Lionel Messi - v7

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Laporta himself said that registering the 4 signings won't be a problem.

We're did this false narative, that even a free Messi is impossible, comes from?

If Messi plays for free, naturally the wage bill would still be 95% of our income, as Laporta said.

However, nobody seems to know if the current salary mass (without Messi's) is within the salary cap that La Liga imposed, and how much that salary cap really is. I believe a couple of seasons ago our total wage bill was over 600m or so.

Givenchy

We're did this false narative, that even a free Messi is impossible, comes from?

He also told us Messi would renew.. not sure I trust anything these presidents say. can easily see that being the next humiliation after the Messi situation ends.

xxxxxx

Laporta also said that Messi was going to stay and we'll have no problem registering him. Said the same thing for the past 2 months.

I don't believe that the deal fell apart at the last second. I honestly believe he knew more than he let on.

I'll believe it when I see it.

FC433

malvolio

He also told us Messi would renew.. not sure I trust anything these presidents say. can easily see that being the next humiliation after the Messi situation ends.

He stated multiple times that the combined salaries of those 4 are way less then the Mess renewal. Also, the new signings are already training and will play in the Ganper. Do you think we would have done that if they can't be signed?

He lied about wanting to renew Messi, but seems he doesn't lie about the 4 being registered.

Raketa10

If Messi plays for free, naturally the wage bill would still be 95% of our income, as Laporta said.

However, nobody seems to know if the current salary mass (without Messi's) is within the salary cap that La Liga imposed, and how much that salary cap really is. I believe a couple of seasons ago our total wage bill was over 600m or so.

Laporta is lying. Simply as that. This guy is actually offending Barca supporters by repeating diametrically different stories that make no sense at all. If we can register our new signings than solution for Messi could have been found. On the other side if we can't register our new signings than he is again lying.

IMHO he wanted to ged rid of Messi for some reason, that's obvious now. In the end there was still one month left and he could have put a maximum amount of pressure on Griezmann, Coutinho, Pjanic and Umtiti. I truly believed that Laporta was the right choice for our president, unfortunately I was terribly wrong. From today's point of view Font was a far better choice. This guy was at least honest and had some plan.

Last edited:

malvolio

Laporta is lying. Simply as that. This guy is actually offending Barca supporters by repeating diametrically different stories that make no sense at all. If we can register our new signings than solution for Messi could have been found. If we can't register our new signings than he is again lying. IMHO he wanted to ged rid of Messi for some reason, that's obvious now.

Most probably he wanted to break the camels back so as to build his own team again. And put his stamp on the new era. He did it before after all.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Laporta is lying. Simply as that. This guy is actually offending Barca supporters by repeating diametrically different stories that make no sense at all. If we can register our new signings than solution for Messi could have been found. On the other side if we can't register our new signings than he is again lying.

IMHO he wanted to ged rid of Messi for some reason, that's obvious now. In the end there was still one month left and he could have put a maximum amount of pressure on Griezmann, Coutinho, Pjanic and Umtiti. I truly believed that Laporta was the right choice for our president, unfortunately I was terribly wrong. From today's point of view Font was a far better choice. This guy was at least honest and had some plan.

What different stories? Laporta's biggest fault is that he should have been more forthcoming with the difficulties in renewing and registering Messi, not just telling us "everything is progressing nicely" etc when two deals were rejected by La Liga.

The club prepared two deals for Messi (both were accepted by him) but both were rejected by La Liga. Laporta probably saw no way around it and just chose to end it now. Do you really want the club to drag it until the end of the transfer window and then come out and tell Messi that "Sorry, we can't renew you, we tried though" and leave Messi club-less for at least half of a season? That would be a total dick move.

Raketa10

Most probably he wanted to break the camels back so as to build his own team again. And put his stamp on the new era. He did it before after all.

Yeah but at that point he had young Messi and undoubtedly best Barca team of all time led by Pep Guardiola. Furthermore, Ronaldinho and Deco were making troubles all of the time so it was a logical decision to move on. Today's situation is not even similar. Messi is still the best player on the planet and no.1 candidate for Ballon d'Or. He generates probably 1/3 of our revenue.

In addition to that we are broke, our team is horrible and we have a clown coach on the bench. This new era can't be build on 18y old Pedri, De Jong and Fati who may never return on his previous level. As things stand right now we'll probably have troubles to renew Fati and Pedri next summer.

Last edited:

Raketa10

What different stories? Laporta's biggest fault is that he should have been more forthcoming with the difficulties in renewing and registering Messi, not just telling us "everything is progressing nicely" etc when two deals were rejected by La Liga.

The club prepared two deals for Messi (both were accepted by him) but both were rejected by La Liga. Laporta probably saw no way around it and just chose to end it now. Do you really want the club to drag it until the end of the transfer window and then come out and tell Messi that "Sorry, we can't renew you, we tried though" and leave Messi club-less for at least half of a season? That would be a total dick move.

A dick move was to constantly claim that we will definitely renew his contract for over a month. Do you honestly believe that everything was going well and than all collapsed in one day? No way in hell.

Last edited:

xXKonan

I don't think we will ever get the full story or what Laporta is really thinking.

We know we have issues with the wages and the stupid wage cap Tebas put on. But there's clearly more to the story behind the scenes that we just don't know about as well.

malvolio

Yeah but at that point he had young Messi and undoubtedly best Barca team of all time led by Pep Guardiola. Furthermore, Ronaldinho and Deco were making troubles all of the time so it was a logical decision to move on. Today's situation is not even similar. Messi is still the best player on the planet and no.1 candidate for Ballon d'Or. He generates probably 1/3 of our revenue.

In addition to that we are broke, our team is horrible and we have a clown coach on the bench. This new era can't be build on 18y old Pedri, De Jong and Fati who may never return on his previous level. As things stand right now we'll probably have troubles to renew Fati and Pedri next summer.

Messi is a far bigger figure than Ronaldinho. Because he is still the best in the world and because he was/is a professional through and through.

Laporta knows that this season will be sacrificed and objective is to stay in top 4. He'll get rid of Koeman and other players next summer. This story about the harsh inheritance I've heard it even from Rosell, when he cam after Laporta and found out that we were hundreds of millions in debt.

Club had an audit and received BBB rating. Which is not AAA, but not broke club either. My take is that next summer we'll go for a new superstar.

Home of Barca Fans