Luis Enrique

khaled_a_d

Some papers claim that Barca has already contacted Ronald Koeman to check his availability in a summer in case if Lucho won't renew or gets sacked.

#teamRKoeman#teamDutchcoaches (Cruijff, VanGaal, Rijkaard, RKoeman)

Koeman never played Barca type of football as a coach,Crujif,Lucho,Pep & Rijkaard all did despite not having such long coaching career as Koeman.
I don't know,but I really doubt Koeman will be a success here,he is a good coach and I always thought he is underrated but not really sure about his success here.
There are plenty of Dutch candidates. Gio is doing fine with Feynoord ,Phillip Cocu has been gr8 with PSV for some time too and I really like De Boer as a coach but he will need to rebound from the Inter experience.

I know who koeman is. Being a good player also doesn't translate to being a good coach, something he is not.
If Lucho goes, a great coach need to be brought in. They really need to stop with this "barça legends" stuff. Not all ex players from Barça will do well at the helm here. I really hope neither koeman nor de boer ever become Barça coaches .

Lucho,Crujif & Pep were all Barca Legends. They are Barca greatest coaches ever.
Their 4th is Rijkaard,a football legend.who was Crujif student and played Barca type of football with Dutch NT back in the 2000 Euros (this team played insane football,it was just pure luck they didn't win the whole thing)
Being former gr8 player has always been an important factor being a Barca coach,you need to have understanding of how super starts think and how you get the best out of them because this team philosophy is based on entertaining football and superstar oriented.
And recently being connected to the club proved to be huge asset too.
It hasn'ty proven to be a bad thing to say it need to stop.
And like it or not,this is how it gonna work. the next coach isn't gonna be Sampaoli,Marcelino or Allegri. It will be someone related to the club. Valverde,Eusebio,Koeman,Gio etc

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
@BBZ8800

I see what you're saying, but it's not like Koeman is playing prototype Barcelona football either. His style is more defensive than that.

And I do get the stuff with former players, or Cruyff's disciples, but that doesn't necessary mean we have to sign a coach who is that. There will come a time when the former players who are good coaches won't be available. What do we do then? Hire a bad coach just because he had history here?

You need to understand the environment at Barca and handle the egos, but that doesn't mean only former players or players associated with the club or former legends, key persons in the club are able to do the job,

If a coach got tactical nous, is respected by his players and got a track record of managing difficult characters then what more do you need?

That Chile team Sampaoli managed had some pretty difficult guys to handle there. Guys who has already had some issues with their new coach Pizzi. He managed those players excellently and brought them to the position they are today. He is also proving to be great at the same in Sevilla, making freaking Samir Nasri of all people focus and play so well.

And the way he was embraced by players like Mascherano, Neymar shows how highly they respect him. So for me he has shown he got the respect of some of the prominent Barca players already, tactically he is great and he also got great man managing skills.

Sure if we would rather go for the safe bets like Valverde or Eusebio or Koeman.....which aren't really that safe anyway, then the club can go for that, but to make it the only factor is just stupid these days.

FC B

Sampaoli is the best choice atm as far as I'm concerned. But what if Enrique won't leave or our stupid board won't consider Sampaoli a priority ?

Last edited:

Neeraj

I like Sampaoli. I know it's never going to happen, but I wonder how Ancelotti would do here. I know his style is totally different, but I wonder if he could or would adapt to our style and players. Would love to have a looking glass to see that Barca..

F

FlaFCB

Lucho,Crujif & Pep were all Barca Legends. They are Barca greatest coaches ever.
Their 4th is Rijkaard,a football legend.who was Crujif student and played Barca type of football with Dutch NT back in the 2000 Euros (this team played insane football,it was just pure luck they didn't win the whole thing)
Being former gr8 player has always been an important factor being a Barca coach,you need to have understanding of how super starts think and how you get the best out of them because this team philosophy is based on entertaining football and superstar oriented.
And recently being connected to the club proved to be huge asset too.
It hasn'ty proven to be a bad thing to say it need to stop.
And like it or not,this is how it gonna work. the next coach isn't gonna be Sampaoli,Marcelino or Allegri. It will be someone related to the club. Valverde,Eusebio,Koeman,Gio etc
calling lucho a legend as a player is a bit of a stretch, imo. Or even one of our greatest coaches, treble or not. He's very limited, and I really think this team could be much better with a better coach than lucho.

Ofc there are positives from being previously connected to the club, but those names you said aren't good enough to be Barca coaches to me.

BBZ8800

Koeman never played Barca type of football as a coach,Crujif,Lucho,Pep & Rijkaard all did despite not having such long coaching career as Koeman.
I don't know,but I really doubt Koeman will be a success here,he is a good coach and I always thought he is underrated but not really sure about his success here.
There are plenty of Dutch candidates. Gio is doing fine with Feynoord ,Phillip Cocu has been gr8 with PSV for some time too and I really like De Boer as a coach but he will need to rebound from the Inter experience.

