Kévin Gameiro

Trickykid

I hope these rumors die fast. Get a younger player hungry for football not some overachiever from Sevilla looking for his last fat paycheck and gloryhunting.

Not that I'm much of a fan of this potential transfer, but that's way too harsh. Overachiever or not (I don't know about that, but I think he's a decent footballer), do you know him in real life, since you can judge him to be both a glory hunter and greedy, or does he have a history of these wrongdoings? Or does that just per definition apply to all aging players?

J

Jamie Cal

I think the fact that he has been mostly a bench player throughout his career and suddenly he is having a good season at 29.

Not really true. He was a star at Lorient, hence getting to PSG. As for PSG, he was a bench player when Ibra arrived and they were looking for 'bigger' names. His first season at Sevilla he hit over 20 goals. And sure, Bacca was the main man, but that doesn't stop playing 2 up front or how much they rotate.

So not really a bench player throughout his career, just in a patch.

And what Khaled said is right - it's a false idea anyway. He's been given the chance to be number one this season and taken it well. The idea he'd come here to take a paycheck and go home is absurd. Or that signing some young kid who wants to play every minute is a great idea, could just as easily go wrong when he plays little. Hence why we're sending guys like Halilovic out.

Jombi

Not really true. He was a star at Lorient, hence getting to PSG. As for PSG, he was a bench player when Ibra arrived and they were looking for 'bigger' names. His first season at Sevilla he hit over 20 goals. And sure, Bacca was the main man, but that doesn't stop playing 2 up front or how much they rotate.

So not really a bench player throughout his career, just in a patch.

And what Khaled said is right - it's a false idea anyway. He's been given the chance to be number one this season and taken it well. The idea he'd come here to take a paycheck and go home is absurd. Or that signing some young kid who wants to play every minute is a great idea, could just as easily go wrong when he plays little. Hence why we're sending guys like Halilovic out.

Last season, he came off the bench 25 times and started 13 games. Behind Bacca the donkey. Not good enough for PSG and Monchi is laughing at us behind our backs as we try to sign this 29 year old while they have younger and more valuable players lined up for half the price I'm sure. I dont think anyone wants us to sign "kids". But these days, even 24 year olds are considered "kids" in our team that is rapidly resembling an old-age home if we dont rejuvenate.

Gameiro will be yet another one looking for a last fat paycheck and the big problem with that is that there is ZERO chance of us getting money for him. We never get any money for players that have passed 30 which means the price of Gameiro is laughable and BAD value.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was a "star" nowhere, rode the bench in PSG, had one good season with Sevilla.
Great record for a 29 y.o.
What can he do in Barca other than ride the bench again (probably for 20-30mil.) and stand in a way of Barca youngsters trying to get in.

Reeks of another Arda Turan transfer. Yep, another overachiever who looked better under his manager (many do under Simeone) than he really is.

Oh, and he is right footed so can't be used to relieve Messi, too small for CF, and I for sure as hell don't want him over Denis Suarez as first backup for Neymar.

khaled_a_d

Probably in the sense that if someone is "overachieving" at one point in life, he will eventually return to his normal/average/true level.

May be this is what they think ,but for me I would take an Overachiever over an underachiever any day of the week .Look at guys like S.Roberto,Pedro who at some point nobody thought they would ever make it here. Late bloomers who keep fighting to reach their best are always welcomed

He was a "star" nowhere, rode the bench in PSG, had one good season with Sevilla.
What can he do in Barca other than ride the bench again (probably for 20-30mil.) and stand in a way of Barca youngsters trying to get in.

Reeks of another Arda Turan transfer. Yep, another overachiever who looked better under his manager (many do under Simeone) than he really is.
He will be signed for bench role ,so I am not sure why the fact that he was once on the bench for a gr8 striker like Ibra or one of the best strikers in the world in the last couple of years (Bacca) is an issue .he won't come here to be starter
And he won't move on the way of our youngster ,in fact it is quite the opposite .his age will mean he won't stand against those guys career while giving us 2-3 solid years from the bench .right now there isn't a single Barca youngster who is ready to be even in the rotation
The best we have is Munir, and we have all seen that the guy has failed to provide any rest for MSN .Munir should be loaned or sold with buyback if we buy Gameiro .that is the ideal situation for our youth .
And probably until we have a clearer idea of how good Mujica & Abel Ruiz (16&17 years of age) ,we don't have any youngster who have a chance to make it as a starter in frontline anyway . Not sure how Gameiro will"stand in a way of Barca youngsters" of those
And Gameiro will play his natural position here and he fits our style.unlike Arda who was Basically a wing in 4-4-2 whom we are trying to make a CM
I would like Gameiro is he doesn't cost us anything more than 20M (and by anything I mean not even a loan) ,that is right now the standard price for a good bench player anyway

Trickykid

Oh, and he is right footed so can't be used to relieve Messi, too small for CF, and I for sure as hell don't want him over Denis Suarez as first backup for Neymar.

Nonsense. [MENTION=18328]Jamie Cal[/MENTION] already said it, but he's consistently been a very solid goal scorer. 66 goals in 139 Sevilla appearances, and similar numbers at Lorient is pretty damn good. There's no shame in being benched by Zlatan at P$G.

The only reason I don't like this transfer is the price. Aside from that, he'd pretty much be the perfect sub striker to have in our squad.

And no, there's still absolutely no logic in calling him out for being greedy or a glory hunter. Unless of course you have some evidence for it?

spark

The fact is that he like any player not named Inzaghi or Chicharito was missing clear cut chances galore when he was not a consistent starter. If he goes back to being a bench player as he would at Barca it wouldn't be surprising if he went back to kicking posts and holding his head after big misses again. Buying a player just to be a sub is something that is destined to fail. The club would be much better off buying someone with ambitions of more than just making up the numbers and filling in when needed. Especially for north of 20 million euros after a good run of form that might well be an anomaly .

J

Jamie Cal

The whole point of signing him IS TO ride the bench. Surely a guy who knows how to be effective off the bench is what we want. Literally any forward we buy will be to ride the bench. The difference is, they'll be signed with squad status in mind. Hence why guys like Lacazette rules himself out; because he wouldn't be happy with it.

Is there really a point in signing someone like Sane, who has talent but is very raw, playing in hardly any minutes or in throw away minutes for us, stalling his progression, when he needs to be playing 70-80% of minutes to be worthy of playing here as an asset.

Edit: and yeah, we've over paid recently, but there's not a chance we'll pay 40 million.

anything over 30 mil for him is crazy stupid.

Gameiro isn't greedy or whatnot, he enjoys playmaking football, and lucho seems to think he could back up two positions. But there may be better options out there.

Home of Barca Fans