Luis Enrique

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Roberto was named as best young rb by Uefa and standing high here too in mom, Palencia doing good in B team...

This will be Paco 2.0.

Yea, I would love a good RB with the added bonus of bringing Roberto back to midfield, but if Lucho remains in charge he's just as likely to be shipped out -_-

BBZ8800

Some papers claim that Barca has already contacted Ronald Koeman to check his availability in a summer in case if Lucho won't renew or gets sacked.

#teamRKoeman#teamDutchcoaches (Cruijff, VanGaal, Rijkaard, RKoeman)

F

FlaFCB

Really hope this is BS. Koeman is not a good candidate. His work with Everton is really bad. Being dutch is not a synonym to being good.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I think we'd be better of with someone who can stir things up a bit and who won't pamper players. Koeman is too calm imo.

BBZ8800

Really hope this is BS. Koeman is not a good candidate. His work with Everton is really bad. Being dutch is not a synonym to being good.

His work with Everton is better than what Rijkaard, Pep and Luis Enrique have done before Barca.

About Koeman:
1. he is a Barca's legend
2. he is Dutch, they are closely connected with our style and DNA
3. he was calm as a player, a leader, game reader, had awesome passes
4. his playing style could say something about him (the same as how Pep's style as a player said a lot about him, Rijkaard's also. And sadly, Lucho's also... Lucho was the most chaotic player and a coach out of all of them)
Koeman has Barca's DNA, possession football, total football and attacking/dominating football in his DNA.
The same as Pep, he played and learned a lot about tactics under Cruijff in his dream team.

I would pick Koeman over any other current candidate:

Last edited:
F

FlaFCB

I know who koeman is. Being a good player also doesn't translate to being a good coach, something he is not.
If Lucho goes, a great coach need to be brought in. They really need to stop with this "barça legends" stuff. Not all ex players from Barça will do well at the helm here. I really hope neither koeman nor de boer ever become Barça coaches .

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I know who koeman is. Being a good player also doesn't translate to being a good coach, something he is not.
If Lucho goes, a great coach need to be brought in. They really need to stop with this "barça legends" stuff. Not all ex players from Barça will do well at the helm here. I really hope neither koeman nor de boer ever become Barça coaches .

They tried with Tata and burned their fingers.
Hard to argue with selections of pep and Lucho.

F

FlaFCB

They tried with Tata and burned their fingers.
Hard to argue with selections of pep and Lucho.

This is a bad example, as Tata was never a great coach. Most people had never even heard of him back then. I still have no idea why they chose him. There are far better coaches than Koeman around.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
BBZ,

Everton are absolutely horrible under Koeman and Southampton proving he wasn't the reason for their sucess either despite yet again losing some key players without even replacing them.

Koeman and De Boer are simply not good enough. I'd keep Lucho instead.

Sampaoli was asked about potentially replacing Lucho and leaving Sevilla in the Summer and gave a diplomatic answer. We got Sampaoli and even someone like Marcelino around with a better resume than Koeman IMO.

And as you say, we can't afford to waste Messi's final years.

Last edited:

ini4ever

Koeman is too defensive imo i think he wouldn't make the best out of midfield and msn. Wish Sampaoli will be available by next summer.

BBZ8800

Koeman is too defensive imo i think he wouldn't make the best out of midfield and msn. Wish Sampaoli will be available by next summer.

Again, imo, it is hard to compare coach's style of play and results in a weaker team and Barca.
I may be romantic, but I am quite sure that Barca and Koeman would play more or less the same as Van Gaal's, Cruijff's or Rijkaard's Barca.
Good old classic Barca's possession football, in a 433 with a strong midfield, possession, attacking and domination.

BBZ,

Everton are absolutely horrible under Koeman and Southampton proving he wasn't the reason for their sucess either despite yet again losing some key players without even replacing them.

Koeman and De Boer are simply not good enough. I'd keep Lucho instead.

Sampaoli was asked about potentially replacing Lucho and leaving Sevilla in the Summer and gave a diplomatic answer. We got Sampaoli and even someone like Marcelino around with a better resume than Koeman IMO.

And as you say, we can't afford to waste Messi's final years.

You know that I like history and some things just work for some reason, and some things don't.
English players never work well in Barca. Italians the same.
Brasilians and Dutch players usually fit the best and are closest to our Dna, culture, philosophy, style of play.

