Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

Fati_Future_BallonDor

He's the greatest player of all time for me (alongside Maradona) but the sheer celebrity worship the likes of he and Ronaldo receive for being able to kick a ball about well is repulsive to be honest.

We all love football but it means very little in the grand scheme of things. You can live without it. Save your admiration for those who work on curing diseases.

I hate both he and Ronaldo as people.

tbf, prime Messi and Ronaldo helped many ppl mentally

imagine you had a bad day but you can watch young Messi/Cristiano in the evening

happiness level = +1000%

unfortunately, this was the last time when football was so famous

the kids of the new generation dont like football like we did when we were young

RIP football

Maradona37

tbf, prime Messi and Ronaldo helped many ppl mentally

imagine you had a bad day but you can watch young Messi/Cristiano in the evening

happiness level = +1000%

unfortunately, this was the last time when football was so famous

the kids of the new generation dont like football like we did when we were young

RIP football
I would suggest that if you (not you personally, a general you) are relying that much on a footballer or a game to make you happy (and I did too in the past) there are problems in your own life, rather than that footballer being so special.

It seems endemic in society too. It feeds into worship of the rich and loving footballers is simply an extension of that (though admittedly it's better to idolise someone very talented than a nepotism-based royal family member or something).

Maradona37

And I'd also suggest the reasons Gen Z and Alpha kids aren't into football like we were (though I am not sure that is necessarily true) is the rise of the internet and social media, and so much more competing for their attention. When we were kids there was little else to do than play and watch football. There was no internet or streaming apps, video games were more expensive.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

I would suggest that if you (not you personally, a general you) are relying that much on a footballer or a game to make you happy (and I did too in the past) there are problems in your own life, rather than that footballer being so special.

definitely dude, i am less interested in football when life goes well and more interested when life doesnt work as i want *cry*

It seems endemic in society too. It feeds into worship of the rich and loving footballers is simply an extension of that (though admittedly it's better to idolise someone very talented than a nepotism-based royal family member or something).

we humans are not intelligent guys *cry more*

Maradona37

definitely dude, i am less interested in football when life goes well and more interested when life doesnt work as i want *cry*

we humans are not intelligent guys *cry more*
Yeah I find that too, that it becomes more of a crutch and a cope when depression hits. You feel awful but it's still fun to watch Messi or Ronaldo or laugh at Man United losing.

I wouldn't say we aren't intelligent - more that we are our own worst enemies and absolute slaves to our basest most primal needs. Hence, we wanna see modern day gladiators fight it out on the pitch in competition at the very highest level. Boxing is a bit like that too - an outlet for male aggression.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

And I'd also suggest the reasons Gen Z and Alpha kids aren't into football like we were (though I am not sure that is necessarily true) is the rise of the internet and social media, and so much more competing for their attention. When we were kids there was little else to do than play and watch football. There was no internet or streaming apps, video games were more expensive.

yep you have more competition

in our days we had football, football, football

when i was young and old dude said to me 'If you dont like football, you are not a man!'

these days the kids rather play Fortnite than Fifa

it's over dude

Maradona37

yep you have more competition

in our days we had football, football, football

when i was young and old dude said to me 'If you dont like football, you are not a man!'

these days the kids rather play Fortnite than Fifa

it's over dude
Yeah. Ironically though football is thriving more than ever financially so who knows. People clearly still love the game and I see kids everywhere wearing football tops, playing, going to stadiums.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah I find that too, that it becomes more of a crutch and a cope when depression hits. You feel awful but it's still fun to watch Messi or Ronaldo or laugh at Man United losing.

yeah dude but the older you become the more you understand the coping thing, as a kid it's easier to fool yourself *cry a river*
I wouldn't say we aren't intelligent - more that we are our own worst enemies and absolute slaves to our basest most primal needs. Hence, we wanna see modern day gladiators fight it out on the pitch in competition at the very highest level. Boxing is a bit like that too - an outlet for male aggression.

yeah i like watching boxing...

Maradona37

yeah dude but the older you become the more you understand the coping thing, as a kid it's easier to fool yourself *cry a river*

yeah i like watching boxing...
I am not a boxing fan and have nothing against anyone who is. I just think it feeds into man's basest instincts - seeing people hurt each other and watching a gladiatorial contest. It's part of the human expression - it's been going for all of history. Humans are violent.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah. Ironically though football is thriving more than ever financially so who knows. People clearly still love the game and I see kids everywhere wearing football tops, playing, going to stadiums.

i see less and less kids wearing jerseys

in my young days the playground fields where you can play football were always full! i mean always, it didnt matter if it was 3 a.m. or rainy and cold

these days my guy they are to 90% empty

the kids dont want to kick the ball dude

most fans are the older one like us *cry*

in poor countries football is still famous but even there you see slowly it goes to the 'wrong' direction

Maradona37

i see less and less kids wearing jerseys

in my young days the playground fields where you can play football were always full! i mean always, it didnt matter if it was 3 a.m. or rainy and cold

these days my guy they are to 90% empty

the kids dont want to kick the ball dude

most fans are the older one like us *cry*

in poor countries football is still famous but even there you see slowly it goes to the 'wrong' direction
Yeah maybe I am exaggerating. It's true you don't see kids on the streets anymore - but there's more coaching programmes, more 'regimented' and 'organised' football play on 4G pitches and stuff like that.

That raw visceral stuff though of playing in the street against the wall or fence under the lights until your mum or dad shouted you in at midnight seems gone though. Streets are no longer as safe too, another problem.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah maybe I am exaggerating. It's true you don't see kids on the streets anymore - but there's more coaching programmes, more 'regimented' and 'organised' football play on 4G pitches and stuff like that.

Yeah dude but where are these super kids?? With better preparation they play worse than us who only trained on crap pitches

if i would be 16 again Barca, Real and Bayern would sell their best players to sign me

its no coincidence that the football level decreased so much

That raw visceral stuff though of playing in the street against the wall or fence under the lights until your mum or dad shouted you in at midnight seems gone though. Streets are no longer as safe too, another problem.

street safeness has decreased but then we wouldnt see these kids anymore outside

but they are still there, just dont play football but smoking vape and playing games on their mobile phone

there was a specific group which you would always see in the streets playing football 20 years ago, in Germany we call them the 'Talahons'

Maradona37

Yeah dude but where are these super kids?? With better preparation they play worse than us who only trained on crap pitches

if i would be 16 again Barca, Real and Bayern would sell their best players to sign me

its no coincidence that the football level decreased so much

street safeness has decreased but then we wouldnt see these kids anymore outside

but they are still there, just dont play football but smoking vape and playing games on their mobile phone

there was a specific group which you would always see in the streets playing football 20 years ago, in Germany we call them the 'Talahons'
Yeah you're right on some of that mate. Footballers in general now are more coached and athletic. I was saying this today - even Brasil is more European in style and more regimented. Maybe it's with increasing capitalism in the world and increasing money in the game even the areas with fewer resources have to somehow conform to a more Western European style of football.

Birdy will be all over this but it does feel like there's less magic in the game.

Home of Barca Fans