Lionel Messi - v7

xxxxxx

I am sure he is staying simply because I think City and PSG don't even want him. It's just media BS. I don't see other club signing him. He has too much influence and can potentially disrupt the core of other teams. Now if you mean him going back to Argentina or MLS then that's another story. I think Messi can still provide to this team but in a more limited role where his minutes are observed.

Why wouldn't Pep/City want him? Pep loves Messi, and Messi's still a top player on his day, and if he plays in that City team, he can still do serious damage to other teams. He doesn't have to do a lot of running around if he's playing like a playmaker. I personally feel he'll do great in a team like City. Besides, I'm sure he won't lack motivation there as he has with us.

He also brings in a lot of money from marketing, so that's another positive from City's end. Basically, he'll end up paying for himself. He can also attract other top players to the clubs; players like Haaland will love to play alongside Messi. City can easily take the chance on a free transfer for roughly 3 years. It won't destroy their team. There is no negatives in signing Messi on a free.

Rory

Hope all the delusional Messi lovers around the world who do not care about Barca disappear at the exact moment Messi leaves somewhere else or retires.

What is caring about Barca? If Messi goes then how is this suddenly brilliant for us? Wanting the best for Messi at barcelona is as good as many barca fans here who want to see someone in his place who runs around more but ultimately is not good enough. Maybe we should throw another 100m at someone who doesn't score goals again? Barcelona are a club that have been successful sporadically throughout history. Messi's success for us has setup a dynasty where future generations of players will look to emulate and even overtake his success here further pushing Barca's success as time goes on. People don't even remotely understand what he's done for us. He's still even done relatively well this season, shit game today? yes. name 3 players that were good

JamDav1982

Why wouldn't Pep/City want him? Pep loves Messi, and Messi's still a top player on his day, and if he plays in that City team, he can still do serious damage to other teams. He doesn't have to do a lot of running around if he's playing like a playmaker. I personally feel he'll do great in a team like City. Besides, I'm sure he won't lack motivation there as he has with us.

He also brings in a lot of money from marketing, so that's another positive from City's end. Basically, he'll end up paying for himself. He can also attract other top players to the clubs; players like Haaland will love to play alongside Messi. City can easily take the chance on a free transfer for roughly 3 years. It won't destroy their team. There is no negatives in signing Messi on a free.

Are you not arguing Barca cant keep Messi as cant afford him and on other side saying City can because he brings marketing and will 'pay for himself'?

Cant have it both ways.

Jadentheman

What is caring about Barca? If Messi goes then how is this suddenly brilliant for us? Wanting the best for Messi at barcelona is as good as many barca fans here who want to see someone in his place who runs around more but ultimately is not good enough. Maybe we should throw another 100m at someone who doesn't score goals again? Barcelona are a club that have been successful sporadically throughout history. Messi's success for us has setup a dynasty where future generations of players will look to emulate and even overtake his success here further pushing Barca's success as time goes on. People don't even remotely understand what he's done for us. He's still even done relatively well this season, shit game today? yes. name 3 players that were good

Exactly. Maybe in the next 20-30 years they will be a kid that?s better than Messi. Even if not Messi already elevated the expectations of the game. Lots of players will be scoring 30-40 goals a season. In fact it?s starting to be expected for top players these days

malvolio

Exactly. Maybe in the next 20-30 years they will be a kid that?s better than Messi. Even if not Messi already elevated the expectations of the game. Lots of players will be scoring 30-40 goals a season. In fact it?s starting to be expected for top players these days

30-40 goals a season? who else is doing this on a regular basis ? all the top talent in the world right now isn't even close to messi/CR numbers.

xxxxxx

Are you not arguing Barca cant keep Messi as cant afford him and on other side saying City can because he brings marketing and will 'pay for himself'?

Cant have it both ways.

Which team is in terrible debt?

Messi's marketing doesn't pay for himself here due to the amount of debt we have. He does pay for himself at City because they're not terrible debt.

JohnN

Half this forum is gone if Messi leaves. I mean he is the best player this club has had, so that's expected.

Sometimes I really fail to understand the word "fan".
Aren't players like Messi, Iniesta, xavi, ronaldinho, ronaldo etc, the ones that attract people to football and ultimately to a club? Isn't the style of play or the good times? If not for those, why else would someone follow a club on the first place? Because the colors are nice?
It really makes no sense all this talk about real or fake fans.

Birdy

Hope all the delusional Messi lovers around the world who do not care about Barca disappear at the exact moment Messi leaves somewhere else or retires.

Honestly, good riddance. These people are toxic as hell. I prefer Barca fans, not Messi fanboys disguised as Barca fans.

Sometimes I really fail to understand the word "fan".
Aren't players like Messi, Iniesta, xavi, ronaldinho, ronaldo etc, the ones that attract people to football and ultimately to a club? Isn't the style of play or the good times? If not for those, why else would someone follow a club on the first place? Because the colors are nice?
It really makes no sense all this talk about real or fake fans.

The reasons one follows a club as a kid can be anything: from colors to players to style of play.
The question is what you do as an adult.
If as an adult you care more about Messi than about Barca, maybe you are not a Barca fan after all...

Here is the first fanboy at it.
If Messi created by himself that dynasty as you claim, why no CL since 2015?
Why the 18/19 team - with the best Messi ever according to some - was humiliated against a team playing with high intensity?

Needless to say, the list of people you are disrespecting with that statement is pretty long, starting with Pep, Xavi, Iniesta, and goes looong...

I don't think so.
Playing in LaLiga masks all the problems that get exposed when you play a top opponent in Europe, like tonight.
EPL is the strongest league in what Messi lacks: intensity, running, defending.
Scoring free-kicks and playing some beautiful through-balls will not make City any better, when they will lose one man in intensity, defending, and transitioning.

I think Pep is still the best coach in the world, but I am not sure he can mask that...

Last edited:

sikkboy

He's still a top player when he's bothered, and I don't see why he would lack interest or motivation for City. He'd be playing in one of the best teams in the world and playing under Pep. We knew he wouldn't have motivation if the team is losing or not playing well..... simply that he didn't want to be here in the first place. It's going to affect his performance on the pitch.

Even with his big salary, he brings in a lot of money from marketing. Besides, he won't be on 1m a week..... it'll be more like 500k to 600k a week. He'll also be free, so you don't have to worry there. He's still a very good player, and I think he'd be great in a team like City. You'd be mad if you didn't want Messi.

The reason we wanted Messi gone in the summer is that we could have saved 134m from his salary and another 33m from his loyalty bonus. We could have potentially got a fee for him last summer. That would have helped towards our massive debt, and we could potentially have brought in younger players with huge potential.

Mate, you're making far too much sense. that post won't be welcome round these parts this rabid lot have got a lynching to complete, after the previous faiures.

SmilerBam

Mate, you're making far too much sense. that post won't be welcome round these parts this rabid lot have got a lynching to complete, after the previous faiures.

They are like this because the only ''football'' they know is from football manager and especially fifa.That is what social media created.

Total-Football

I give him 2/10 tonight

A curious case this Messi.. Sometimes runs and dribbles like a wounded lion again the Granadas and the levantes just to stand still when the stakes are high.. Very moody

Home of Barca Fans