Lionel Messi - v7

Batistuta9

We're not talking about player quality. We're talking about personality here. Gerrard and Totti have the personality of a leader. Messi doesn't. Think more about Puyol vs Messi. Messi has done much more at a football level than Puyol. But Puyol is ten times the better captain. Because he has the personality of a leader.

Messi doesn't have the personality traits to be a team leader. One look in the locker-room videos and you can tell he doesn't have it.

Puyol is a natural born leader, no arguments there. Players that played with Gerrard say he wasn't vocal and used to lead by example, carragher was much more vocal than him.

As for totti, I don't know how good he was as a leader as I didn't follow Roma too much later on, but I used to get the vibe that De Rossi was more of a leader than totti. Messi isn't a vocal captain, no arguments there, but to say he isn't a leader is wrong. The guy has been carrying the burden as the go to guy for club and country for years. A lesser player would have crumbled to pieces. There are different traits of leadership.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Puyol is a natural born leader, no arguments there. Players that played with Gerrard say he wasn't vocal and used to lead by example, carragher was much more vocal than him.

As for totti, I don't know how good he was as a leader as I didn't follow Roma too much later on, but I used to get the vibe that De Rossi was more of a leader than totti. Messi isn't a vocal captain, no arguments there, but to say he isn't a leader is wrong. The guy has been carrying the burden as the go to guy for club and country for years. A lesser player would have crumbled to pieces. There are different traits of leadership.

Definitely saw that leadership you speak about 2nd leg against liverpool and vs bayern... You are equating being insanely good enough to carry a team with what leadership is. If he kept playing without sulking or walking around id totally agree that he was a leader who leads by example, unfortunately recent messi isnt that type of player anymore and that's fine; He already has enough pressure having had to carry the team for so long.

JamDav1982

As I said yesterday City will not be offering huge money for Messi and will try to break contract using Webster ruling.

Barca will be against that as will most likely be below 100m and won?t get cash now.

Can see it being a deal where Barca get 50-60m and some fringe players like Garcia/Angelino who have no real FFP cost to inlude.

These 100m plus Silva, Jesus etc come across as pure fantasy.

Batistuta9

Definitely saw that leadership you speak about 2nd leg against liverpool and vs bayern... You are equating being insanely good enough to carry a team with what leadership is. If he kept playing without sulking or walking around id totally agree that he was a leader who leads by example, unfortunately recent messi isnt that type of player anymore and that's fine; He already has enough pressure having had to carry the team for so long.

It's easy to pick games here and there. Where was Ramos's leadership when we battered them 5-0 and 6-2. Gerrard and totti have taken heavy beatings. The best leader in the world wouldn't have stopped us losing. The team is done.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
It's easy to pick games here and there. Where was Ramos's leadership when we battered them 5-0 and 6-2. Gerrard and totti have taken heavy beatings. The best leader in the world wouldn't have stopped us losing. The team is done.

They may have got thoroughly beaten but they didn't give up... didnt walk around sulking....
Suarez tried more in both games (although he was quite useless but he still tried)

ParmaPassion

You guys fvcking suck! I've been a Parmafan since 96 and have witnessed some great players in my team. We've had world champions and great legendary players. I've also seen other great and legendary players in other much bigger clubs in italy and have not witnessed the trashy way fans can treat their legends. You and Real are the only club to treat a legend like yesterdays news and already talking shit about a player that actually made this club the way it is now. If you think for a second that your club was this famous before then you're deluded as fvck! Sure, no player is bigger than the club but spare me the bullshit. A player like Messi transcends the legendary status. He is beyond that. Again, I've seen legends and Messi is a different category. People here talk about how fans were always supporting him and he is now betraying him. May I remind you of the time people waited for him outside of camp nou to cuss him out for running less then the gk Pinto? Oh please, you guys are some fairweather fans. You know nothing about backing up a club or a player that made the club the way Messi has made this barcelona. He owes you nothing at all and people should understand that its one thing to turn your back on someone like Suarez and another thing to talk about a player like Messi.

Plus, have the decency to at least wait until the drama is over.....

khaled_a_d

As I said yesterday City will not be offering huge money for Messi and will try to break contract using Webster ruling.

IIRC he needs to tell the club 15 days before end of season? no?
And in general, there is a gentleman unwritten agreement that no club would do it and sign player for such way, as it opens a Pandora box for them.
City could go out of the way and do it, but it would be a precedent for such high profile player

JamDav1982

IIRC he needs to tell the club 15 days before end of season? no?
And in general, there is a gentleman unwritten agreement that no club would do it and sign player for such way, as it opens a Pandora box for them.
City could go out of the way and do it, but it would be a precedent for such high profile player

Let?s see but I think City will turn to that rather than pay a big fee but threat of it will see Barca agree deal much lower than is being quoted.

Hide behind the clause debate and say asking FIFA to set fee in these unusual circumstances.

Andrew M

We're not talking about player quality. We're talking about personality here. Gerrard and Totti have the personality of a leader. Messi doesn't. Think more about Puyol vs Messi. Messi has done much more at a football level than Puyol. But Puyol is ten times the better captain. Because he has the personality of a leader.

Messi doesn't have the personality traits to be a team leader. One look in the locker-room videos and you can tell he doesn't have it.

Totti? The same guy who used to spit at people? Great leadership qualities.

Batistuta9

They may have got thoroughly beaten but they didn't give up... didnt walk around sulking....
Suarez tried more in both games (although he was quite useless but he still tried)

He tried against Liverpool and created a few chances. Against Bayern, there was no point. The gulf between the two teams was too big.

JamDav1982

He tried against Liverpool and created a few chances. Against Bayern, there was no point. The gulf between the two teams was too big.

No point?!!

Just give up and contribute to a historic hammering.

That is about as low as it gets as a leader.

Let?s just accept players giving up if can?t see game bring within reach.

The excuses for Messi are unreal at times.

JamDav1982

He tried until it was 5-2. After Alphonso Davies humiliated semedo, the game was done and the whole team gave up.

Giving up is as low as it gets and contributing to a historical hammering is the result.

Absolutely embarrassing that ?giving up? is used as an excuse for Messi or any player.

Game lost but pride is at stake.

Any player that thinks like that should be gone.

Home of Barca Fans