Luis Enrique

rixxer

I think Ferrer was spot on in his analysis for Revista show- Barca midfielders and especially Messi were too wide during the first half, Messi stayed very near to touchline and was frozen out there as Real pressed intelligently at half of the pitch. As playing Masche helped defensevly, it meant that Barca had to pay dividends for that by failing to bring ball from deep. Lucho actually adressed it during the break- messi moved to centre, dragged two pressers, created room and Barca were able to combine one two threes in the midfield. Yeah, Madrid players had exhausted themselves when the clock showe 60 minutes, but in addition, while Kroos and Madric can be great at pressing at attacking end, they usually do not track back once our attackers and midfielders went pass them by couple of percise passes and long balls. As Madrid CDs were booked early, they simpy could not hack MSN down when they ran at them, thus Neymar was able to thrive (he was excellent during the second half, par, ofc, finishing) and Messi also. Introducing Busi and Xavi at the right moment also helped which is the sign of good manager.
So praise for Lucho for addressing and recognizing the problems at half, but he got initially the tactics wrong (it is more accurate to say that Madrid was very well prepared to standard Barca set up).

DinhoR10

I think Ferrer was spot on in his analysis for Revista show- Barca midfielders and especially Messi were too wide during the first half, Messi stayed very near to touchline and was frozen out there as Real pressed intelligently at half of the pitch. As playing Masche helped defensevly, it meant that Barca had to pay dividends for that by failing to bring ball from deep. Lucho actually adressed it during the break- messi moved to centre, dragged two pressers, created room and Barca were able to combine one two threes in the midfield. Yeah, Madrid players had exhausted themselves when the clock showe 60 minutes, but in addition, while Kroos and Madric can be great at pressing at attacking end, they usually do not track back once our attackers and midfielders went pass them by couple of percise passes and long balls. As Madrid CDs were booked early, they simpy could not hack MSN down when they ran at them, thus Neymar was able to thrive (he was excellent during the second half, par, ofc, finishing) and Messi also. Introducing Busi and Xavi at the right moment also helped which is the sign of good manager.
So praise for Lucho for addressing and recognizing the problems at half, but he got initially the tactics wrong (it is more accurate to say that Madrid was very well prepared to standard Barca set up).

So basically you're saying Lucho is the second coming? :lucho:

i_bleed_blaugrana

I'm not sure that Xavi could do better than Iniesta in his position for 90 mins though.

That's the thing though, Xavi doesn't have to play a full 90. It can go either way, start him and hope that he creates a few chances that we score from and in the 2nd half bring in Rakitic to sure up the MF and give us some steel and defensive cover. OR, you bring him in to kill games off with possession 60-65th minute which is what Lucho has mainly been using him for this season. Either way, he is doing more than Iniesta does and it brings more of a dynamic to our midfield with the variance between him and Rakitic. The only game he should go 90 for is like the CL final or CdR final though, he doesn't have to nor should he go 90 when we have Rafinha or Rakitic who can save his legs once the game is killed. If we managed him like this, we could get another 2-3 years out of him with him not playing International football.

I liked Lucho's move with a double-pivot to break Real's attacks. I think we have a great solution in Busi-Mascherano for quick counters when we're leading. I could see us playing something like that in the future when we need to defend a lead and hit on the break quickly.

1226898_FC_Barcelona.jpg

I think if you want to see a double pivot midfield, a few things. A) the duo should be Rakitic-Busquets so we have some creativity through the center and honestly that role would suit Rakitic better than the babysitting role he has as the RCM and B) I'd want a three back system rather than a 4-2-3-1. My biggest gripe with that shape is that neither Iniesta nor Neymar have the defensive skills or mental tenacity for that kind of role because the outside wingers in the 3 have increased defensive responsibilities in that role or it will get exposed with either of them on the outside.

Observe Fig. 1:

Soccer formations made easy with this11.com

This shape suits our style more and while it looks fancy and really offensive, its actually more defensive and direct than the 4-3-3 we play now. A three back system is fluid and adaptable and especially in a 2nd half situation where Lucho wants to sure up and solidify the midfield, this would be a good variance. No Xavi, Iniesta or Mascherano and that's because particularly Rafinha has the mobility and work rate to track back and cover the right side off the ball and is good enough on the ball to recirculate possession in a crowded midfield and would work in that shuttler role much better than either Iniesta or Xavi. I also prefer Rakitic to Mascherano through the center because, again as previously stated, more creativity and Rakitic has enough heart and legs in him to track back and cover behind Busi if he ever gets caught.

