Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Joan

You think so?

Seen many people put Modric in top five all-time along with Zidane, Xavi and Iniesta.
His consistency is admirable but if we count years at the top, started only after his move to Madrid. He was 27 by then. So it is not a straightforward argument.

Zidane, Xavi, and Iniesta certainly had much higher peaks. And one could argue had just as many years at the top.

KingLeo10

ZZ was absolute class. Cunt but his leadership presence and aura were almost Maradona level.

Panenka penalty goal in WC final 06 against prime Buffon (imagine the balls to do this) :lol:
2 headers to kill WC 98 final
Volley golazo to win CL final

Modric has no such standout moments.

serghei

ZZ was absolute class. Cunt but his leadership presence and aura were almost Maradona level.

Panenka penalty goal in WC final 06 against prime Buffon (imagine the balls to do this) :lol:
2 headers to kill WC 98 final
Volley golazo to win CL final

Modric has no such standout moments.

In that match, Buffon also had like probably 2nd best critical save I've ever seen from a keeper at such a level after Dibu's save.

KingLeo10

Another interesting data point is that there are only a select few players who were main guys in 2 WC finals:

Pele (he played in 2 WC finals in 58 and 70), won 2/2
Beckenbauer, won 1/2
Maradona, won 1/2
R9, won 1/2
ZZ , won 1/2
Messi, won 1/2

Basically, you can't tell the story of football without these players. Obviously, this is not the GOAT list, but making 2 WC finals as main guy and winning at least 1 is insanely hard feat :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Another discussion when it comes to Modric is whether he was the more important midfielder to Real Madrid or if that was Toni Kroos.

KingLeo10

Another one would be that midfield was their least effective compartment after defense (gk included), and attack.
Defense and GK to me was their standout. How many ties where Ramos, Pepe, Varane, Marcelo, Carvajal pulled crazy goals or assists or clutched up against the opposition's best attackers...or Courtois and Navas turned into tier A+ GKs.

Midfield and attack has it much easier when the backline holds firm, especially under pressure and away from home. It's no coincidence that RM is the only team that consistently beat Bayern at Bayern's home in the 10s.

In both of Ernie's years, the attack did the job in the home leg, and the defense + GK (especially GK) shat the bed in the away leg. RM's attackers could have an off night and still scrape by.

serghei

Think Madrid managed to be one of the only big teams to ever lose possession vs Simeone's Atletico in 2016 CL final :lol:. Too many times they just skipped midfield combinations and played direct, or built on the flanks with frequent crosses to their strikers. And set pieces with that fucker Ramos obviously.

I'd rank their CBs and fullbacks very highly, Pepe, Ramos, Marcelo and Carvajal... doesn't get better than that from what I've seen.

Home of Barca Fans