Man of the Match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
This is a hard one..

Messi - ran our game again. Tried a lot but his partners up-front didn't have their night.
Alba - can't blame him for the goal. What's he's supposed to do? Grow 10 cms? Looked very lively and looked great on that left flank.
Alves - Similar to Alba. You can say what you want about Alves but he's a trier. Worked hard again and gave his all.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Messi - His best game in a few weeks. Only an inspired Forster prevented him from scoring a hat-trick. His passing today was special.
Alves - Always an option on the right. Some great crosses and link-up play.
Xavi - Showcased great skill to control the ball a number of times. His passing today was more incisive than usual. Unfortunate on the error, happens to the best too apparently.

Honorable mentions:
Alba - was great today but the other 3 were simply better for me.
Cesc - was the best of the rest I guess.

Flops (well not flops per se - just the worse performers on the team):
Song - lucky to stay on the field.
Masch - had an okay game but didn't look very convincing.
Iniesta - seemed he didn't do anything at all besides waste chances with wayward shooting.

Pepe Silvia

Alves- Missed a few passes but he made up for it with his relentlessness and intelligent runs.
Alba- Looked badass for the entire game save that corner but he couldn't be expected to mark any better than that without giving up a penal.
Messi- Dangerous runs and doing other people's jobs, not necessarily the goal that got him my vote.

Ursegor

World Champion
I have NO fecking clue for whom to vote in this one. I thought EVERYONE was bad.

Song could have been easily sent off. His play with the ball wasn't particularly bad but without the ball he was always a split second too late. I'll give him more time to adapt but seriously. He's not even among the best in Cameroon. :pep:

Iniesta. Since when does Iniesta need 2 or 3 touches to control a ball properly? Dafuq is this? Who broke the Don?

Xavi needs Busquets to perform. FACT. Still the best midfielder out there and some of the touches were mindblowing (the one ball falling from 500 yards which he controled while making a 900° degree turn with a defender on his neck) but, yeah, other than that ... Xavi without Busquets is like Messi without Xavi. :pep: Horizontal passes? Of course he's doing horizontal passes and playing extra cautiously. Do people believe he trusts Alex Song to cover his back? :lol:

Alexis. He is getting better and taking on defenders more. But still, that 1 header alone is not going to convince me that he created enough danger upfront.

Pedro. I guess after Pep's statement that he doesn't know why he didn't play Pedro more often last season, Tito can't sub him off anymore or it will look awkward.

Bartra. Better than Mascherano. Needs to be more calm with the ball though and DAT 1 moment ...

Mascherano. He's the flop of the season for me. In EVERY game he's producing some fuckups so far. Let it be a poor touch which leads to a corner which leads to a goal. His 2 own goals so far. His moment against Madrid. His moment against Granada when he stopped running back and Valdes made that 1 on 1 save. His positioning right after the second half started against Celta (that early chance which went just wide). His red card. Some sliding tackles which he doesn't get right, leaving him grounded on his ass. Balls over the top of him. His positioning in general. It seems extremely easy to get behind him. Could have been red-carded today for that challenge as he was the last defender coming from behind. He definitely pulled the arm of that forward. And while I thought that he's actually quite pacey, he did lose a couple of foot races. Pique + Puyol. Nothing else. PLEASE.

Alves. Y u cross ball into box against tallest team in the tournament again and again? He needed like 3 touches to control a ball and then another 3 seconds to stop and think whom to pass the ball to. Needs to learn from Alba how to make overlapping byline runs and get LOW crosses into the box.

Alba. Y u no 5 inches taller? Other than that: :wub:

Valdes. Could he have prevented any of the goals? Probably not. But he's Valdes and we conceded 2 goals. So he automatically sucks and we need to buy Forster ASAP.

Messi. Scoring a goal for his newborn while losing. Now that kid will become super shit at football. Too bad. Other than that I really liked him playing RW again I must say. Messi running at defenders. That's what I want to see. And not Messi strolling around the midfield and congesting the middle even more.

That is all.

No, wait. It isn't. I forgot the subs.

Villa. SWAG. :wub:

Pique. GTFO Villa's way!

Cesc. I seriously don't know. The only thing I remember from him was how Xavi told him to GTFO while he wanted to take a corner.

That is all.

Trickykid

Messi
Iniesta
Alba

I would've liked to include Alves because of his relentlessness and renacity, but in my eyes his decision making was horrible last night. What's the point in doing those high crosses time and again, when the opposition is a foot taller in average?

I honestly liked Alexis too, but he obviously didn't do quite enough to make the top3.

Trickykid

The Official Barcaforum.com MoM-thread award
Champions League, Celtic, away (1-2)

1. Messi (46,8%) His best game in a few weeks. Only an inspired Forster prevented him from scoring a hat-trick. His passing today was special ~ footyfan
2. Alves (19,1%) Missed a few passes but he made up for it with his relentlessness and intelligent runs ~ Pepe Silvia
2. Alba (19,1%) can't blame him for the goal. What's he's supposed to do? Grow 10 cms? Looked very lively and looked great on that left flank ~ Bojan

Due to lack of time and an underwhelming amount of votes, I will keep it short this time around, and just leave you with the cold, hard facts.

...yay for Alves making his season debut in the top3 though!

99kvh4.jpg

Last edited:
X

xaviniesta

Thanks, jiopi. Yeah, it was the same when we lost to Los Merengues. It's a shame, but there's not much we can do about it, really.

well, it is, to be less bitter after losses and still vote. if by me you didnt mean yourself and jioppi, not we as cules as the whole forum (well more or less then)

Trickykid

well, it is, to be less bitter after losses and still vote. if by me you didnt mean yourself and jioppi, not we as cules as the whole forum (well more or less then)

True that, true that.
My point is though, that noone should dicate which threads and to what degree people on a forum should participate in any thread, unless of course rules are somehow broken. When that is said though, it would do the purpose of this thread a whole lot of good, if people were more consistent in their voting.

pawanme10

Celtic match:

1. Messi - He was really determined to do something and THAT pass to Alba..! :worthy:

2. Villa - Changed the dynamics of the game after coming on.

3. Alves - is getting back to his beast mode. Won't be long before we watch a scorcher from way outside the box bulge the top of the net. :)

Special mention-
Alba- Looked great throughout the match except for that corner, but as Bojan said we can't expect him to grow 10 cms. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans