Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi V2

delancey

Hell no. Keep Messi away from the club.

Our attack is pretty bad but our defense and pressing is great. Don't compromise that, just try and add different attackers who can keep some kind of work rate standard and not compromise the structure.

The most effective press is a team press. If one or two guys stop pressing the whole thing is pointless.

Ferran/Gavi/Fati/Kounde etc put them on the block to fund some new attackers and midfielders but no Messi!!!
Pressing is only effective against big teams if our attack takes advantage of opportunities through creative, diverse and unpredictable tactics. That has nothing to do with our players, and everything to do with our tactics. We won’t be successful in Europe as long as our pressing results in cross and inshallah tactics. Messi, by default, solves that issue. Free kicks from Messi alone against teams with superior tactics - the teams that have studied our predictability and counter it effectively - will make all the difference in the world.

Those extra goals out of nowhere, that is what we are missing. I mean, Messi shooting from outside the box and scoring, when was the last time our team did that? :lol:

JamDav1982

If Alba leaves... who will Messi pal about with in the squad?

Always seems to have 2/3 he is tight with... Roberto? Maybe but didnt appear to be in past.

Di Maria be signed possibly.

mc_lovin

Ferran/Gavi/Fati/Kounde etc put them on the block to fund some new attackers and midfielders but no Messi!!!
Yeah, lets get rid of an 18-years old La Masia kid, who's a starter in a League winning team. Or Kounde, who helped to fix our defence.

Some people here have zero loyalty. Thank fuck you are not in charge.

JamDav1982

Yeah, lets get rid of an 18-years old La Masia kid, who's a starter in a League winning team. Or Kounde, who helped to fix our defence.

Yet you would rather sell FDJ than Gavi when FDJ been levels above.

'Loyalty'.

Gavi wont be sold but he has not been great and very lucky to be a constant starter in a league winning team given how poor he has been for a lot of it.

Is 'loyalty' a reason to keep likes of Raphinha rather than trying to sell him if think it is for good of team?

Just pick and choose when that becomes an issue and it becomes irrelevant.

Messi983

If Alba leaves... who will Messi pal about with in the squad?

Always seems to have 2/3 he is tight with... Roberto? Maybe but didnt appear to be in past.

Di Maria be signed possibly.

No way Alba leaves if Messi returns imo.

Messi and Lewy will be besties.

ajnotkeith

Pressing is only effective against big teams if our attack takes advantage of opportunities through creative, diverse and unpredictable tactics. That has nothing to do with our players, and everything to do with our tactics. We won’t be successful in Europe as long as our pressing results in cross and inshallah tactics. Messi, by default, solves that issue. Free kicks from Messi alone against teams with superior tactics - the teams that have studied our predictability and counter it effectively - will make all the difference in the world.

Those extra goals out of nowhere, that is what we are missing. I mean, Messi shooting from outside the box and scoring, when was the last time our team did that? :lol:
Good point but that is also a result of our conservative style in possession.

We never shoot from outside the box or take big risks with the ball much because Xavis philosophy on both offense and defense is predicated on not losing it and keeping it away from the opponent as much as possible.

Can take more risks and score more goals but it will also result in a worse defense.

Messi would improve the team but the question is if this can be spent better on other players.

Andresito

Staff member
Pepe Costa definitely getting some job as a water carrier.

And maybe Wahin Makinaciones as the locker room DJ.

But yeah no clear pal in the squad. Lewy is already tight with Roberto, Frenkie and their girls. Maybe Leo and Antonela will be invited to pay the bill.

ajnotkeith

Loyalty doesn't really exist in football mate. Footballers and clubs 99% of the time both do what is in their best interests.

Nobody runs a successful club based on 'loyalty', the most successful football administrators are ruthless. You think if we flopped this season these players would be 'loyal' to us and reject huge offers from elsewhere? Hell no lol. The game is a business.

delancey

Good point but that is also a result of our conservative style in possession.

We never shoot from outside the box or take big risks with the ball much because Xavis philosophy on both offense and defense is predicated on not losing it and keeping it away from the opponent as much as possible.

