Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

You're welcome
[tw]1602763134779142145[/tw]

Manu Ginobili
No se puede creer lo que hizo este pibe. No se puede creer! Incre?ble! Qu? genialidad!��������

Translated:
Can't believe what this kid did. It can not be believed! Incredible! What genius! ��������

I believe he reacts to Leo's assist for the third goal.

Yes of course. Look at time it was posted Sherlock.

Birdy

Don't think there's anyone who moves goalposts as much as this lad. Now he want to remove penalties from his dear xG he loves to use so much just because it doesn't suit his narrative. I feel bad for you.

Hopefully you'll find joy in Spain passing the ball around for 120 minutes in the next EUROs in 2024 before they inevitably get booted out on penalties again because they're unable to create any chances.

Had you even paid attention to the things I post, you would have noticed I always post the non-pen xG
and all serious analyst disregard the xG gained by pens because it's not created but awarded

but no,
it's all about easy cheesy slogans and mottos from you.
I haven't ever seen a single post of some serious argument or analysis.

Next time you might also learn how to be respectful in conversing, and not a patronizing ass

Rory

Had you even paid attention to the things I post, you would have noticed I always post the non-pen xG
and all serious analyst disregard the xG gained by pens because it's not created but awarded

but no,
it's all about easy cheesy slogans and mottos from you.
I haven't ever seen a single post of some serious argument or analysis.

Next time you might also learn how to be respectful in conversing, and not a patronizing ass

Do you have a table/chart/graph of non penalty xG comparing all teams in the tournament?

JamDav1982

There is no reason to count out penalties.

They are part of game and caused by errors of opponents in area.

Birdy still doesnt understand xG and what is shows.

He thinks teams that miss lots of chances should be applauded for being 'unlucky'.

Spain 1.24?

Thought they were one of best two sides at WC? At least in world of Birdy they were.

Rory

Non-penalty xG per 90 minutes:

Germany 3.09
Brazil 2.09
France 1.90
Belgium 1.57
England 1.42
Switzerland 1.41
Argentina 1.40
Spain 1.24
Portugal 1.24

Data by Opta

Germany out at group stage, would think that would get lower as they got further, they also found themselves chasing games on several occasions, altering their need for attacking tactics and bumping up xG. Spain even had that same scenario against Japan and Morocco and are still lower than Argentina. If Argentina weren't fouled for a penalty they probably would have had a shot, slightly bumping up their xG.

Doesn't look like there's much in it. Maybe France and Brazil yeah but I think everyone would agree both of those are favourites prior to the world cup starting anyway.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Spain still below Argentina :mou:

Portugal too, and barely any difference between Argentina and England. So two teams that apparently deserved to be in the semis instead of Argentina and played much better, entertaining football are behind.

Oops. Time to move goalposts yet again.

El Gato

Villarato!
Going by average or cumulative chance creation alone you'd have likes of Switzerland over likes of Netherlands and in reality those that really underperform on those terms, like Germany, often ought to be criticized for it than sympathised with.

Morocco a tough team to break down here too and Birdy been on forum sounding off how they'll get romped in pens, because they're opposite Spain and Japan just went out on pens some time prior.

This is why you ought not to spend too much time in a spreadsheet and read body language TBH

Last edited:

fergus90

Problem with Germany is they have great players who can create many chances a game but have a horrific defence.

Spain keep possession better than any team in the world but are useless at creating anything clear cut.

Football isn't just about scoring goals, it's about keeping them out too. Of course, attacking football is always desirable but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

There are nuances in football that cannot be completely represented in data alone.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Problem with Germany is they have great players who can create many chances a game but have a horrific defence.

Spain keep possession better than any team in the world but are useless at creating anything clear cut.

Football isn't just about scoring goals, it's about keeping them out too. Of course, attacking football is always desirable but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

There are nuances in football that cannot be completely represented in data alone.

It is about taking chances also.

If Germany create a lot and cant finish them... that is them not being good enough...but Birdy thinks it makes them one of best and 'unlucky'.

Windhook

I don't know how to call this thing that's been going since the match ended last night. Messiphobia?

Whatever theory you pull out of your ass, Argentina were the better team last night. Can't convince me the penalty destroyed the spirit of the fearless Croatian footballers for comeback.

I don't think you realize those boys played 240+ intense minutes in the last week or so against Japan and Brazil. Messi admitted after the game the whole Argentina team were very tired post Netherlands game.

El Gato

Villarato!
Can't convince me the penalty destroyed the spirit of the fearless Croatian footballers for comeback.

Croatians haven't done a comeback (not in 90 mins or ET anyway), especially against a side equal or better than them, in ages. Think last result like that was Nations League vs France at home where managed a penalty, and we all know France arent exactly always.. present.

It's no accident they played for a draw vs Brazil and even to an extent vs Japan - they banked on fortitude and resilience in penalties. Modric said as much alluding to RM mentality. Which does not incidentally imply they'd do comebacks like Real, because simply they don't have that much attacking quality. This year only likes of Canada or Austria were within reach for multi-goal showings.

If Modric openly speaks about penalty disrupting their plans for match, it's probably because they were counting on not conceding and kind of fell apart once did.

In a funny way I'd expect more fight or adjustment to being outclassed out of Morocco if same thing happens tonight. Here more of a matter whether France blunder and/or capitalise on them opening up if the French do go 1-0 up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans