Lionel Messi - v7

Raketa10

He lost his magic after Anfield, i think that has broken him mentally. I hope he wins Copa america and this gives him the power back.

I don't think that Anfield broke him. What broke him is our team full of idiots and Barca B level players. Sometimes he simply has no one to pass the ball to. Also there is no one in the midfield who can serve the ball to him. As a result he needs to go deep to get the ball and than he finds himself surrounded with 3-4 opposition players. Even Messi in his prime wouldn't look superb in this team.

Last edited:

serghei

He lost his magic after Anfield, i think that has broken him mentally. I hope he wins Copa america and this gives him the power back.

I think he just got old and his body doesn't help him that much vs top tier sides who are very physical and energetic and defend really compact. He doesn't have the energy to attack the 16m box like he used to. Now when he drops deep to get involved in the creating part, it takes him quite a while usually to move up and show up to finish chances. And when he does it, there's always a chance his finishing will be crap (he's just not as efficient as in the past). In his good days, this transition was very quick and seamless, and the finishing usually was on point.

He never had a rock-solid mentality, he was good obviously, but not outstanding in this area. He had a few key games in his prime in which the pressure got to him too, especially against physical-aggressive teams (Chelsea in 2009 and 2012, Inter tie in 2010, quite a few others).

Last edited:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I don't think that Anfield broke him. What broke him is our team full of idiots and Barca B level players. Sometimes he simply has no one to pass the ball to. Also there is no one in the midfield who can serve the ball to him. As a result he needs to go deep to get the ball and than he finds himself surrounded with 3-4 opposition players. Even Messi in his prime wouldn't look superb in this team.

thats true but nowadays he has so many ball losses and misses a lot of good chances which he has scored in the pre-Anfield era. Nevertheless as you said the team doesnt help him either, beside Frenkie / Messi / Dembele this team is trash.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I think he just got old and his body doesn't help him that much vs top tier sides who are very physical and energetic and defend really compact. He doesn't have the energy to attack the 16m box like he used to. Now when he drops deep to get involved in the creating part, it takes him quite a while usually to move up and show up to finish chances. And when he does it, there's always a chance his finishing will be crap (he's just not as efficient as in the past). In his good days, this transition was very quick and seamless, and the finishing usually was on point.

He never had a rock-solid mentality, he was good obviously, but not outstanding in this area. He had a few key games in his prime in which the pressure got to him too, especially against physical-aggressive teams (Chelsea in 2009 and 2012, Inter tie in 2010, quite a few others).

Yeah right, GOAT becomes old....

Raketa10

Yeah, but if we had a decent midfield he wouldn't need to put that much energy into creating part. He would be able to use all of his energy in the final third and his finishing would probably be much better. Nowadays we literally don't have any midfielder who can consistently provide that final pass. Maybe Pedri can get there in a couple of seasons but at the moment he is still to young to carry that burden.

Imagine Messi's frustration when there is no one in the midfield that can provide a decent final pass. In contrast, if he drops deep than there is no one in the box to execute his final pass. To be fair his current job on the field can be described as a Sisyphean. :)

Last edited:

BBZ8800

He started to drop deep in 2014, stopped in 2015 and continued from 2016.

He was dropping deep surrounded by Busi, Xavi, Iniesta, Fab and continued in 2016 with Iniesta and Busi.

What he wants exactly?
6 Xavis in midfield?

He drops deep because he wants to.
He drops deep because he wants to be involved all the time.
He drops deep because he wants spotlights on him.

It's not because of Pedri, Raki, Arthur, Vidal or anyone.

Messi does what he wants, when he wants, how he wants.

He brought glory, we gave him pharaoh's status in return.
He got used to that on field, off field and financial status and there is no way back now.

You can't teach a 34 years old horse new tricks or change his behavior.

Last edited:

Daniele

Posters were rightfully criticising Messi for his performances and attitude during that period where he was genuinely horrible. The issue is that you then had Messi Fans who couldn't accept any form of criticism of Messi even when warranted as well as posters who were/are overly critical of Messi appropriating all the blame on him.

People were spewing shit like we should be grateful he stayed and played with us like he doesn't fucking get paid ludicrous amounts of money he's unlikely to get anywhere else. It's a mutually beneficial relationship as long as Messi is able to perform at his alien levels so making it sound like he gave up a lot to play for this club and get paid this much is fucking retarded.

Basically Messi Fans vs Barca fans on a Barca forum thrown in with a couple of "haters" as you'd like to say

This is exactly the point.
Messi wasn't genuinely awful.
And this is not an opinion.
Busquets may have been awful.
Messi at 34 is no longer what he was 10 years ago, he had bad matches; but he has never been horrible with continuity.
Indeed, for a player of his age, considering physiological ups and downs, he is still extraordinary.

Same goes for the money.
Barcelona failed despite Messi and not DUE to Messi.
I am the first to condemn the salaries of footballers, but it makes no sense to focus on Messi's:
in capitalism every investment, if reirerated, yields a greater profit: if Messi earns like this, it is because it makes the team earn more.
These are facts, the rest is the psychotic narrative of this forum (which is ONLY in this forum)

Last edited:

Raketa10

He was dropping deep surrounded by Busi, Xavi, Iniesta, Fab and continued in 2016 with Iniesta and Busi.

What he wants exactly?
6 Xavis in midfield?

He got used to that on field, off field and financial status and there is no way back now.

Of course hi did, considering how shit was our midfield in recent years after Xavi and Iniesta aged and retired. Only in 2014/15 our midfield worked well. Also bare in mind that we had a proper 9 until this season so him dropping deep actually resulted in a bunch of assists. Problem is, there is no one now who can convert those passes to goals like Suarez did. I would say that buying a No.9 should be our top priority next summer. I suppose we will sign Garcia for free and rely on him, Araujo, Minuguesa, Lenglet and Pique during the next season. Unfortunatley, the real problem is that we desperately need one more midfielder and no.9. However, I honestly don't know where will we find money for those two positions.

The more I think the more I doubt that signing Wijnaldum and Depay for free will improve our squad significantly. Wijnaldum is over 30 and will probably end up like Pjanic did. Depay, on the other hand, is neither a winger nor a no.9 so we could have Griezmann 2.0.

Last edited:

What he wants exactly?
6 Xavis in midfield?

The stupidity in this post is unreal

CatalinR10

Let's hope The GOAT , the 6 times Ballon D'or , 6 time Europe golden boot winner , 10 times best player in Spain , 7 times Pichichi winner , 3 times Uefa Best player of the year , Fifa World player of the year , The Best Fifa Football Player IFFHS player of the decade and Laureus award scores against Alaves.

@Pedro

@KingLeo10

@Vilarrubi

@Hardy

@Devils

@Malvolio

malvolio

Let's hope The GOAT , the 6 times Ballon D'or , 6 time Europe golden boot winner , 10 times best player in Spain , 7 times Pichichi winner , 3 times Uefa Best player of the year , Fifa World player of the year , The Best Fifa Football Player IFFHS player of the decade and Laureus award scores against Alaves.

@Pedro

@KingLeo10

@Vilarrubi

@Hardy

@Devils

@Malvolio

hope is all we got right now :worthy:

Fati_Future_BallonDor

@Pedro

@KingLeo10

@Vilarrubi

@Hardy

@Devils

@Malvolio

@Fati_Future_BallonDor

Lets hope :barcascarf:

Home of Barca Fans