Koeman was a coach of both Ajax and Psv and won league titles there.
I geuss that he played attacking at least there? (I don't remember, maybe some other guys know better)

For fans who didn't watch football back then, Euros 2000, quarters, Netherlands:Yugoslavia (later Serbia) 6:1 (Barcaboys Kluivert and Overmars scoring 4+2)

@BBZ8800

I see what you're saying, but it's not like Koeman is playing prototype Barcelona football either. His style is more defensive than that.

And I do get the stuff with former players, or Cruyff's disciples, but that doesn't necessary mean we have to sign a coach who is that. There will come a time when the former players who are good coaches won't be available. What do we do then? Hire a bad coach just because he had history here?

Imo, we will never be short of coaches with connection to our club and with our DNA.
Currently: Van Gaal, Rijkaard, F. De Boer, R. Koeman, Cocu, Van Bronckhorst, Oscar, Gerard Lopez, Lucho, Pep.
Majority of them will be (let's hope) alive and working in 5-10-20 years, and by then, we will get a few new names like Xavi, maybe Iniesta, Puyol (and similar)
Henrik Larsson is a young coach in Helsingborgs currently.
Very soon we'll have a lot of interesting coaches from guys who won a CL with us in 2006, 2009 and 2011.

So, my point is, there will never be a shortage of Barca-related very good coaches.
On the other hand, we will from time to time hire a coach who is not Barca related (if a one is a huge hit currently), but even then, we will "force" him to keep our style.
If I remember, all coaches from 1990 till today more or less played "our" style.
You just can't come here and play your own unique style. You can add some new ideas and new touches, but in the end, it has to be Barca's style.
(I'll add Barca's shirt analogy. You can change number of stripes and how thick stripes are in each season, or you can pick a slightly lighter or darker blue color each new season, but at the end of a day, regardless of number of stripes, and a variation of blue color=our shirt is always the good old red and blue shirt with a few classic stripes).
So, a new coach can slightly "alter" colors and stripes, but you can't come to Barca and say: we will have a yellow shirt with a lion's head on it :blondemessi:

If a coach got tactical nous, is respected by his players and got a track record of managing difficult characters then what more do you need?

I will use numbers, just to try to explain it better.
Imagine that Sampaoli has tactical skill 10/10, managing players 9/10, similarity to Barca's style 3/10.
Then, imagine Cocu: tactical skill 8/10, managing players 8-9/10, similarity to Barca's style 10/10.
Koeman: tactical skill 8-9/10, managing players 8-9/10, similarity to Barca's style 10/10.
If you get me?

Sampaoli would need to be better than Cocu or Koeman like Messi vs Pedro in order to achieve "enough points" since he will lose the advantage on other areas (Barca's DNA, knowing Barca, knowing our city, knowing our fans, knowing media, knowing pressure, knowing everything in and out).
So, unless a coach is miles better than Barca's guys in tactics, then he isn't having any advantage imo.
If Cocu or Koeman are at least 8-9/10 in tactics, that's more than enough. They are winning league titles in Netherlands with Ajax/Psv who probably have the highest similarity of all clubs in the world compared to Barca (total football, attacking football, technical and possession football).

About Sampaoli, I'll add a few things which I don't like:
-- Barca doesn't hire Southamerican coaches usually and we weren't too lucky with them
-- Sampaoli is for now a knock-out phase coach, a guy suited for NT teams and knockout matches. He is yet to learn 100s of tiny tricks how to play week in and week out and how to win league championships on European soil
-- Chilean NT style is far from Barca's playing style, imo

So, for now, at least my pick: Cocu/Koeman or some former Barca guy is still waaaaay ahead current Sampaoli.

Last edited:
F

FlaFCB

All this stuff about barça playing style, and lucho's style is not really the barça classic style. He also doesn't develop or try to integrate b players. This is not some sort of holy truth.

BBZ8800

calling lucho a legend as a player is a bit of a stretch, imo. Or even one of our greatest coaches, treble or not. He's very limited, and I really think this team could be much better with a better coach than lucho.

Ofc there are positives from being previously connected to the club, but those names you said aren't good enough to be Barca coaches to me.

For some, a legend is a player who won a CL, for others it's a player with a huge impact in general, and who played many seasons here.
Lucho was here for 8 seasons. Imo, he is a legend as a player.

All this stuff about barça playing style, and lucho's style is not really the barça classic style. He also doesn't develop or try to integrate b players. This is not some sort of holy truth.

Well, 3 Lucho's years, when analyzed together, then yes, we aren't playing too classical style.
But we were close to it in a 2nd half of 2014/2015 and a 1st half of 2015/16 season.

If Barca's classical style is something like Pep's era, well we didn't play that way either with Cruijff, Van Gaal or Rijkaard.
Lucho is closer to those coaches.

But also, Lucho lost the plot because of MSN.
Time will tell whether it was Lucho's fault to rely too much on MSN, or we just can't play any other way with those 3 egos on a field.

Home of Barca Fans