wanted to achieve with a far better brand (stuck in an admittedly worst country and league).

ajnotkeith

💰 Barça have received an annual €100m offer from a Qatari team to have the name of Barça as a franchise. [Catalunya Ràdio]

If this is true I love you Laporta :love:
Probably isn't near 100m only to use the name as other clubs are already doing that but even getting 20m or so for it is worth.

100m would be a pipe dream.

ajnotkeith

Barcelona SC's existence is quite fun, I think by no means are they ripping us off. It is good to see other clubs emulating us, from the name to the logo. Plus they actually have a legitimate reason to use "Barcelon" as their founders originally came from Barcelona I think.

Bad publicity? You mean by being associated with Qatar? Not as bad as the likes of New Castle, or United pretty soon being owned by the Saudis and the Qataris etc.
In the sense that looking at their club you would 100 percent consider them to be associated with us, likely in the same way as this Qatari club. But the Qataris will pay us for it.

Yes, I think with all the rhetoric around the Middle East right now and the dirty money they are investing into football Barca taking it would kind of betray those mes que un club values we always talk about, and we would get backlash for that, but we already accepted Qatar Airways before I suppose.

JamDav1982

Next thing you know... City, PSG, Newcastle have 'franchises' paying them 500m a season.

Cant see this happening or a club paying 100m a season for it.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Who cares about the bad publicity at this point. We're not the club that can take the moral high ground on these things anyway lol.

Porque

Next thing you know... City, PSG, Newcastle have 'franchises' paying them 500m a season.

On the other hand, next thing you know, Qatar are 49% owners of Barcelona when we re-model. That will be the long term goal.

City already have the City group, but I wonder how FIFA/UEFA would interpret your example.

ajnotkeith

Who cares about the bad publicity at this point. We're not the club that can take the moral high ground on these things anyway lol.
It's about how much do we value the essence of Barca and how and why it was created.

If we don't value the history, sure, we could be a financial giant and totally sell out to the Saudis. It's how much do you want to erode before we draw a line under it.

If it is the 100m as stated it would be a no brainer but I doubt it's near that much, we should think about it.

JamDav1982

On the other hand, next thing you know, Qatar are 49% owners of Barcelona when we re-model. That will be the long term goal.

City already have the City group, but I wonder how FIFA/UEFA would interpret your example.

City sell 49% then take huge 'franchise' fee then.

Be never ending attempts to get round the rules.

Home of Barca Fans