Lionel Messi - v7

blaugrana1987

Okay. Why are you so upset? What is your theory then? Tell me how it is in reality?

All things are fine and there's no conflict?

Let's hear your version then.
My theory is this.

Barcelona has no cash, we lost tons in addition duo to COVID. Our squad is old, wages have ballooned and generation is DONE (like Bulls 98'). This means its time for rebuild. Given that we have no cash, and given that our sporting project and board have been, to put it mildly, lackluster for years, player like Messi who still has 2-3 years at top level wants to spend it in team that has heads and tails and can fight for wins.

Messi staying in Barcelona till 35-36, while we get out of this mess, is counterproductive for him. He will score 40-50 a year and drag this team to 2nd place in La Liga and perhaps Quarter finals in CL, but no further than that. Which means, it is all in vain, we will lose with him or without him. This is why he is leaving and it makes complete sense. Its logical and expected.

Messi leaving because someone roughed up his friend over phone call and putting pressure with TRANSFER REQUEST, just to play with his amigos for few more years and CONTINUE to lose is completely illogical and honestly sounds like it is coming from people who haven't followed Barca and Messi for last 10-15 years. When you read other forums, from other teams, they are more objective and understanding then Barca fans are. They can see that current Barca sporting project, our financials and board are complete shitter. They can see our squad is old one, with wages completely ballooning to the point we have to chase players out of the club, and to them its clear why Messi is leaving.

To amigo crew? "Fucking Messi just wants to continue playing with his friends even if we are loosing. What a fucking pathetic brat!". Nonsense. Logically makes 0 sense, it just doesn't. I could accept this in 2016-2017, but not today, today - situation is dire and Messi knows it.

eaman

I truly do not care about what made him make that decision. The club and the supporters deserve better treatment and Messi failed us.

I'm sure he wants the club to get some money for him or do you want him to stay and cost the club his wages plus the money they would lose if he goes for free next year

Vilarrubi

My theory is this.

Barcelona has no cash, we lost tons in addition duo to COVID. Our squad is old, wages have ballooned and generation is DONE (like Bulls 98'). This means its time for rebuild. Given that we have no cash, and given that our sporting project and board have been, to put it mildly, lackluster for years, player like Messi who still has 2-3 years at top level wants to spend it in team that has heads and tails and can fight for wins.

Messi staying in Barcelona till 35-36, while we get out of this mess, is counterproductive for him. He will score 40-50 a year and drag this team to 2nd place in La Liga and perhaps Quarter finals in CL, but no further than that. Which means, it is all in vain, we will lose with him or without him. This is why he is leaving and it makes complete sense. Its logical and expected.

Messi leaving because someone roughed up his friend over phone call and putting pressure with TRANSFER REQUEST, just to play with his amigos for few more years and CONTINUE to lose is completely illogical and honestly sounds like it is coming from people who haven't followed Barca and Messi for last 10-15 years. When you read other forums, from other teams, they are more objective and understanding then Barca fans are. They can see that current Barca sporting project, our financials and board are complete shitter. They can see our squad is old one, with wages completely ballooning to the point we have to chase players out of the club, and to them its clear why Messi is leaving.

To amigo crew? "Fucking Messi just wants to continue playing with his friends even if we are loosing. What a fucking pathetic brat!". Nonsense. Logically makes 0 sense, it just doesn't. I could accept this in 2016-2017, but not today, today - situation is dire and Messi knows it.

Spot on.

Porque

My theory is this.

Barcelona have no money but Barto (yeah, i know) did say in the press conference post Bayern defeat that there is money to spend if we reduce the wage bill. I assume that as a result of reducing the salary cap that the board will increase their capacity of getting a loan.

So that is what brings us to where we are right now. Selling Vidal, Umtiti, Rakitic, Rakitic as quick as possible and by any means possible. For those refusing to leave (Suarez confirmed, Umtiti almost confirmed, Vidal assumed) then the club is structuring agreements to end their contracts.

That is what we know before Messi stepped in. Now whether his decision is because he truly wants one last run at a CL at a different club (like Henry before moving to us), or whether it is because he disagree's with Barcelona's current drastic plan of action is the question.

By the same arguement, is Barto anticipating this Messi response and think that "forcing" Messi leave is a huge cog to reduce the wage bill and bring in a large transfer fee, or has he genuinely been caught off guard by Messi fax. That is the other angle.

For me it is not as black and white as you put it but a mixture of grey and parts of both, with other things that we will only truly know after the dust has settled. But right now we can only read the actions of all involved, and Messi response to the 8-2 in silence is eerily similar to Neymar going quiet when he was leaving, which would be the advice of any lawyer.

Zebulun

if messi leaves, this club will never be the same. history will always remember that a one club man, our greatest ever player thought things was so bad that he'd rather leave. that's why for me the idea of messi leaving has far more implications than money.

Mitchell1978

My theory is this.

