Luis Enrique

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Messi and Neymar where here. And so was Alexis and Cesc. Up until a week ago class above Suárez and Rakitic, remember?
To strip down all improvements since Tata to only Suárez (who's been playing his worst football since Ajax days) is bewildering.

F

Flavia

Don Aspas, the game at the Calderón wasn't the norm. It was an odd game. I don't think we'll see that style of play again anytime soon. I also think it was impossible to play like the 3-1 in that dreadful pitch.

L

linetty

Luis Enrique: "Brazilians - like Neymar, Alves, Rafinha - see football as a show, they want to enjoy playing. And they shouldn't change."

Douglas is not amused.

Luis Enrique: "Neymar criticized? This is a strange country. A nutmeg is seen as more provocative than four or five dirty tackles."

Last edited:

serghei

There needs to be a difference between how you play at home and how you play in away games. This is very important. Against Atletico, we stayed back and scored 2 goals on the back of Atletico's defenders not being there to defend in time. What's wrong with that? If the other team wants to make the game a 50-50 affair on their own turf, we should engage in that, because that style of play means we will score goals. We don't need to control the tempo of the game to win.

Against Inter in 2010 we went ahead 1-0 in Italy and we took 3 goals on the counter. :lol: How is that even possible? Against Chelsea we dominated the game and lost 1-0 in England. If anything, history shows the best weapon in the away games is to don't get caught on the break. If people want change, this is change. We may suffer a bit in the process, but we can come out on top in the end.

At home we can push for the win by pressing the opponent in their own half. The 1-0 win against Atletico is a very good example. In the return leg, we don't go crazy with the backline at the center of the field. We hit them on the counter if they try to press us with their fullbacks. That's the lesson Atletico learnt, you don't instruct Siqueira and Juanfran to go crazy in offense and forget they need to guard a certain Messi or a certain Neymar. Our offensive trio should be an inssurance that teams won't come at us like Atletico did. This year we made them pay, while last year we seemed to cave under their pressure. Lucho wins points from me after this 3-2.

The only problem Lucho needs to fix is that he needs to take care our defence won't fuck up under pressure. Because we need to be able to absorb some pressure from the opponent if we are to defend in just 7 men. And there are teams with much more firepower than Atletico, I think we all aknowledge that. Anyway, Simeone messed up the tactic, thinking he can surprise Lucho by playing the same way he played in the return leg in CL. We managed to find Neymar, Messi and Suarez on the break and they finnished Atletico off.

Last edited:

DinhoR10

There needs to be a difference between how you play at home and how you play in away games. This is very important. Against Atletico, we stayed back and scored 2 goals on the back of Atletico's defenders not being there to defend in time. What's wrong with that? If the other team wants to make the game a 50-50 affair on their own turf, we should engage in that, because that style of play means we will score goals. We don't need to control the tempo of the game to win.

Against Inter in 2010 we went ahead 1-0 in Italy and we took 3 goals on the counter. :lol: How is that even possible? Against Chelsea we dominated the game and lost 1-0 in England. If anything, history shows the best weapon in the away games is to don't get caught on the break. If people want change, this is change. We may suffer a bit in the process, but we can come out on top in the end.

At home we can push for the win by pressing the opponent in their own half. The 1-0 win against Atletico is a very good example. In the return leg, we don't go crazy with the backline at the center of the field. We hit them on the counter if they try to press us with their fullbacks. That's the lesson Atletico learnt, you don't instruct Siqueira and Juanfran to go crazy in offense and forget they need to guard a certain Messi or a certain Neymar. Our offensive trio should be an inssurance that teams won't come at us like Atletico did. This year we made them pay, while last year we seemed to cave under their pressure. Lucho wins points from me after this 3-2.

The only problem Lucho needs to fix is that he needs to take care our defence won't fuck up under pressure. Because we need to be able to absorb some pressure from the opponent if we are to defend in just 7 men. And there are teams with much more firepower than Atletico, I think we all aknowledge that. Anyway, Simeone messed up the tactic, thinking he can surprise Lucho by playing the same way he played in the return leg in CL. We managed to find Neymar, Messi and Suarez on the break and they finnished Atletico off.

The point you make about the fullbacks is important because if RM thinks they can have Marcelo doing whatever he pleases with Messi on the wing we'll hit them with a manita again, and even if he does try to defend he kinda sucks at it anyway and ronaldo isnt of much help.

serghei

The point you make about the fullbacks is important because if RM thinks they can have Marcelo doing whatever he pleases with Messi on the wing we'll hit them with a manita again, and even if he does try to defend he kinda sucks at it anyway and ronaldo isnt of much help.

