Lionel Messi - v7

Rory

We can populate this thread and talk about how Messi didn't run 3 yards to close down a centre back etc but reality from the beginning of this season is the squad was never good enough, just because we've had a few bright games doesn't mean jack.

Xaviniesta

Some people here need to stop thinking "he's back" after he takes care of fodder in La Liga. This is what he looks like against elite teams. If all he can do is offer goals against Alaves and the like, I'd rather take the L and let him go. Not worth the insane salary. The only one that's worth that amount of money is 2012 Messi.

exactly. ineffective against elite teams these days

serghei

Messi was poor tonight but the reason for the hammering was not in him. It was the defensive abilty of the midfield and the right hand side of pitch.

Midfielders were caught up because he was not doing any press at all, and not closing any pass in PSG's build-up. Likes of City won't torpedo and ditch their whole pressing scheme just to implement Messi. They would be idiots if they do that.

The problem is you can't have a pressing based strategy as long as Messi plays.

BarcaOG

Banned
uninterested and unmotivated messi is worse than being a man down since hes our best player and captain. its like having 9 players instread of 11

Windhook

Cant impact game from half way line against top teams the way most other top players can and in this side his and teams weaknesses are totally exposed.

Basically nowadays every major club knows that his second option in attack is to seek Jordi Alba on that long lob at the wing, which was introduced in the Lucho's first years. Not effective as it once was.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
What I find mindboggling is that he actually puts more of a defensive shift in La Liga games, I'm not even joking. He would at least close down the lanes, at best press relatively consistently. He gave up today as soon as it became 1-2.

Hardy

the question is if he can still make difference playing in a team where he doesn't play with other 5 walking dead, so in a team that can compensate his lack of workrate and pace.

serghei

What I find mindboggling is that he actually puts more of a defensive shift in La Liga games, I'm not even joking. He would at least close down the lanes, at best press relatively consistently. He gave up today as soon as it became 1-2.

That's where his frail mentality comes into play.

JamDav1982

Midfielders were caught up because he was not doing any press at all, and not closing any pass in PSG's build-up. Likes of City won't torpedo and ditch their whole pressing scheme just to implement Messi. They would be idiots if they do that.

The problem is you can't have a pressing based strategy as long as Messi plays.

He contributed to it but the players know that is what Messi is and allowed it to become the weakness it was as they targetted the right hand side.

serghei

the question is if he can still make difference playing in a team where he doesn't play with other 5 walking dead, so in a team that can compensate his lack of workrate and pace.

You can't compensate it. Not enough time to build that team. You'd need to have basically a great team for Messi to make a difference in CL. With a top class defense.

xxxxxx

Not sure I want him after that. Paying a huge transfer fee +130m per season for a player whose legs have gone would ruin us. We would fail FFP horrifically for a player who can't run in Pep's system. His salary alone is the price of Haaland, a striker whose father played for City. We need a young replacement for Aguero and maybe Alaba more than Messi (who will cost far more than both combined)

I don't think any club in the world can afford his wages in this Covid era, never mind a 200m transfer fee

He's still a top player when he's bothered, and I don't see why he would lack interest or motivation for City. He'd be playing in one of the best teams in the world and playing under Pep. We knew he wouldn't have motivation if the team is losing or not playing well..... simply that he didn't want to be here in the first place. It's going to affect his performance on the pitch.

Even with his big salary, he brings in a lot of money from marketing. Besides, he won't be on 1m a week..... it'll be more like 500k to 600k a week. He'll also be free, so you don't have to worry there. He's still a very good player, and I think he'd be great in a team like City. You'd be mad if you didn't want Messi.

The reason we wanted Messi gone in the summer is that we could have saved 134m from his salary and another 33m from his loyalty bonus. We could have potentially got a fee for him last summer. That would have helped towards our massive debt, and we could potentially have brought in younger players with huge potential.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans