Luis Enrique

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
We are playing differently. We do not have prime Alves, prime Xavi, prime Iniesta. We do not have leader on the pitch as we did in Puyol.
In many ways Lucho has it harder. Constantly having to measure up to pep and the glory days and not having a steady board behind him.

In defense he managed to bring Pique to life (something pep couldn't do) and personally pick us a worthy successor of Valdes in Bravo.

In midfield it's the first time in a decade we are having to deal with life after Xaviesta, our very essence. Lucho managed to make it work with a solid but not world-class player like Rakitic.

In attack he managed (to convince) Messi to play wide (first time in 5 years). And contrary to Cruyff and other people got not 1, but 2 "cracks" to play beautifully alongside Messi.

These are valid points you make, I concur, but the essence of how Barcelona plays is typically centered around their midfield...now it's moved to the forward line & counter attacks which minimizes not just the players that will eventually come through but it will fail to align properly with the philosophy & playing style of the cantera teams...The teams that develop talent for the 1st team...It's basically changing the playing philosophy of the club, IMO

It can be entertaining at times and it can clearly be successful as we've seen of late but the control of matches & emotion it can evoke is almost entirely lacking...We're left with individual moments of brilliance rather than team play

Yet it's true that the team was in great flux with Lucho's arrival and perhaps this is merely a formula to bridge the gap until there are midfielders who can be more box to box in this new era...We'll see

serghei

It's basically changing the playing philosophy of the club, IMO

I don't think so. We still pass a lot and we still dominate possession most of the time, against most of the teams. What's changed is that we take more into consideration how other teams play (especially big teams), which is kind of obligatory these days.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I don't think so. We still pass a lot and we still dominate possession most of the time, against most of the teams. What's changed is that we take more into consideration how other teams play (especially big teams), which is kind of obligatory these days.

Yep, we still average 70% possession (cf whoscored) this season, same as Bayern, and way ahead of the rest of european teams.

F

Flavia

Are you saying that Lucho was able to turn things around due to fan's discontent about his performance? So building the team takes time had nothing to do with that, but bashing Lucho made him a better coach. Maybe we should ask couple of fans to beat the crap out of Lucho in parking lot: that's guaranteed CL cup.
He changed things, as much as he denies it.
Playing the midfielders too wide and leaving Busi too isolated was one thing he changed, for instance.
The players admitted the group dynamic changed after Anoeta, too.
I'm glad to see LE wasn't as stubborn as he seemed to be.

mssarm

He changed things, as much as he denies it.
Playing the midfielders too wide and leaving Busi too isolated was one thing he changed, for instance.
The players admitted the group dynamic changed after Anoeta, too.
I'm glad to see LE wasn't as stubborn as he seemed to be.
Not denying that, but it had nothing to do with fans bashing him. I think he just had epiphany , all of a sudden he realized what needs to be done. I don't think he was screwing around on purpose. he was testing and puting pieces together, because now it looks like he has answers for every situation.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Not denying that, but it had nothing to do with fans bashing him. I think he just had epiphany , all of a sudden he realized what needs to be done. I don't think he was screwing around on purpose. he was testing and puting pieces together, because now it looks like he has answers for every situation.

Yes he did find the answer : play the best 11 you have and stop screwing around.

So for you "epiphany" seems more likely to be the cause of his radical change than (Losing in Anoeta + Messi missing training + Media and fans rage + Zubi's demission + Puyol quiting + Bartomeu calling elections ) having that effect ?

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He was 100% right not start Messi and Neymar at Anoeta after internationals trips and both barely training.

JamDav1982

He was 100% right not start Messi and Neymar at Anoeta after internationals trips and both barely training.

But I think the players didn't like the fact that he granted them the extra day off then used it as the reason for them not playing.

mssarm

But I think the players didn't like the fact that he granted them the extra day off then used it as the reason for them not playing.

Well, technically you can grant a player an extra day, but doesn't mean they will start the next game. Player can get disciplinary actions for not showing up on time: for example you will get pay cut or reduction in bonuses. Lucho gave the permission, so there was no punishment, so he was nice to them. But starting the game without the training is too dangerous, you can expose the player to an injury. Messi being pissed for starting on the bench is nothing new. You can have all logical reasons to put him on the bench and he will be pissed regardless. On the other hand imagine if Messi got injured for several months just because he started the game without proper training

Last edited:

serghei

As proven by the result, right? He lost the game, that means his decision was not good. In this case, it's as simple as that.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If you are shortsighted everything is simple for you.

And who says we'd win with Messi and Ney starting? Sociedad are very tough and beat Madrid at Anoeta and we did lose 2 games playing at home even with Messi and Ney starting. So stop speculating.

War is not won (or list) in one battle. Lucho rotated a lot and it's paying off. As proven by results.

Home of Barca Fans