Yea, but on the other hand, Marcelo - Ronaldo - James will make a 3 vs 2 in the wing. You do remember that Ronaldo - Marcelo - Di Maria made a mess on our right flank in last year's classico on the Bernabeu? That's the risk I'm talking about. What insurances do we have that Madrid or Bayern won't score more on the back of their pressure than we will on the counter?

DinhoR10

Yea, but on the other hand, Marcelo - Ronaldo - James will make a 3 vs 2 in the wing. You do remember that Ronaldo - Marcelo - Di Maria made a mess on our right flank in last year's classico on the Bernabeu? That's the risk I'm talking about. What insurances do we have that Madrid or Bayern won't score more on the back of their pressure than we will on the counter?

Depends on how well we play, if we play like the first Atletico game and completely dominate the game against the toughest pressing team in the world then we should be able to stifle counters but other than that its a crap shoot of who scores more tbh.

BBZ8800

+1

In 2005, when we faced Chelsea for the first time, we won 2:1 at Camp Nou, so, the smartest move would be to defend and wait for counters.
But what have we done? We went out full retarded and played classic-Barca-retarded way with Possession game and 8 players in the opponent's half.

20 minutes later, we were losing 3:0 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and later we were knocked out 4:2 and 5:4 on aggregate.
Good old, stupid too attacking Barca, as always:

Luckily, Rijkaard "learned" the lesson and wasn't as sentimental as some of our fans here, and in the next Season, when we again faced Chelsea in 1/4 of CL, he picked THIS lineup for the first match at Stamford Bridge:
-- Valdes-V Bronckhorst, Puyol, Marquez, Oleguer
-- midfield: Edmilson, Motta, Deco
-- attack: Ronaldinho, Etoo, Messi

-- so, instead of playing DR Belletti who was too attacking, he played CB Oleguer as a DR
-- also, instead of regular Xavi-Deco-Iniesta midfield, he played with two extremely strong DMCs, Edmilson (186 cm tall) and Motta (187 cms), and a short guy, Amc Deco (something like Iniesta today)

-- so, a much more defensive minded formation
-- 6 players never went into their half (Bronckhorst, Puyol, Marquez, Oleguer, Edmilson, Motta)
-- also, we gave them Possession. Rijkaard told later that he intentionally gave them Possession, to break their bus (and to "call" them to try to to attack us, instead of them waiting for us to attack them).
Plus because Chelsea's possession game against our bus is much less dangerous than Chelsea's counterattacks against OUR possession game

-- ok, they earned a red card on Messi, but yes, we won 1:2 at Stamford bridge this time, played 1:1 at Camp Nou (again, we played extremely defensive and cautious at home), and went through with 3:2 on aggregate. We later won the Champions league that Season.

So, yes, we played ugly and defensive/on counterattacks in some matches
-- against dirty opponents like Chelsea

But we didn't play that way against Getafe and Levante.
Whenever possible, we played our usual Possession+some counterattacks game (like Lucho is playing now).
But, when needed, even Rijkaard figured out that a more cautios approach and long balls+counterattacks is a much smarter way on away games than a naive possession football.

Also, yes, we played a lot of long balls and direct football in that 2006 match.
We played the ball as fast as we could to Ronaldinho or Messi.

While I agree that we should try to control the match slightly better than Atletico, I will never agree with guys that the current approach is bad and that we should return to something from Pep's era.
Pep style was awesome in 2008 and 2010.
It should stay there. This is 2015.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

+1

In 2005, when we faced Chelsea for the first time, we won 2:1 at Camp Nou, so, the smartest move would be to defend and wait for counters.
But what have we done? We went out full retarded and played classic-Barca-retarded way with Possession game and 8 players in the opponent's half.

20 minutes later, we were losing 3:0 against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and later we were knocked out 4:2 and 5:4 on aggregate.
Good old, stupid too attacking Barca, as always:

Luckily, Rijkaard "learned" the lesson and wasn't as sentimental as some of our fans here, and in the next Season, when we again faced Chelsea in 1/4 of CL, he picked THIS lineup for the first match at Stamford Bridge:
-- Valdes-V Bronckhorst, Puyol, Marquez, Oleguer
-- midfield: Edmilson, Motta, Deco
-- attack: Ronaldinho, Etoo, Messi

-- so, instead of playing DR Belletti who was too attacking, he played CB Oleguer as a DR
-- also, instead of regular Xavi-Deco-Iniesta midfield, he played with two extremely strong DMCs, Edmilson (186 cm tall) and Motta (187 cms), and a short guy, Amc Deco (something like Iniesta today)

-- so, a much more defensive minded formation
-- 6 players never went into their half (Bronckhorst, Puyol, Marquez, Oleguer, Edmilson, Motta)
-- also, we gave them Possession. Rijkaard told later that he intentionally gave them Possession, to break their bus (and to "call" them to try to to attack us, instead of them waiting for us to attack them).
Plus because Chelsea's possession game against our bus is much less dangerous than Chelsea's counterattacks against OUR possession game

-- ok, they earned a red card on Messi, but yes, we won 1:2 at Stamford bridge this time, played 1:1 at Camp Nou (again, we played extremely defensive and cautious at home), and went through with 3:2 on aggregate. We later won the Champions league that Season.

