Lionel Messi - v7

malvolio

155 M a year is for being the best player in the world. He isn't top 3 right now. Can you not read?

he was the best player in the world when he signed. top 3 right now? who are they?

Im sure they would, I dont disagree with you. So what? Its his "right" as a player, but dont come and tell me isnt a mercenary.

You never know.

his "right" is what he negotiates with the club. sure, me or you can have an endless debate about what is right or not. he just got a huge deal back then because he was top dog and what he did for the club in terms of image and trophies won.

he's no more of a mercenary than me or you or some other guy that gets payed to do a job.

looking at the top players list right now is kind of depressing really. no wonder we made sure messi is happy and thrown bags of money at him.

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Of course. I just think that he isn't the one, who is obsessed with the contract deals with Barca. There are probably a small army of people, who manages his financial shit and i doubt he does anything more than nod to them.

I think Messi is much more aware of money than you think he is. I don't believe the narrative that some fans propagate that Messi was letting his father and agent take care of all the money and tax stuff while he was focusing on football and football only, I think they acted on his instructions. When the contract renewal hit a hitch, Messi himself most likely didn't like the terms and numbers from the club, not just because of his greedy father and agent etc.

Joan

There's literally nothing to blame Messi for. Would we like he gave part of his salary to help the club out? Sure, that's why it's not MessisPersonalFinanceForum, but I don't judge him. And nor should any of you.

BBZ8800

what he got was dictated by the market and the money that was thrown around at the time. city/psg and maybe other clubs would have gladly payed the same salary to him.

So basically, he loves the club so much that he will stay ONLY if we offer the same or more than what other clubs are offering, lol?

To me, love is:
City is offering 100
Barca is offering 70

You stay here because you love the club.

Totti rejected lucrative offers from Real and Milan to stay at Roma for less money.

Or when Batistuta stayed at Fiorentina till the age 30.

Or Larsson at Celtic till the age of 34.

That's love and not walking and sulking for 150 millions per year, lol.

Last edited:

malvolio

So basically, he loves the club so much that he will stay ONLY if we offer the same or more than what other clubs are offering, lol?

To me, love is:
City is offering 100
Barca is offering 70

Totti rejected lucrative offers from Real and Milan to stay at Roma for less money.

the days of batistuta are gone mate. wake up, it's all about money now.

we don't know if city offered more or not. so your example(while fair) can't be proven. i was just making a point that the market at the time was inflated and money was easily thrown around. so the deal he got could have been matched or even bettered by city/psg etc

JamDav1982

To me, love is:
City is offering 100
Barca is offering 70

Barca could be in a position to offer more anyway with no huge fee to contend with and revenues up there with any club in world.

Could just as easily argue Messi gets more from Barca than could from any other top club.

It is easy for Laporta to claim Messi takes in a third of revenue... well offer him 300m a year to stay then or adjust down for covid untiul back to normal. Wont happen as its not the case.

Messi clearly loves the club but not to point will take less money but almost all players are the same and would wield their power in his situation as he knows club were terrified he would leave. He played on that numerous times.

ebc_99

Messi deserves his money, I don't have a problem with it at all. But I do have a problem with wasting ?160m on Couthinho, ?120m on Dembele and another ?120m on Griezmann aswell as their wages. On top of that, guys like Braithwaite, Douglas, Aleix Vidal, Turan, Gomez & Malcom were an absolute waste of money. It is these signings that have put Barca in trouble and giving the likes of Jordi Alba contracts until they are 35 on high salaries.

155 M a year is for being the best player in the world. He isn't top 3 right now. Can you not read?

I want to know too, who is the top 3, I can't think of 3 players better than Messi right now.

KingLeo10

Lewandowski is clearly better right now. Even after accounting for Bayern's strength, goal + a game is best player in the world level. This is where Messi operated much of his career (goal + a game), did he not?

Neymar is a shade better right now, mostly because he is younger.

CR7 is also better than Messi right now. Scoring a lot more goals than Messi in a similarly shit team. Messi until the last 2 months was having an abysmal season.

So there you go ebc_99. For the record, this is not a discussion on career level or peak level. Messi's peak obliterates the peak of any of these 3 players. We all know that.

Newcomer

Barca could be in a position to offer more anyway with no huge fee to contend with and revenues up there with any club in world.

Could just as easily argue Messi gets more from Barca than could from any other top club.

It is easy for Laporta to claim Messi takes in a third of revenue... well offer him 300m a year to stay then or adjust down for covid untiul back to normal. Wont happen as its not the case.

Messi clearly loves the club but not to point will take less money but almost all players are the same and would wield their power in his situation as he knows club were terrified he would leave. He played on that numerous times.

That is certainly true.

How can people believe he brings 250 or 300 M to the club alone ? If that was the case, Bar?a would do everything to renew him with even a raise. He would bring 100 to 150 M more than it costs right now. Yet, Bar?a say they cannot afford his wage. Something doesn't add up.

FinBarcelonafan

That is certainly true.

How can people believe he brings 250 or 300 M to the club alone ? If that was the case, Bar?a would do everything to renew him with even a raise. He would bring 100 to 150 M more than it costs right now. Yet, Bar?a say they cannot afford his wage. Something doesn't add up.

True, especially old Messi. Prime Messi today could be worth ridiculous amount of money.

malvolio

Lewandowski is clearly better right now. Even after accounting for Bayern's strength, goal + a game is best player in the world level. This is where Messi operated much of his career (goal + a game), did he not?

Neymar is a shade better right now, mostly because he is younger.

CR7 is also better than Messi right now. Scoring a lot more goals than Messi in a similarly shit team. Messi until the last 2 months was having an abysmal season.

So there you go ebc_99. For the record, this is not a discussion on career level or peak level. Messi's peak obliterates the peak of any of these 3 players. We all know that.

Does Neymar even play football anymore?

Cristiano better at what? Converting penaldos?

eaman

Messi's been scoring penaldos for much of this season until recently. Imagine being so far up his ass you don't even have the facts straight.

Does Ronaldo create as many chances. Messi showed why he is the better player when the two met a couple of months ago. If it wasn't for a couple of top buffon saves and a clear penalty involving messi not given barca would've topped the group

JamDav1982

Does Ronaldo create as many chances. Messi showed why he is the better player when the two met a couple of months ago. If it wasn't for a couple of top buffon saves and a clear penalty involving messi not given barca would've topped the group

Ronaldo was better in that game until Juve were well ahead. Then they stepped off it.

eaman

Ronaldo was better in that game until Juve were well ahead. Then they stepped off it.

Won a penalty but didn't do much else in open play. Messi will always dominate a game more than ronaldo no matter the score. If messi stayed around the box making runs all game he'd probably be ahead in the scoring charts but who wants to just watch that

Home of Barca Fans