From everything i've read this has been building for a long time, when he made those comments after the loss against Osasuna, looking back, it was clear he was sick of it and probably already seriously contemplating leaving.

Andrew M

I think we're getting too fanciful with these potential deals for us. I imagine City's main hope will be to get him for free still.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
I think we're getting too fanciful with these potential deals for us. I imagine City's main hope will be to get him for free still.

Lol I'd be happy with 120m; half their starting squad and 100m for Messi ain't happening so I'm surprised some people are actually running with it lol...

mc_lovin

Legally we are on the winning side apparently.

If he wanted to join Newells I would be okay with him leaving for free. But not Manchester City, who are direct competition. If he really thinks we are morally obliged to terminate his contract things will get dirty. And people will shit on Bartomeu for that, but its an unwinnable situation for him. He HAS to stand firm for a reasonable fee.

.blitzer

My theory is this.

I agree, but this also shows Messi was in his comfort zone playing with the amigos and thinking that maybe having a chance to win CL, like last year, in which we could've been in the final against fucking Tottenham. And maybe he was just deluded and not seeing the amigos are not at the same level they were a few years ago.
The Bayern disaster was the last straw, or maybe hiring Koeman was, or the way Su?rez was treated.

I do believe he wants to compete for his last 2 years and he doesn't seen that happening here because the rebuilding of the squad failed. But he is also at fault for that failure. I think it's difficult to argue against his and others' exaggerated power in the club's decision making.

And the way he handled this season's ending and his exit are also not good.

Unfortunately this situation is a lose-lose. The club gets fucked, Messi looks bad too.

Best case scenario currently is for this saga to end as fast as possible and for the club to gain something financially from his transfer.

Neymessi

if messi leaves, this club will never be the same. history will always remember that a one club man, our greatest ever player thought things was so bad that he'd rather leave. that's why for me the idea of messi leaving has far more implications than money.

This is so true, even from a Messi standpoint this makes sense because his legacy will be very very different if he left. Not many are taking this into account while discussing Messi leaving.

Andrew M

Legally we are on the winning side apparently.

If he wanted to join Newells I would be okay with him leaving for free. But not Manchester City, who are direct competition. If he really thinks we are morally obliged to terminate his contract things will get dirty. And people will shit on Bartomeu for that, but its an unwinnable situation for him. He HAS to stand firm for a reasonable fee.

Yes I agree with that. We can't just gift him to a euro rival.

I really don't want things to get ugly and for his legacy here to have a sour, bitter end, but ultimately the rebuilding process must take priority.

blaugrana1987

I agree, but this also shows Messi was in his comfort zone playing with the amigos and thinking that maybe having a chance to win CL, like last year, in which we could've been in the final against fucking Tottenham. And maybe he was just deluded and not seeing the amigos are not at the same level they were a few years ago.
The Bayern disaster was the last straw, or maybe hiring Koeman was, or the way Su?rez was treated.

I do believe he wants to compete for his last 2 years and he doesn't seen that happening here because the rebuilding of the squad failed. But he is also at fault for that failure. I think it's difficult to argue against his and others' exaggerated power in the club's decision making.

And the way he handled this season's ending and his exit are also not good.

Unfortunately this situation is a lose-lose. The club gets fucked, Messi looks bad too.

Best case scenario currently is for this saga to end as fast as possible and for the club to gain something financially from his transfer.
I mean, Messi is the last guy I'll point finger at for Liverpool loss (Suarez also doesn't deserve it IMO). We were on brink from collapse in last 2 years and only his goals have saved us (1st leg in Barca). Had Dembele scored that one, we would have probably won CL but that was all Messi and Ter Stegen that leg. Dembele was 130m worth of nothing buy, and certainly no amigo. As was Couthino...And Griezmann...

behindbrowneyes

According to the theguardian.com:
If the conflict is taken to court, Fifa can oblige the Spanish football federation to issue an international transfer certificate pending a resolution. The risk for any club that sign him in those circumstances is that if arbitration finds in Barcelona?s favour they would be liable to pay the ?700m buy-out clause. Should it find in Messi?s favour, he would be free. A third option would be for adjudicators to fix a fee.

Neither City nor Barcelona will want to risk to lose the case in court. That's why they'll find a way to reach an agreement for a transfer fee which will be something around his market value. Saying they want to keep him is just tactics. If City comes around with a decent offer, they'll take it. Everything else is just negotiation tactics.

.blitzer

I mean, Messi is the last guy I'll point finger at for Liverpool loss (Suarez also doesn't deserve it IMO). We were on brink from collapse in last 2 years and only his goals have saved us (1st leg in Barca). Had Dembele scored that one, we would have probably won CL but that was all Messi and Ter Stegen that leg. Dembele was 130m worth of nothing buy, and certainly no amigo. As was Couthino...And Griezmann...
That's not what I meant at all. Just saying we had a very good chance to win last year and that might have made things look like the squad wasn't so bad, Valverde was not a problem and there was no need to rebuild.

Home of Barca Fans