Manchester United

ajnotkeith

No it's true.

You have constantly slagged me off for saying they'll struggle. When many people believe they will and based on past performance that's the most likely outcome.

I think Horatio secretly wants them to do well because of his misplaced patriotism and following anyone who has Dutch players/managers. As for you, it's pretty clear that United are likely your English 'team'. Hence your rosy, positive spins on them.
Is coming 5th struggling though (for them)? The Prem has a lot of good teams and United have been shockingly mismanaged over the past years, so I wouldn't call 5th a huge failure or struggling, disappointing maybe, but relative to their goals, probably not a disaster.

Maradona37

I think he doesn't disagree with you that much and neither did I. I think the prediction of 5th and 6th is pretty fair considering they came 8th last season. They aren't close to City or Arsenal in league terms at the moment and likely worse than Liverpool, so they would fight for the 4th place along with the other teams such as Tottenham and Chelsea.

The difference is the perception and whether you think finishing 5th or fighting for top4 is positive or not. I think it is positive as long as they're trying to institutionally change and build foundations for the future, you also keep saying how they fluked an FA Cup but in reality major finals are often won by teams who spend a lot of time defending and that doesn't mean it was a fluke. Where you disagree is that you think defensive football doesn't win leagues which I agree it usually doesn't, but it can win cups, and Ten Hag has shown he's a good cup manager so far at the least.
The point is loads of teams can be cup teams and fail in the league, United know that themselves from the 80s. True that counter-attack wins cup finals often. That's why counter-attack teams do well in cups and often beat Pep teams.

Where we disagree is that they're on a 'positive trajectory'. Ratcliffe and his buddies have it all to prove and I remain unconvinced it isn't another clown show, and the transfers made reinforce that view in me,

I am sure if I said this stuff on Arsenal Mania, Bluemoon, RAWK, Newcastle forums, Villa Talk etc most would agree with me and 'like' my posts. But United have a few sympathisers on here bizarrely enough.

I think it's because none of you are English so you see United as more 'entitled' to success than Newcastle or Aston Villa. To you Man United are English football royalty. They 'should' be at the top of the English game, so you tie yourself in knots to proclaim them 'on the way back'

But they're most likely not.

Maradona37

Aye a medal would be decent.

Not anyone referring to. Have spoke to him about football and he has proven his knowledge in game. But not one refer to.
Sure he has. Probably thinks Rashford is world-class like you eh? Probably predicts Man United to win the league every season? Probably thought Arsenal would beat Bayern last season aye?

Loads of far better players than your 'uncle's mate' talk bollocks on Sky Sports every week. Dropping a humblebrag like that in randomly is tragic.

JamDav1982

Sure he has. Probably thinks Rashford is world-class like you eh? Probably predicts Man United to win the league every season?

Loads of far better players than your 'uncle's mate' talk bollocks on Sky Sports every week. Dropping a humblebrag like that in randomly is tragic.

Aye. Maybe.

ajnotkeith

The point is loads of teams can be cup teams and fail in the league, United know that themselves from the 80s. True that counter-attack wins cup finals often. That's why counter-attack teams do well in cups and often beat Pep teams.

Where we disagree is that they're on a 'positive trajectory'. Ratcliffe and his buddies have it all to prove and I remain unconvinced it isn't another clown show, and the transfers made reinforce that view in me,

I am sure if I said this stuff on Arsenal Mania, Bluemoon, RAWK, Newcastle forums, Villa Talk etc most would agree with me and 'like' my posts. But United have a few sympathisers on here bizarrely enough.

I think it's because none of you are English so you see United as more 'entitled' to success than Newcastle or Aston Villa. To you Man United are English football royalty. They 'should' be at the top of the English game, so you tie yourself in knots to proclaim them 'on the way back'

But they're most likely not.
I agree with this and did mention in my post I don't think they will ever be able to win a league title unless they switch to a far more control based system. They could keep doing well in the cups though and perhaps in CL down the line which isn't a bad thing either, it just depends what you are expecting of them.

If you expect them to be league winners soon, then of course, that is never happening, and you'll see them as a failure. I just think for now it isn't the worst thing if they are competing for 4th place and doing well in cups as they have been in a dire state over the last decade.

Maradona37

Is coming 5th struggling though (for them)? The Prem has a lot of good teams and United have been shockingly mismanaged over the past years, so I wouldn't call 5th a huge failure or struggling, disappointing maybe, but relative to their goals, probably not a disaster.
Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 8th again, which is definitely struggling.

Either way, the money they have spent on transfers and wages is astronomical, yet you paint 5th as a decent return for them (I know your caveat is they're 'improving', based on absolutely nothing by you).

Maradona37

Opinions.
If you don't understand that a team from 2018-2024 that plays the best football English football has ever seen, a team which wins trebles and CL, would beat a 90s team with guys like 'G Nev', Hughes and McClair in it handily, then you haven't a clue.

The league is miles better now than in the 90s when United were on top. City get far more points and are far more dominant.

it's not up for debate.

ajnotkeith

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 8th again, which is definitely struggling.

Either way, the money they have spent on transfers and wages is astronomical, yet you paint 5th as a decent return for them (I know your caveat is they're 'improving', based on absolutely nothing by you).
By an utterly incompetent disaster of a board who signed basically average players for giant fees, yes, that is what led them to this problem, they have repeatedly signed average players for grossly inflated fees for many years now.

That board is gone and I think the new one will learn some lessons of the past from the awful business done by the Glazers.

JamDav1982

If you don't understand that a team from 2018-2024 that plays the best football English football has ever seen, a team which wins trebles and CL, would beat a 90s team with guys like 'G Nev', Hughes and McClair in it handily, then you haven't a clue.

The league is miles better now than in the 90s when United were on top. City get far more points and are far more dominant.

it's not up for debate.

Possibly. Its a great debate.

McClair or 'Choccy' was as loyal as the day is long.

Winner.

ajnotkeith

it's not up for debate.
Are you a City fan by chance? You spoke about bluemoon and you seem to really hate United and their fans.

Maradona37

I agree with this and did mention in my post I don't think they will ever be able to win a league title unless they switch to a far more control based system. They could keep doing well in the cups though and perhaps in CL down the line which isn't a bad thing either, it just depends what you are expecting of them.

If you expect them to be league winners soon, then of course, that is never happening, and you'll see them as a failure. I just think for now it isn't the worst thing if they are competing for 4th place and doing well in cups as they have been in a dire state over the last decade.
They can't switch to a 'far more control based system' - because counter-attack is in the ethos and identity of their club. For years their fans extolled Ferguson football and mocked Spain and Barca for being boring'.

They will never ever be able to play like City or Barca or any decent hybrid system like Liverpool either.. Counter-attacking is interwoven in the fabric of their club.

I think they're so bad they could finish 8th again. Given the fact they've spent a fortune on transfers and wages (read Soccernomics, the link between league position and wages is a big correlation). it SHOULD be seen as a failure if they don't challenge.

But they're so bad that 5th is seen as 'ok' for them.

Maradona37

By an utterly incompetent disaster of a board who signed basically average players for giant fees, yes, that is what led them to this problem, they have repeatedly signed average players for grossly inflated fees for many years now.

That board is gone and I think the new one will learn some lessons of the past from the awful business done by the Glazers.
Fair enough, that's your opinion. I think the new board will prove to be incompetent too.

Different opinions but don't believe the tabloids talking up the new United board.

Home of Barca Fans