Now observe Fig. 2:

Make your football formation with this11.com

This is how it would look in the defensive phase and as you can see, when everyone tracks back, it plugs a lot of space for teams to move the ball and hurt us. The only space is outside and with Bartra, Mathieu and Pique collapsing into the box, it would take an incredible ball to beat all three of them and the GK. That MF 4 could tighten up and absorb pressure then explode forward on the counter, a la Madrid's 4-4-2 against Bayern. Also, MSN would have a field day on the counter with this setup. Juventus run a system like this and while they exploit and master the defensive attributes of this shape, with our ability on the ball, we could exploit the offensive side of it.

The 4-3-3 with Messi as a RW will work better next year if we get a tempo CM to play next to Rakitic or Iniesta but shifting to a shape like this would cause teams a lot of headaches for teams who want to clog the midfield and press.

DinhoR10

I don't agree, our performances when Messi switched from AM to RW are the reason we're top of la liga, in the CdR final and one of 3 favorites for the cl. Messi in AM with strikers in front of him doesnt work atleast not as a base formation, the problems with tempo yesterday werent that we need another tempo cm, iniesta fills that roll. The problem was that we didnt have a proper ball playing cdm ala busi. One person alone cannot make a midfield, you put Xavi on in the first half in iniesta's position it would not have changed much control wise unless xavi simply refused to pass to anyone but Messi. Everytime iniesta gave the ball to Neymar it simply got given away, and that caused all of RM's danger in the first half. Also Rakitic was pushing too far up, I think that was Lucho's tactic though and it was his playing as a second striker that gave us the opening for the winning goal.

Antimadridista1

I don't agree, our performances when Messi switched from AM to RW are the reason we're top of la liga, in the CdR final and one of 3 favorites for the cl. Messi in AM with strikers in front of him doesnt work atleast not as a base formation, the problems with tempo yesterday werent that we need another tempo cm, iniesta fills that roll. The problem was that we didnt have a proper ball playing cdm ala busi. One person alone cannot make a midfield, you put Xavi on in the first half in iniesta's position it would not have changed much control wise unless xavi simply refused to pass to anyone but Messi. Everytime iniesta gave the ball to Neymar it simply got given away, and that caused all of RM's danger in the first half. Also Rakitic was pushing too far up, I think that was Lucho's tactic though and it was his playing as a second striker that gave us the opening for the winning goal.

The reason is also that we're not as predictable as last season.
Guys, just look at how we won our last "big matches" against Madrid teams :
- Real Madrid : The first goal is a header from Mathieu, coming from a set-piece. Teams under-estimate us in this area because it has never been our strength.
The second goal comes from a long ball above their midfield and defense -> No tiki taka.
- Atletico Madrid at Calderon : Two counter-attacks + a goal coming from set piece (the origin of the goal is Busquets' header).

G

Gasgas

That's the thing though, Xavi doesn't have to play a full 90. It can go either way, start him and hope that he creates a few chances that we score from and in the 2nd half bring in Rakitic to sure up the MF and give us some steel and defensive cover. OR, you bring him in to kill games off with possession 60-65th minute which is what Lucho has mainly been using him for this season. Either way, he is doing more than Iniesta does and it brings more of a dynamic to our midfield with the variance between him and Rakitic. The only game he should go 90 for is like the CL final or CdR final though, he doesn't have to nor should he go 90 when we have Rafinha or Rakitic who can save his legs once the game is killed. If we managed him like this, we could get another 2-3 years out of him with him not playing International football.

I think if you want to see a double pivot midfield, a few things. A) the duo should be Rakitic-Busquets so we have some creativity through the center and honestly that role would suit Rakitic better than the babysitting role he has as the RCM and B) I'd want a three back system rather than a 4-2-3-1. My biggest gripe with that shape is that neither Iniesta nor Neymar have the defensive skills or mental tenacity for that kind of role because the outside wingers in the 3 have increased defensive responsibilities in that role or it will get exposed with either of them on the outside.

