Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

TheStig

Such clutch player that he led his team to 1 La liga title, 2 Serie A and 1 CL while playing for the best teams in the world during his career. Laughable compared to Modrić, Xavi and Iniesta.

The reason his myth exist is the WC98 finals goals (just the goals, not his play), Leverkusen goal and WC06 wich he ruined in the end because he can't control himself. And a couple of nice touches and flicks. A very good player but this argument started because someone called him Goat lol, not even close.

serghei

Such clutch player that he led his team to 1 La liga title, 2 Serie A and 1 CL while playing for the best teams in the world during his career. Laughable compared to Modrić, Xavi and Iniesta.

The reason his myth exist is the WC98 finals goals (just the goals, not his play), Leverkusen goal and WC06 wich he ruined in the end because he can't control himself. And a couple of nice touches and flicks. A very good player but this argument started because someone called him Goat lol, not even close.

Well, 2 world cup final goals are huge. Goalazo in CL final is huge. Who stopped Modric from banging 2 goals vs France in World Cup final from 2018?

He is not that player as to deliver killer blows like an assassin out of nothing. Iniesta was, but even he was not at the level of Zidane in this area imo.

TheStig

It's huge but not enough to eclipse 15+ years of Modrić's brilliant consistent play and a trophy cabinet much bigger.

Can't compare national teams. What Luka did with Croatia is more than winning it with stacked France. And he wasn't even very good in 98, he just scored those two headers.

I'm not saying Zizou was bad, he just wasn't as good and especially consistent as Luka.

Windhook

I don't consider Zidane GOAT, but he was among the top 3 of his era. I read somewhere he was interested in a Barca move after the Bordeaux phenomenon. Instead we ended up with Christophe Dugarry.

Anyway, no need to disrespect a legend because some punk said he's the GOAT. It's like shitting on Ronaldinho for the same reason from Real Madrid fan perspective.

TheStig

I'm not shitting on him, I am just saying he's not as good and consistent as Modrić was. Nobody was, only Luka, Xavi and Iniesta belong to the top. Zz is probably the next one behind them.

Windhook

I'm not shitting on him, I am just saying he's not as good and consistent as Modrić was. Nobody was, only Luka, Xavi and Iniesta belong to the top. Zz is probably the next one behind them.
It's not shitting and "disrespect", which I used wrongly, but the downgrade of Zizou's legacy. On my list he's above Modric and Iniesta. Xavi played at different position and comparing them seems off.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Well, 2 world cup final goals are huge. Goalazo in CL final is huge. Who stopped Modric from banging 2 goals vs France in World Cup final from 2018?

He is not that player as to deliver killer blows like an assassin out of nothing. Iniesta was, but even he was not at the level of Zidane in this area imo.

Dude you really cant expect from Modric who plays for Crotia to bang 2 goals against France, he cant leave the midfield and go forward

That Modric&Raki led a team like Crotia to the final is already HUGE :worthy:

serghei

Dude you really cant expect from Modric who plays for Crotia to bang 2 goals against France

That Modric&Raki led a team like Crotia to the final is already HUGE :worthy:

Anyone can score against anyone if he comes up with the right skill and the right execution. The great difficulty comes with producing your best in the most difficult moments.

First of all Modric is not as imposing of a player as Zidane was. I don't think I've ever seen him score a header from a corner for example.

I know this may not seem big, but when it gets you a World Cup, it's huge.

Put it like this. If Modric was in France team in the World Cup Final in 1998, the chances France gets a 2-0 lead are zero. I cannot say the same about anything Modric did really. To say, oh I think Zidane couldn't have done this even at his best.

Last edited:

serghei

Problem with Modric's argument is that people can't even pinpoint his prime very well, due to his career lacking high-end definitory moments leading directly to glory.

But he was very consistent at being a world class player.

Home of Barca Fans