For example, all of our coaches since 1990 till today:
1988-1996: Cruijff
-- a former player, Dutch
= won tons of trophies, a huge success
1996-1996: Robson
-- stayed only 1 year
1997-2000: Van Gaal
-- Dutch, close to our style
-- won 2 La Ligas in 3 years
2000-01: Serra Ferrer, a random coach
-- nothing
2001-02: Carles Rexach, a former player
-- nothing
2002: Van Gaal
-- nothing
2003: Antic, a random successful coach from La liga
-- nothing
2003-2008: Rijkaard
-- Dutch, close to Barca's DNA with total football
-- he brought Barca on top of Europe again
2008-2012: Pep, a former player
-- no need to explain too much
2012-2013: Tito
2013-2014: Tata, a random successful coach
-- nothing
2014-?: Luis Enrique
-- 1 Cl, 2 La ligas

Basically, from 1990 till today, only CL winners were:
1. Cruijff
-- a former player, Dutch, Barca's DNA
2. Rijkaard
-- Dutch, total football DNA
3. Pep
-- a former player, Barca's DNA
4. Lucho
-- a former player, Barca's DNA

Coaches who won La Ligas:
1. Cruijff
2. Van Gaal, Dutch, total football DNA
3. Rijkaard
4. Pep
5. Lucho
6. Tito, Barca's DNA

Coaches who didn't win neither La liga nor CL:
1. Bobby Robson (not a former player, not Dutch, doesn't have Barca's or total football DNA)
2. Serra Ferrer (not a former player, not Dutch, doesn't have Barca's or total football DNA)
3. Carles Rexach (a former player, but not Dutch, doesn't have total football DNA)
4. Antic (not a former player, not Dutch, doesn't have Barca's or total football DNA)
5. Tata (not a former player, not Dutch, doesn't have Barca's or total football DNA)

DonAk, I will try one analogy, some may not agree but, coaches like Koeman are like Verratti/Gundogan in terms of players.
Verratti/Gundogan would fit here like a glove, that's clear to any fan.
On the other hand, Sampaoli, imo, is something like Pogba or Kroos. World class player, but it is very debatable how that player would fit into Barca's system.

We play more or less the same formation and style since always.
This is why we never hired Mourinho or Ancelotti, because they would bring a totally different philosophy.
Sampaoli, I don't see too many connections with Barca's DNA, and that is one extremely important skill in the last 20-30 years for Barca.

Our La Masia is designed to create Cms for 433 formation since always.
Our players are raised that way since they were kids.
Imagine now a new coach who would say: we will play 442 or 451 with some totally new ideas.

This is why, imo, always even a weaker coach (who is let's say 90% of quality like Koeman) but who knows our city, style, formation, DNA, expectations, people, players will be in advantage over a guy who is 100% of quality (as a coach) but who shares very little connection with our roots and our style.

At the end of the day, even Real has the best results in the last 10-15 years under a coach who has RM's DNA (Zidane).

We are not City, Chelsea or other clubs who are willing to totally change their formation and style each 2-3 years, whenever a new coach comes in.

Anyway, this article talks about the same things as me in this post:
"And Sportitalia report the Catalan giants have already made their move for Koeman, with Enrique still unwilling to commit beyond the end of the current campaign.
Barcelona have developed a tendency to employ people who know the club as manager following the incredible success of Pep Guardiola.
The current Manchester City boss’ only previous experience was with the club’s B team.
But he won the Treble in his first season and introduced a new style of football, before winning another Champions League trophy two years on.
His assistant, Tito Vilanova, replaced him when he decided to take a sabbatical — and he won the title in his only year in charge.
The sequence was interrupted when Tata Martino was brought in, but Barca finished the season trophyless, and failed to reach the Champions League semi-finals for the first time in seven years.
So the hierarchy reverted to type in 2014 and brought in former midfielder Enrique — despite a dreadful spell with Roma two years earlier, which ended with no European football after spending heavily.
He replicated Guardiola by winning the Treble in his maiden season.
And he followed that up with a league and cup double in his second campaign.
Enrique’s success has convinced Barcelona’s chief they need to hire people who can understand and adhere to the club’s unique philosophy.
Koeman was part of Johan Cruyff’s Dream Team and spent a trophy-laden six years at the Nou Camp.
He won four La Liga titles in a row, three Spanish Super Cups, a Copa del Rey, a European Cup and a Uefa Super Cup.
While he also has a wealth of managerial experience to boot.
Koeman has won Dutch titles while in charge of Ajax and the PSV Eindhoven, as well as enjoying cup successes with Benfica, Valencia and AZ Alkmaar."

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

Problem with Koeman in Everton and Pep in ManCity is that some of the players they inherited are completely incapable of playing the way coaches want the teams to play.

Home of Barca Fans