Can take more risks and score more goals but it will also result in a worse defense.

Messi would improve the team but the question is if this can be spent better on other players.
We create a V formation outside of the opponent’s box, similar to City, however, the attack always results in the ball being passed to one of our wingers or wing backs, who will then attempt to dribble past 2-3 defenders, and pass it in front of goal. Always. This works against the Espanyols of this world, but as soon as the opposition is intelligent, our predictability becomes our worst enemy. We are also relatively slow, in that we seldom seize on opportunities to counter from the center of the pitch. Sometimes, yes, but our players have been instructed to stay on the wings. Almost always. Players like Fati thrive inside the box; and having a world class playmaker who will feed them balls closer to goal will make a big difference in my opinion.

Tactics should complement the profile of each individual player and that is something we haven’t seen under Xavi. Maybe as he evolves as a manager, we will notice a change here?

Which playmaker would you get on a free if not Messi? I mean, Messi won’t be free, if we include his high wages in the total cost, which is a consideration, but there’s no transfer fee involved.

Messi983

Tbh with Busi gone I wouldn't mind Messi's return as much anymore. IF rest of the team has to run for one guy then better someone who can still make difference offensively than doing it for Imhotep whose main job is to defend which he can't do.

Could also use the system that was implemented to hide Busi's weaknesses to now get the best out of current Messi.

Andresito

Staff member
Tbh with Busi gone I wouldn't mind Messi's return as much anymore. IF rest of the team has to run for one guy then better someone who can still make difference offensively than doing it for Imhotep whose main job is to defend which he can't do.

Could also use the system that was implemented to hide Busi's weaknesses to now get the best out of current Messi.
Frenkie got good experience of baby sitting.

ajnotkeith

We create a V formation outside of the opponent’s box, similar to City, however, the attack always results in the ball being passed to one of our wingers or wing backs, who will then attempt to dribble past 2-3 defenders, and pass it in front of goal. Always. This works against the Espanyols of this world, but as soon as the opposition is intelligent, our predictability becomes our worst enemy. We are also relatively slow, in that we seldom seize on opportunities to counter from the center of the pitch. Sometimes, yes, but our players have been instructed to stay on the wings. Almost always. Players like Fati thrive inside the box; and having a world class playmaker who will feed them balls closer to goal will make a big difference in my opinion.

Tactics should complement the profile of each individual player and that is something we haven’t seen under Xavi. Maybe as he evolves as a manager, we will notice a change here?

Which playmaker would you get on a free if not Messi? I mean, Messi won’t be free, if we include his high wages in the total cost, which is a consideration, but there’s no transfer fee involved.
You have a good eye for football. Definitely keep making analytical posts. A lot of great points here. I actually agree with pretty much everything you wrote and wrote about it multiple times myself over the last year.

I guess I think that we already have the capability for creativity at home without having to add defensive liabilities to the team. Guys like Pedri and De Jong can absolutely be star playmakers and provide creativity with the right freedom, but, if not, I would try to go for younger and more modern players, maybe like a Leao, who would be more expensive, but that transfer could be worth its weight in gold.
A lot of players can add creative impetus and flair.

Another concern is the baggage Messi could add... people don't want to admit it but he did affect the team environment and dynamics negatively and limited the amount of control the manager had over the team significantly.

soul24rage

You have a good eye for football. Definitely keep making analytical posts. A lot of great points here. I actually agree with pretty much everything you wrote and wrote about it multiple times myself over the last year.

I guess I think that we already have the capability for creativity at home without having to add defensive liabilities to the team. Guys like Pedri and De Jong can absolutely be star playmakers and provide creativity with the right freedom, but, if not, I would try to go for younger and more modern players, maybe like a Leao, who would be more expensive, but that transfer could be worth its weight in gold.
A lot of players can add creative impetus and flair.

Another concern is the baggage Messi could add... people don't want to admit it but he did affect the team environment and dynamics negatively and limited the amount of control the manager had over the team significantly.
Don't see Messi doing this under Xavi imo

Home of Barca Fans