So, yes, we played ugly and defensive/on counterattacks in some matches
-- against dirty opponents like Chelsea

But we didn't play that way against Getafe and Levante.
Whenever possible, we played our usual Possession+some counterattacks game (like Lucho is playing now).
But, when needed, even Rijkaard figured out that a more cautios approach and long balls+counterattacks is a much smarter way on away games than a naive possession football.

Also, yes, we played a lot of long balls and direct football in that 2006 match.
We played the ball as fast as we could to Ronaldinho or Messi.

While I agree that we should try to control the match slightly better than Atletico, I will never agree with guys that the current approach is bad and that we should return to something from Pep's era.
Pep style was awesome in 2008 and 2010.
It should stay there. This is 2015.

I agree to your points but few corrections there
Oleguer was our starting RB most of the season ,Xavi was injured b4 the end of 2005 till the end of the season,he wasn't available anyway,our starting midfield in that season was basically Edmilson ,MVB & Deco ,Deco is 1.74 which isn't actually that short for a midfield and he was very strong player .Rijkaard usually managed to play attacking minded football but with cautious

BBZ8800

I agree to your points but few corrections there
Oleguer was our starting RB most of the season ,Xavi was injured b4 the end of 2005 till the end of the season,he wasn't available anyway,our starting midfield in that season was basically Edmilson ,MVB & Deco ,Deco is 1.74 which isn't actually that short for a midfield and he was very strong player .Rijkaard usually managed to play attacking minded football but with cautious

I remember that.
Xavi was injured.

But still, we had: Deco, Iniesta, Edmilson, Motta, Van Bommel in midfield.
Van Bommel was playing a lot even when Xavi was healthy.

Rijkaard asked for players like Edmilson, Van Bommel and Motta, to get some "height and muscles" in our team.
Year before when we lost 4:2, our 4 midfielders were: Xavi, Deco, Iniesta and Gerard Lopez.

So, yes, we had injuries in both Seasons, but it was clearly that Rijkaard shifted to higher+stronger players in the 2nd Season (his 3rd Season in Barca).
Plus, he played more cautiously in that 3rd Season with Oleguer as a RB, plus with 2 strong midfielders (usually Dmc Edmilson and Mc Van Bommel).
More cautious approach against big teams, less Possession and more counterattacks is why we won CL in 2006.
(We played very, very cautious both against Chelsea in 1/4 and against Milan in 1/2)

For example, Van Gaal's Barca was extremely strong but we were very poor in Europe (Barca:Dynamo Kiev 0:4 and 0:3) because we played too attacking and we were conceding easy Goals, often from counterattacks, as always.

Also, I remember when I was a kid and when I watched this match, Milan:Barcelona 4:0:
-- it was one of those classical Barca's matches where we had the possession and tried to score all the time
-- but for some reason, every time when Milan created a counterattack or a dangerous action, they would score

Till 2006', we were always a team that played beautiful and always tried to attack, but we were always slightly unlucky and naive.
We always lacked somewhat more cautious approach in big matches, and slightly more direct counterattacks and less possession.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Messi and Neymar where here. And so was Alexis and Cesc. Up until a week ago class above Suárez and Rakitic, remember?
To strip down all improvements since Tata to only Suárez (who's been playing his worst football since Ajax days) is bewildering.

First, I think you're drawing your own conclusion here, Bojan, to claim I've singled out any team improvements to Suarez alone...Overall, I think the only real positive & the only real threat in this Lucho coached side is the trident of Neymar-Messi-Suarez...There are a number of changes from Tata's side to this one, not the least of which is the increased intensity which you seemed to gloss over

Suarez has only lacked the goals but he's otherwise given the team the threat to destabilize defenses that sit back to focus on Messi...I'm surprised to read you think Suarez has been poor...I in fact think this trident could become the best attacking front 3 we've ever had at the club

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana

Suarez has only lacked the goals but he's otherwise given the team the threat to destabilize defenses that sit back to focus on Messi...I'm surprised to read you think Suarez has been poor...I in fact think this trident could become the best attacking front 3 we've ever had at the club

I agree.

Home of Barca Fans