Observe Fig. 1:

Soccer formations made easy with this11.com

This shape suits our style more and while it looks fancy and really offensive, its actually more defensive and direct than the 4-3-3 we play now. A three back system is fluid and adaptable and especially in a 2nd half situation where Lucho wants to sure up and solidify the midfield, this would be a good variance. No Xavi, Iniesta or Mascherano and that's because particularly Rafinha has the mobility and work rate to track back and cover the right side off the ball and is good enough on the ball to recirculate possession in a crowded midfield and would work in that shuttler role much better than either Iniesta or Xavi. I also prefer Rakitic to Mascherano through the center because, again as previously stated, more creativity and Rakitic has enough heart and legs in him to track back and cover behind Busi if he ever gets caught.

Now observe Fig. 2:

Make your football formation with this11.com

This is how it would look in the defensive phase and as you can see, when everyone tracks back, it plugs a lot of space for teams to move the ball and hurt us. The only space is outside and with Bartra, Mathieu and Pique collapsing into the box, it would take an incredible ball to beat all three of them and the GK. That MF 4 could tighten up and absorb pressure then explode forward on the counter, a la Madrid's 4-4-2 against Bayern. Also, MSN would have a field day on the counter with this setup. Juventus run a system like this and while they exploit and master the defensive attributes of this shape, with our ability on the ball, we could exploit the offensive side of it.

The 4-3-3 with Messi as a RW will work better next year if we get a tempo CM to play next to Rakitic or Iniesta but shifting to a shape like this would cause teams a lot of headaches for teams who want to clog the midfield and press.

:amazed:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Nolito (Celta): "Luis Enrique always does well in the second half of the season. It was already like that at Barcelona B and Celta" [weloba]

Xtroverto

Nolito (Celta): "Luis Enrique always does well in the second half of the season. It was already like that at Barcelona B and Celta" [weloba]

These are league stats only

At Celta his results were:

5 wins 4 draw and 10 losses in the first half
9 wins 3 draws and 7 losses in the second half

At Roma his results were:

9 wins 4 draws and 6 losses in the first half
7 wins 4 draws and 8 losses in the second half

At Barcelona B his results were: (Segunda A)

8 wins 7 draws and 6 losses in the first half
12 wins 4 draws and 6 losses in the second half

At FC Barcelona his results are:

14 wins 2 draws and 3 losses in the first half
8 wins 0 draws and 1 loss in the second half

to improve on the first half he should win at least 7 of the last 10 games and draw 1, very difficult I say

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
These are league stats only

At Celta his results were:

5 wins 4 draw and 10 losses in the first half
9 wins 3 draws and 7 losses in the second half

At Roma his results were:

9 wins 4 draws and 6 losses in the first half
7 wins 4 draws and 8 losses in the second half

At Barcelona B his results were: (Segunda A)

8 wins 7 draws and 6 losses in the first half
12 wins 4 draws and 6 losses in the second half

At FC Barcelona his results are:

14 wins 2 draws and 3 losses in the first half
8 wins 0 draws and 1 loss in the second half

to improve on the first half he should win at least 7 of the last 10 games and draw 1, very difficult I say

It's not about the points but the quality of the game. We are infinitely better than we were in the beginning of the season.

Richard.H

Should have kept that little pest of a player. He'd be a good backup option.

He was really pissed at getting little play time when Guardiola was here. He even said he wouldn't mind moving to RM if given the opportunity (at a time when Mourinho and the whole RM squad used to be absolute jackasses to our players).

Good player but the type of player that gets pissed really fast. When he was at Benfica he gave a really nasty retaliation tackle to an opponent. Got a red and like a 2 match ban.

Last edited:

Xtroverto

It's not about the points but the quality of the game. We are infinitely better than we were in the beginning of the season.

It is all about the points, playing bad and winning is the secret that made Barcelona almost invincible under Guardiola. It doesn't matter how good you play if you don't win, just ask Ancelotti.

We had a trainer who was all about the quality of the game, he fucked up completely and eventually he was sacked, that guy was Louis van Gaal.

Home of Barca Fans