Luis Enrique

DrPepper

Lol. Reminds me of BBZ's walls of text, only with much weaker arguments. Especially when trying to turn something completely subjective ("most dour football on the planet") into something objective. You don't like him and that's okay. Don't need to belittle someones opinion though.

Everyone has somehow failed at doing something. Ancelotti never won the CL with Chelsea and might not win La Liga with Madrid (maybe winning leagues isn't that easy?). Guardiola might not win Champions League with Bayern, he might even get knocked out today by Porto. Does that make them bad managers? Don't think so.

Obviously Ancelotti is the mastermind of La Decima when all he has done basically is inheriting a Real Madrid team that won the League with 100 points, without any of the conflicts of personalties that occured in Jose's last season. Add to that a 100M in signing of Bale and getting a fortune for a player that lasts 60 minutes per match. Simply compare RM before and after Mourinho and you'll see how much he actually improved the team.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

What you will fail to say:
<snip>
Most of that applies to Pep even more than it does to Mou, given that he had way better team and as much resources as Chelsea. Had to win 4 CL in the row with that team. lolfail
None of that invalidate this:
he's certainly most consistently successful coach of the last 10 years
If you have a better candidate in mind, please, share.

6 Ballons for Messi

but what if he wins 7??
Mourinho has the smuggest face among all smug faced deuches and he's best manager in the world.

Hahaha.
The best manager in the world that managed to win a cl with inter playing the worst antifootball everyone has ever seen and then proceed to win only a liga in 3 years with a monster RM team.
He's so good.
Oh and lets not forget the football his chelsea team displayed against a 10man PSG 3 weeks ago.

Frodo_FCB

Hahaha.
The best manager in the world that managed to win a cl with inter playing the worst antifootball everyone has ever seen and then proceed to win only a liga in 3 years with a monster RM team.
He's so good.
Oh and lets not forget the football his chelsea team displayed against a 10man PSG 3 weeks ago.

This!
He is the media favorite too, because of his "unique" press conferences, that's why he gets all this hype.

DrPepper

"Maybe I am not the best in the world but I do think that no coach is better than me."
- Jose Mourinho

He's spot on.

serghei

I want him to stay if he wins one of CL or La Liga. He himself said that as a Barca manager you must win trophies and was spot on with that one. I don't like him in particular to be fair, but if the team wins with him, he must stay.

StarLord

Most of that applies to Pep even more than it does to Mou, given that he had way better team and as much resources as Chelsea. Had to win 4 CL in the row with that team. lolfail
None of that invalidate this:

If you have a better candidate in mind, please, share.

You completely fail to see my point.

Nowhere have I said that Pep is better than Jose. But he sure as hell has a better track record. Oh and Pep is still in the CL (for as much as I want Bayern to be eliminated tonight, I don't see that happening) So, how does that apply to Pep who has as many CLs as Mou but in far fewer years? And still has a good chance for a 3rd.

My point is that managers do not matter all that much, it's the quality of the players plus fitness that are the deciding factors in football, not managers. But even if we apply the manager-centric logic to football, Mourinho comes out short on so many levels.

He has had success in the last 10 years. Sure he has! Name one manager than enjoyed so much time with so much money available and then we can compare! Ancelotti has had less time with top-dollar sides, but has more Champions Leagues. Suck on that Jose!

DrPepper

My point is that managers do not matter all that much, it's the quality of the players plus fitness that are the deciding factors in football, not managers.

This. Anyone can take over the Atletico team, win La Liga and reach the Champions League Final :coffee:

DrPepper

How? A lot of these cases can be found. Also there are a lot of shit managers who made their teams look worse than they actually were. RM managers post Del Bosque or national team coaches like Scolari or Löw come to mind.

JackaL

Instead of the best, we might say most successful manager. But again, you can change descriptive statistics all the time to make somebody look better than the other. If we get back to topic, which is Lucho. A lot of fans have kind of an idealistic view on how things should work in a club: legends should be respected, no star is bigget than the club and therefore he should shut his mouth in important decisions, no star is bigger than the boss (manager) etc. etc. The problem with that view, I'd love to believe in it and from a purely hypothetical perspective, yes why the fucking not? But reality is different. Take Ferguson for example, he would not dare substituting Cantona in his best years. While all the other players had to comply to Ferguson's rules, Cantona was free to decide whatever to do, being late, dressing however he wanted to etc. Cantona was just too important for that Manu side, Ferguson saw that, he saw how he could win Cantona for the team and he knew that Cantona would thank him with superb performances on the pitch (although he might not behave himself all the time). Sometimes, players or in that case stars, are bigger than their bosses. The sooner those managers understand that, the better for the team actually!

Look at our post-Pep era, changes of managers all the time, Messi taking over as the leader of the team, ffs he won us the title with Vilanova by almost scoring all the possible goals. When the board as well as the coaches are lacking leadership, than somebody else takes that leadership to himself. Sometimes it ends in anarchy, sometimes in chaos, other times in something else.

That's all I'm saying. You say the players are all grown ups. Human behavior actually does not check whether somebody is an adult and should behave to some common sense moral/ethical or whatever standards: humans behave under certain conditions and circumstances, changing these set-ups may change their behavior as well. Being a grown-up does not mean that you do not act emotionally or irrationally.

Gnidrologist

You completely fail to see my point.
My point is that managers do not matter all that much, it's the quality of the players plus fitness that are the deciding factors in football, not managers.
If we take that logic seriously than Pep isn't even good coach. Mediocrity at best. Barca that won 2009/2011 CL was like several magnitudes better than Mou's Porto and Inter if we compare player wise. That team is arguably one of the if not THE best squad this sport ever seen, comparable to 1970s Brazil. Now Pep is a coach of simlarily great team so his success in domestic league and how far he goes in CL doesn't say anything good about Pep. Those players can win matches all by their own, rite? Lucho is already better than him, because he is getting better results with far lesser squad than Pep ever had.

Hahaha.
He won CL with shitty team playing bad football. Bad coach, mhm.
According to StarLord, Real couldn't win much titles under him, because there was Barca with superior players than Real. Nothing to do with Guardiola, who outmatched him.
And what about 2012 Barca that couldn't get past mediocre, aging Chelsea team coached by fucking Di Mateo? top kek

Ridiculous logical fallacies fueled by blind biases on this forum never cease to amaze.:lol:

StarLord

How? A lot of these cases can be found. Also there are a lot of shit managers who made their teams look worse than they actually were. RM managers post Del Bosque or national team coaches like Scolari or Löw come to mind.

Name one more "Simeone case" in the last 10 years or.

Upsets are quite frequent in football (especially in cup competitions) so of course you are going to have your random sides/random managers doing well at some instances. Simeone's success was against far richer opponents, on multiple fronts and is still going strong. I can't think of anything similar in modern football.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You can say what you want about Mou but he won the CL with Porto and Inter.
Once can be a coincedence but when you twice take an underdog to the finish you deserve a lot of respect.

Home of Barca Fans