Lionel Messi - v7

ItachiXXX

This is actually a very valid point but you're right he'll most likely say it's only been like that because of managers bending over for Messi and the amigos. It's basically a pointless battle. If you find something that is the fault of the board/manager/other players it's spun into somehow actually being Messi's fault.

So for so long Messi is the cancer of Barca and the reason why they're losing. Yup, forum de amigos and their conspiracy theories 😁

malvolio

Whether if it's still worth the investment, we'll find out this season.
With Suarez gone, we have one more player who can help out in defense.

So far out of the 3 games, he had one decent game, one good game, one bad game

Consider the fact that the one bad game came after playing a captain's performance vs Celta with playing with 10 men for more than a half in a terrible playing condition.
It was no surprise that everyone except for Coutinho had a dip in the Sevilla match.

Aside from that lucky open net goal, Coutinho was not better than Messi in the Sevilla match. I would say they were on par, with Messi being more involved in playmaking, while Coutinho was more involved in the defensive side.
Messi just didn't manage to score.

Sterlingfan2000

The board wants to negotiate salary reductions for all first team players due to COVID-19. There are 15 days to negotiate. The board will talk to Messi in the coming days[cadena ser]

Daniele

very high level of comedy for this thread plus casual use of BIG DATA :lol:
btw why should messi fanboy be an insult? Anyone who knows about football is a Messi fan

serghei

Even about his goals:
= remove free kicks and penaldos

And then you just get a lot of walking, tactical mess, a goal from an open play here and there.

I tried to check La liga matches now, apparently in 19 La liga matches last season from January-August, he scored a goal from an open play on 4 matches:
1:0 Granada
5:0 vs Eibar, 4 goals lol
4:0 vs Mallorca, goal for 4:0 in the 93rd minute
5:0 Alaves, last round, a friendly match, 2 goals

All other goals were penaldos and iirc 1 free kick.
In a CL, he scored 1 goal vs Napoli (3:1) in 3 CL matches.

When we add 3 La liga matches from this season, that means that in the last 25 matches, Messi scored from an open play on 5 nights.
Which means that his current goalscoring rate is: he will score from an open play in 1 in 5 matches.

Not to mention that he didn't score a single goal against any stronger team in 2020.
Except Napoli, who are hardly a top team.

When you dig deeper, like me in this post, his goal stats are atrocious lately.

But when you just look at stats (4 goals against Eibar and numerous penaldos) then you get:
13 goals, 25 matches
Which looks ok

But again, all goals were statpading against Eibar and Alaves in 5:0 trashings.
And other goals are penaldos, 1 free kick, 93rd minute goal against Mallorca for 4:0 and decent goals vs Napoli and Granada.

A lot of our fans would surely whine: why didn't Messi won Ballon D Or, lol.
PR machine is hating Messi.

5 good matches and 20 nights of walking in 25 matches.

All of that shows Messi's obvious decline. Not only compared to his prime (the difference is huge), but also compared with his later seasons, like 17-18 and 18-19.

KingLeo10

All of that shows Messi's obvious decline. Not only compared to his prime (the difference is huge), but also compared with his later seasons, like 17-18 and 18-19.

Even in 2015, he was levels above where he is now in acceleration, ability to beat anyone and everyone on the dribble, and finishing.

The thing I'm trying to convince the fanboys is not that it's been a decline, but that it's been a huge decline. It just so happens that players like Messi or CR7 fall from Mt. Everest so they're still lingering on in the top 5-10 in the world on certain attributes in their mid 30s.

serghei

Even in 2015, he was levels above where he is now in acceleration, ability to beat anyone and everyone on the dribble, and finishing.

The thing I'm trying to convince the fanboys is not that it's been a decline, but that it's been a huge decline. It just so happens that players like Messi or CR7 fall from Mt. Everest so they're still lingering on in the top 5-10 in the world on certain attributes in their mid 30s.

Yea, I consider 2015 as more of his last peak year.

I have it as prime, 2009-12 with peak in 2011, then a blip post Pep, with some injury problems and whatnot, than another short peak with Lucho, then decline started, with another comeback (not as great as 2015) under EV first seasons. Then full decline, and right now, in the last 2 years, the decline is major and irrecoverable imo.

Yes, I agree with that also, that the decline is severe, less so for Ronaldo, because his fitness is incredible, but especially with Messi. And this was to be expected imo, Ronaldo having less of a fallout due to his fitness and professionalism.

If I were to build 2 teams right now, Messi and Ronaldo would not fit in either. The game has moved above them finally I feel.

Last edited:

Jadentheman

2014-2015 was peak Messi he acceled in the all around package, the complete player at the zenith. Lead his team to a WC final and CL final. Shame he only won one of them.

Let me quote Leo from his last interview:"I wanted new challenges. Make room for the new generation.
I am unhappy in the vestuary, training and matchs". Etc etc

You expect him to play well this season?
Did you ever see a player play great or at least well for a club and team he doesn't like at all anymore?
I am sad for him that Bar?a is keeping him against his will and ruining his last year(s) for this crappy team and coach (koeamn, come on, what did he win as a coach? What did he do as a coach = 0).

Say what you want about the tactics, formations, benching, positions, it won't works.
Fati? I like him but very overrated just like Bojan or Munir. A bit better but no new Messi of course. He can't even dribble.

BBZOB (😁) think Fati should have taken penalties and free kicksinstead of Messi? Is that a clown forum?

I know I am not into tactics but I have never play foot in my life. Only basketball and tennis.
And trust me you wouldn't want to face me in tennis! ☝️

Please chill out here. It's just football. You're not Wanted dead or alive! ⚽

Mateka

Messi a football legend. Bar?a has served him well and he has served Bar?a. A compromise should have been reached. Messi should have been released from his contract. The moral high ground is with Messi. Bar?a now has a footballing legend who it appears does not want to be there.

Home of Barca Fans