Manchester United

JamDav1982

Living in the 90s, like all man U fanboys.

It's obvious now why United are your second glory hunted club - you grew up watching them in the 90s and your mate's uncle/uncle's mate played for them.

More tragic behaviour from the autist.

90s were unreal for United and nobody can deny.

ajnotkeith

They can't switch to a 'far more control based system' - because counter-attack is in the ethos and identity of their club. For years their fans extolled Ferguson football and mocked Spain and Barca for being boring'.

They will never ever be able to play like City or Barca or any decent hybrid system like Liverpool either.. Counter-attacking is interwoven in the fabric of their club.

I think they're so bad they could finish 8th again. Given the fact they've spent a fortune on transfers and wages (read Soccernomics, the link between league position and wages is a big correlation). it SHOULD be seen as a failure if they don't challenge.

But they're so bad that 5th is seen as 'ok' for them.
I just look at their team and who they paid huge fees for... the likes of Antony and Hojlund costing 160m combined for example, and it's not about hindsight, because those two were never ever worth that much at the time they left either. They spent a massive amount of money but on average players who don't improve them or even simply worsen them, so that explains why they are still bad despite money spent and hard to hold that against the new board.
Antony was a player who had not been able to achieve 10 Eredivisie goals in a season, in a league that is renowned for being piss easy to score in and that the likes of Depay or Luuk De Jong scored 20, 30 goals a season in. Then he comes to the Prem, a much harder league, and struggles to score or assist? What a surprise, I think most informed fans would have been able to tell you he wouldn't with those kind of career statistics. In reality he wasn't worth more than 30 or even 20m when he left, I would think even 30 was a lot as he had not proven anything and had mediocre statistics in a much easier league. He also doesn't have any hugely standout ability that would justify paying over the odds for him despite being unproven.

Hojlund is another who has struggled throughout his career and couldn't get into the team at Copenhagen, he also wasn't amazing in Austrian Bundesliga (which is comparable to League 1 England in strength, likely) and then had one good season with Atalanta in Serie A where he scored 9 league goals. They paid 70 mill based off that and signed him as a starting striker.

Their moves at the time were absurdly bad under the previous board and that's why I am not holding the huge amount spent against the new board or Ten Hag as it clearly didn't improve their squad and therefore shouldn't affect what they are aiming for... they still haven't made many improvements despite spending that much.

Maradona37

90s were unreal for United and nobody can deny.
Generally excellent in the PL. Other than one season underperformed a lot in the CL.

And, at the time, Serie A and La Liga were clearly much stronger leagues than the PL. The PL was pretty primitive in the 90s.

United can only dominate when the standard is lower. But no doubt you'll tell me the kick and rush hoofball tactics of the 90s from most teams were better to watch than City now. Top stuff.

2 CLs (both won luckily in the end) for Fergie in 27 years. And two hammerings by Barca too.

Fati_Future_BallonDor

Yeah Pep highlights him as making a big difference to when City face them in terms of beating the press.

Yep he was sensational against City and Utd looks way with him on the pitch

i would like to see him with De ligt
Looked good getting run ragged by Oscar Bobb the other day (y)

I do rate him generally, to a point. But even him they go OTT with, calling him the best CB in the world. Well, other than the other best CB in the world now, De Ligt.

he isnt prime Van dijk but Utd is definitely better with him and except his wonderful passing skills he seems to be a leader - this season Utd will be different :quemiras:

ajnotkeith

Living in the 90s, like all man U fanboys.

It's obvious now why United are your second glory hunted club - you grew up watching them in the 90s and your mate's uncle/uncle's mate played for them.

More tragic behaviour from the autist.
Are you trolling? Whats with all the autism stuff and obsessing over United?

I also remember another guy on here who used to call people autists a lot...

JamDav1982

Generally excellent in the PL. Other than one season underperformed a lot in the CL.

And, at the time, Serie A and La Liga were clearly much stronger leagues than the PL. The PL was pretty primitive in the 90s.

United can only dominate when the standard is lower. But no doubt you'll tell me the kick and rush hoofball tactics of the 90s from most teams were better to watch than City now. Top stuff.

2 CLs (both won luckily in the end) for Fergie in 27 years. And two hammerings by Barca too.

Possibly. Its all about opinions.

Maradona37

I just look at their team and who they paid huge fees for... the likes of Antony and Hojlund costing 160m combined for example, and it's not about hindsight, because those two were never ever worth that much at the time they left either. They spent a massive amount of money but on average players who don't improve them or even simply worsen them, so that explains why they are still bad despite money spent and hard to hold that against the new board.
Antony was a player who had not been able to achieve 10 Eredivisie goals in a season, in a league that is renowned for being piss easy to score in and that the likes of Depay or Luuk De Jong scored 20, 30 goals a season in. Then he comes to the Prem, a much harder league, and struggles to score or assist? What a surprise, I think most informed fans would have been able to tell you he wouldn't with those kind of career statistics. In reality he wasn't worth more than 30 or even 20m when he left, I would think even 30 was a lot as he had not proven anything and had mediocre statistics in a much easier league. He also doesn't have any hugely standout ability that would justify paying over the odds for him despite being unproven.

Hojlund is another who has struggled throughout his career and couldn't get into the team at Copenhagen, he also wasn't amazing in Austrian Bundesliga (which is comparable to League 1 England in strength, likely) and then had one good season with Atalanta in Serie A where he scored 9 league goals. They paid 70 mill based off that and signed him as a starting striker.

Their moves at the time were absurdly bad under the previous board and that's why I am not holding the huge amount spent against the new board or Ten Hag as it clearly didn't improve their squad and therefore shouldn't affect what they are aiming for... they still haven't made many improvements despite spending that much.
The funny thing about this is their deluded fans still hold up massive hope for Hojlund and see him as a huge part of their future and new regime (deluded). Yet here you are slagging him.

You also completely ignored my point that it's in their ethos as a club to play counter football, and can never play possession football. Nice one.

Maradona37

Not quite 'direct' line but know of those that have been in his company socially and they know some of his staff and get stories relayed on occasion.

Strange guy.
Wow, second hand knowledge of guys who have 'been in Pep's company and know some of his staff'.

Is this how you see yourself as a football guru?

And more autism on you being blissfully unaware of how ironic it is for you to call someone else strange.

JamDav1982

Wow, second hand knowledge of guys who have 'been in Pep's company and know some of his staff'.

Is this how you see yourself as a football guru?

And more autism on you being blissfully unaware of how ironic it is for you to call someone else strange.

Aye thats the way.. some great stories.

Strange guy.

Home of Barca Fans