Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLeo10

Messi's biggest mistake was letting greed take over

He should have done a Totti and lowered his wages to retire at Barca

Totti was a world class player but never a GOAT tier.

GOAT tier players become GOAT tier with an alpha mentality. You aren't going to convince them they're run of the mill and have them accept run of the mill contracts/statuses.

Messigician

Totti was a world class player but never a GOAT tier.

GOAT tier players become GOAT tier with an alpha mentality. You aren't going to convince them they're run of the mill and have them accept run of the mill contracts/statuses.

You can do that without 555m contracts lol

Like when Ronaldo wanted a pay rise and Papa Perez kicked his ass out and pocketed 100m

JamDav1982

Barca were shit scared of Messi and paid him too much.

He played into that and knew all the games how to apply pressure and what it would mean for them to lose him.

I would bet anything he would be on same huge contract or similar no matter who was in boardroom. No one could have been seen to lose Messi.

Laporta with Messi at 34 was trying to pay him 50m a season when wouldn not even possibly be at club...

Temptation

Talking about Alpha mentality for GOAT tier players I totally agree.

But then when your team is in a tough situation in a big CL knockout-putting your head down, crying and not showing an ounce of leadership isn't what I would associate with an alpha male superstar.....

Messigician

Then Barto should have acted like Papa Perez.

That's why Papa Perez is a great president.

Ronaldo isn't a youth product though

We only accepted losing Messi because of Covid and the fact he's 34

29 year old Messi?

Nah any president who cashed in on Messi would have been murdered if he set foot in Barcelona

KingLeo10

You can do that without 555m contracts lol

Like when Ronaldo wanted a pay rise and Papa Perez kicked his ass out and pocketed 100m

You do know that you're agreeing with me, right?

It was up to Barto to tell Messi that even though he's our best player historically, he needs to accept lesser pay or he's out.

Perez had balls (and also, Messi is a bigger Barca legend than CR7 is a RM legend. Messi at Barca is like Di Stefano at RM, in terms of historical importance to the club. In a little of Barto's defense, this made his job tougher than Perez's).

Messigician

Barca were shit scared of Messi and paid him too much.

He played into that and knew all the games how to apply pressure and what it would mean for them to lose him.

I would bet anything he would be on same huge contract or similar no matter who was in boardroom. No one could have been seen to lose Messi.

Laporta with Messi at 34 was trying to pay him 50m a season when wouldn not even possibly be at club...

This and it's the biggest thing I'll hold against Messi

Messigician

It was up to Barto to tell Messi that even though he's our best player historically, he needs to accept lesser pay or he's out.

Perez had balls (and also, Messi is a bigger Barca legend than CR7 is a RM legend. Messi at Barca is like Di Stefano at RM, in terms of historical importance to the club. In a little of Barto's defense, this made his job tougher than Perez's).

Nah no one could do anything
Messi was offered a 5 year deal by Laporta at age 34

KingLeo10

Talking about Alpha mentality for GOAT tier players I totally agree.

But then when your team is in a tough situation in a big CL knockout-putting your head down, crying and not showing an ounce of leadership isn't what I would associate with an alpha male superstar.....

A nobody on a football forum whose notion of alpha mentality stems from some weightlifting forums is going to tell me that...

a man who reached the absolute apex of the most widely played sport in the world doesn't have a killer/alpha mentality. Leadership is different to alpha mentality, by the way. They often overlap, but not completely. Messi's a bad leader of men, but he has 1000% confidence in himself (way more than he lets on in interviews).

soul24rage

At the end of the day, Laporta didn't pull the trigger and let him go.

Easy decision for Laporta would have been to agree the CVC deal and sign Messi.

JamDav1982

Dont think any president would have done that to Messi.

They knew moment lost him they would be out.

Look at what Laporta was trying to pay him last summer.

JamDav1982

At the end, Laporta didn't pull the trigger and let him go.

Easy decision for Laporta would have been to agree the CVC deal and sign Messi.

It was a financial decision based on not mortgaging future of club on CVC.

If sporting in normal circumstances Messi would still be at club on huge money.

Messigician

I sympathise with Bartomeu alot

It takes a special type of Greed to ask for a 555m and still demand a clause to be able to leave for FREE at the end of every season so Barto can't cash in on him if he tried

soul24rage

It was a financial decision based on not mortgaging future of club on CVC.

If sporting in normal circumstances Messi would still be at club on huge money.

Exactly.

If Barto were the president in summer 2021, I would believe that he would have signed that CVC deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans