Lionel "The Greatest of All Time" Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxx

I don't think they can recover from this. Argentina had their chance in 2014 when they had an excellent team and Messi was superb. However, Higuain couldn't score from couple of chances and than Gotze scored that late goal. Unfortunately, this team is far from that one. They have horrible defense, unorganized midfield and very old and slow attack. If they win against Mexico and Poland it will be a miracle.

Huh? They were 36 games unbeaten until today. They have a better squad than 2014. But obviously, they have a few players out with injuries and a few players not 100% fit.

On another day, they would have won this game comfortably. Martinez had a goal ruled offside because his shoulder was offside by an inch. Messi had a goal ruled offside because he was like half a foot offside. And Martinez also had another one ruled offside due to being a foot offside. As I said, on another day, Saudi get that line wrong, and if Messi and Martinez time those runs better, they score 2 or 3 goals from that. Their goalkeeper also made a few good saves. They had a few knocked off the line. Also, on another day, those 2 goals don't go in; one went right through Romero's legs, and the other one.... took a deflection, which Martinez would normally save.

Not saying Saudi didn't work hard.... but I feel on another day, they get hammered. Things went for them today.

I honestly expect Argentina will beat Poland and Mexico quite comfortably.

xxxxxx

One more thing, in the 2014 World Cup, they weren't great in the group stages. Poor in all those games but somehow sneaked a win. Just about beat Bosnia, had to score a last-minute winner against Iran, and struggled against a poor Nigeria squad. They also struggled against Switzerland, Belgium and Holland, but they edged through.

My point is, they weren't great in the 2014 World Cup.... but Messi had to carry that average Argentina squad to the finals.

This Argentina squad is better, and they have a better manager. But they just didn't have the luck today, and Saudi played the highline really well at times, and they also defended well putting in blocks and whatnot. Not sure that Di Maria or Messi is 100% fit either.

Blackened

Huh? They were 36 games unbeaten until today. They have a better squad than 2014. But obviously, they have a few players out with injuries and a few players not 100% fit.

Just how on Earth do they have better inviduals? In 2014 they had prime Messi, Di Maria, Higuain, Aguero, Lavezzi, Mascherano, Sergio Romero, Zabaleta and a few others. All of these players would bench the current squad. You might argue that this 2022 side is better managed or plays more physical, team-oriented football but player quality-wise... 2014 was way way better.

xxxxxx

Just how on Earth do they have better inviduals? In 2014 they had prime Messi, Di Maria, Higuain, Aguero, Lavezzi, Mascherano, Sergio Romero, Zabaleta and a few others. All of these players would bench the current squad. You might argue that this 2022 side is better managed or plays more physical, team-oriented football but player quality-wise... 2014 was way way better.

Most of the players you just named were in the attack.... lol. Yeah, maybe their attack was better back then. But they still have a good attack now. But overall, their team is better now. There is a reason why they've won the Copa America and not lost to Brazil in the last 3 games they've met. They also outplayed Italy in the summer, who are the current Euro champions. Not to mention, they have a better manager.

I feel the World Cup has probably come at the wrong time for them. Heck, the World Cup shouldn't be played in November in any case. Lo Celso is out, Romero is not 100% fit, Di Maria has only just come back from injury, and I'm pretty certain that Messi is playing through an injury.

As I said, on another day, they would have hammered Saudi and we're not questioning Argentina's team.

Raketa10

On another day, they would have won this game comfortably. Martinez had a goal ruled offside because his shoulder was offside by an inch. Messi had a goal ruled offside because he was like half a foot offside. And Martinez also had another one ruled offside due to being a foot offside. As I said, on another day, Saudi get that line wrong, and if Messi and Martinez time those runs better, they score 2 or 3 goals from that. Their goalkeeper also made a few good saves. They had a few knocked off the line. Also, on another day, those 2 goals don't go in; one went right through Romero's legs, and the other one.... took a deflection, which Martinez would normally save.

Not saying Saudi didn't work hard.... but I feel on another day, they get hammered. Things went for them today.

I honestly expect Argentina will beat Poland and Mexico quite comfortably.

Better squad than 2014? No way man, it's not even close.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Argentina played like they had won the game already completely underestimating Saudi Arabia. Their NT manager is very accomplished. You play stupid you get burned.

Still think they will go through by winning next two games as they will take it seriously and put in the effort while Scaloni will prob return to a 3-man midfield.

xxxxxx

Did anyone watch Argentina before this game?

A lot of fickle people here and all over the other forums. This Argentina team is better than 2014. Argentina wasn't even good in that World Cup, but Messi had to carry them for most of that tournament. You don't go 36 games unbeaten.... beating Brazil twice and beating Italy if your team is much worse than the one in 2014.

I just feel that Argentina on another day would have destroyed that highline with better-timed runs.... and they scored 3 or 4 this game. On another day, that shot doesn't go through Romero's legs, and that last goal doesn't deflect near the top corner, which Martinez would normally save.

Yeah, Argentina should be doing better and beating Saudi, but Saudi had everything going for them today. Another day, they don't get that luck.

If Argentina comfortably beat Mexico and Poland, you best make sure that they'll go back into hiding.

Rory

Argentina played like they had won the game already completely underestimating Saudi Arabia. Their NT manager is very accomplished. You play stupid you get burned.

Still think they will go through by winning next two games as they will take it seriously and put in the effort while Scaloni will prob return to a 3-man midfield.

Depends how stubborn Scaloni is. Thought it was obvious after the first 30 that they needed an extra man in midfield to receive the ball from defence to have more midfield stability, quicker passing and moving. Papu Gomez shouldn't play another game. Only role was to receive the ball and stick his arse on the opponent hoping to get fouled.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Depends how stubborn Scaloni is. Thought it was obvious after the first 30 that they needed an extra man in midfield to receive the ball from defence to have more midfield stability, quicker passing and moving. Papu Gomez shouldn't play another game. Only role was to receive the ball and stick his arse on the opponent hoping to get fouled.

Mac Allister or Enzo Perez will probably replace him. De Paul and Paredes were overrun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans