Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
It's partly his wife being insanely rich and it's partly him being psychotic about winning. Messi loves winning as much as anybody but Brady/Jordan are pathological about it.

For sure, but his wife being insanely rich makes that decision to forego some of the money so much easier, and it's not like Brady is taking pennies even then. Just a few millions less while still being paid like a top QB.

kattanib

Messi says he was sad leaving Barca and as soon as he arrived to PSG he became happy .. ya money does that to people

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Messi says he was sad leaving Barca and as soon as he arrived to PSG he became happy .. ya money does that to people
He also said he's feeling all the emotions right now (sadness for leaving and excitement for a new chapter) and is processing them little by little.

I don't know what he is expected to say during a presentation for a new club anyway. I found his admitting to having mixed feelings and mentioning how hard his exit was twice in the first 10 minutes of the press conference already good of a tribute to Barca.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

What else was he supposed to say in Paris though? Crying in front of their fans and say, I am really sad to have come here, I had no other choice?

Come on.

Tackle

Wouldn't rule it out for him to return after 2 years once emotions have cooled down as I don't see him moving his family to the US. Even though it seems unlikely at the moment. A lot can happen until then, good or bad. I think his future also depends a lot on how Argentina will fare in the WC and how at home he will feel in Paris.

What is the incentive for us to bring back a 36 year old Messi on massive wages? We are moving in a different direction and starting a new project. Understand the emotional attachment to Leo, but it does not make sense from any other perspective. We should give him a proper farewell in a testimonial match when the Camp Nou is allowed to be completely filled again, but that is about it.

fergus90

Outside of the football club, he's bound to miss the place he's lived and where he's grown up since the year 2000, plus it's the birthplace of kids, it's normal as he's human like the rest of us.

On a sporting level, how long will his sadness last? Probably not long I'd imagine, as I can't see them losing many games domestically. Or being involved in some European embarrassments which had become a recurring theme in recent years.

Mitchell1978

And last I checked CR7 isn't even near what Messi got.

Had to hear for the last year how much Messi brought in revenue so people could people justify that moronic contract he got. Then it was "Messi is taking a paycut why are you complaining" , while his moronic wages just got deferred. The last one is Messi couldn't take a further "paycut" because of some magical Spanish law.

And people are telling me Messi hasn't a propaganda behind him.

Edit : had to to check the contract leak to check the numbers. Apparently it's 550M instead of 400M , I guess Messi brings in 450M revenue now.

Over 4 years? Absolutely he did.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
What is the incentive for us to bring back a 36 year old Messi on massive wages? We are moving in a different direction and starting a new project. Understand the emotional attachment to Leo, but it does not make sense from any other perspective. We should give him a proper farewell in a testimonial match when the Camp Nou is allowed to be completely filled again, but that is about it.
The subject was more about Messi's openness or wish to do it, not whether that would actually be a reasonable goal for the club - probably wouldn't be, except for sentimental reasons, nor would Laporta be seeking it. Messi's side, no clue.

So you go and negotiate a wage increase at your job. You say you want a million dollar increase. The management says: ok. Are you to blame for the bad negotiators your company employs?

El Gato

Villarato!
Source ?

Best thing I can find is that CR7 is on 31M net at Juve with no bonus according to forbes. And I doubt Juve had to money to give him a 115M signing bonus and a 77M loyalty bonus.

Maybe [MENTION=5226]El Gato[/MENTION] or [MENTION=18429]Morten[/MENTION] might know more how much CR7 might have been earning at Real but again , I doubt it anywhere close to what Messi earned.

On salary reportedly he never was. He wanted his pay doubled out of respect, Perez didn't want to commit with him being 33, and he got the money at Juve.
If you believe reports that is.

Birdy

And last I checked CR7 isn't even near what Messi got.

Had to hear for the last year how much Messi brought in revenue so people could people justify that moronic contract he got. Then it was "Messi is taking a paycut why are you complaining" , while his moronic wages just got deferred. The last one is Messi couldn't take a further "paycut" because of some magical Spanish law.

And people are telling me Messi hasn't a propaganda behind him.

Edit : had to to check the contract leak to check the numbers. Apparently it's 550M instead of 400M , I guess Messi brings in 450M revenue now.

It's not any propaganda machines (besides Messi does not have such power. Look who is his agent, his father...)

but rather the naivety of fans and fanboys around (I am not referring to this forum only, but also journos who shape public opinion) who live by idolizing:
Messi is the greatest player of old time (likely correct), so it means that
Messi is also a wonderful human being,
with no personality flaws,
with all the virtues compressed into him,
who would never take any morally objectionable action

Hence, he can't be greedy
he can't be a tax evader.
No, that's only the maleficence of people who hate him (why?)

:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans