Lionel Messi - v7

Blackened

Messi can still deliver the goods under right circumstances. The biggest issue (and the one that made Barca a force to begin with) is the lack of homegrown talent. Surround Messi with the new Xavis and the new Iniestas and he would thrive. Easier said than done though.

KingLeo10

Messi can still deliver the goods under right circumstances. The biggest issue (and the one that made Barca a force to begin with) is the lack of homegrown talent. Surround Messi with the new Xavis and the new Iniestas and he would thrive. Easier said than done though.

:lol::lol:

How about downright impossible?

serghei

You're going over the top comparing with Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos, they didn't even go training and were overweight.

I thought koeman, even if he isn't the best tactically, would command some respect and be able to rest the veterans. I don't know if he's afraid or whatever, but he should do whatever he thinks is the best for the team. He probably thinks Messi should play every game, he even thinks busquets should. If he is afraid, he's not the man for the job.

He's afraid of Messi. If Messi goes against him he is probably is sacked. That's where the power and attitude of Messi comes from. He is/was backed by an incompetent board.

Rory

I would give him a few chances where we start Pjanic over Busquets. I think having someone who can progress the ball to the attack a lot more regularly will massively help our overall game and also Messi's positioning/tendency to drop deep (he'll still do this but less regularly). No excuses for Messi though, he's had a few poor games this year now and on merit alone Fati and Pedri deserve a start ahead of him. Dembele/Trincao/Griezmann not so much.

Rory

He's afraid of Messi. If Messi goes against him he is probably is sacked. That's where the power and attitude of Messi comes from. He is/was backed by an incompetent board.

I'd have believed that if Messi didn't come out and say he wants to leave the club and therefore him sitting on the bench a few games is by that logic infinitely better than him leaving. Koeman not starting Messi in the current circumstances does not get him fired. There's not even a proper board to fire him at the moment.

serghei

I'd have believed that if Messi didn't come out and say he wants to leave the club and therefore him sitting on the bench a few games is by that logic infinitely better than him leaving. Koeman not starting Messi in the current circumstances does not get him fired. There's not even a proper board to fire him at the moment.

There's no logic in playing Messi all the time with his current physical state, and his current form, except if you are scared to sub him or rest him.

Rory

There's no logic in playing Messi all the time with his current physical state, and his current form, except if you are scared to sub him or rest him.

There is though, his goals and assists numbers from last year would suggest to most coaches keeping him on could mean a goal, especially as the game progresses and the opponent tires. Those other reasons you mention are valid too but it's disingenuous to say there is no other reason to play him.

Hardy

Messi has not scored a decisive goal (goal that serves to break a tie or to reduce a disadvantage) away from home (in any official competition) for 11 months (he made it 0-1 against Atl?tico de Madrid, on December 1 2019).

giphy.gif

Givenchy

"I am happy with the sea and the cows" :lol: It's amazing to think that such a coach even got a shot at Barca. Like who in their right minds goes looking for a coach and is like "yep, that's the one to coach one of the biggest clubs in the world". Bartomeu the most incompetent president ever perhaps. At least Gaspart tried to choose good coaches. Should've just finished the season out with EV or sacked him after Anfield. Incredibly costly decisions that will haunt this club for a while

Not defending Barto but tbf, its not like top managers are clamouring to manage this Barca team is it? The Peps, Klopps, heck even Mourinhos of this world want power to implement their ideas and make decisions - something impossible and totally foreign at Messi's Barca.

I'm surprised if Pep actually wanted Messi and it wasn't the hierarchy at City wanting a statement signing for more exposure

serghei

Not defending Barto but tbf, its not like top managers are clamouring to manage this Barca team is it? The Peps, Klopps, heck even Mourinhos of this world want power to implement their ideas and make decisions - something impossible and totally foreign at Messi's Barca.

I'm surprised if Pep actually wanted Messi and it wasn't the hierarchy at City wanting a statement signing for more exposure

Exactly. Nobody would wanna come and be cucked by Messi and his amigos. We'd only be attractive again after the seniors are all gone.

Home of Barca Fans