Manchester United

Jenks

players will be coming to play for manchester united not david moyes, a club the size of united shouldn't have any problem attracting players, the constant managerial changes at chelsea has not stopped them from signing players...

Chelsea pay stupid wages and also bring in big name managers. United probably won't spend big and Moyes is a European nobody. You might attract some of the best up and comers around, but is someone like Ibra or Ronaldo for example going to want to come and work under David Moyes? I doubt it.

Banana-Rama

Chelsea pay stupid wages and also bring in big name managers. United probably won't spend big and Moyes is a European nobody. You might attract some of the best up and comers around, but is someone like Ibra or Ronaldo for example going to want to come and work under David Moyes? I doubt it.

You have no idea how much United will spend, if the club have to spend big to stay competitive then that is exactly what they will do, if you think a club the size of United will give up on winning titles easily then your mistaken. United have always been about signing young up and coming players and it has served us extremely well, with the occasional big signing like Van Persie, I couldn't care less if a mercenary tosser like Ibra wants to play for us or not. A club of Manchester United's wealth and stature won't have any problem bringing good players in, the fact that you doubt United's ability to spend big shows how little you know about the club...

S7_MUFC

We do have money to spend but Glazers are used to success on cheap so they will not spend ridiculous amount of money(ie. like Bayern spent on Martinez) unless they are really concerned about clubs ability to qualify for the champions league, We have always spend around £50-£60m every season for past couple of years and with new commercial and TV deals that amount should increase to £70m-£80m but we spend a lot of money on squad players instead of improving our starting XI, Paying £34m for jones and Young instead of signing someone like modric is reason why we always come up short against top teams. We won the league because of our ability get results against smaller teams but the quality of teams outside top 6 is improving due to new TV deals (ie.Bony and Wanyama signing for mid table sides) so we should be really concerned about our ability to finish in top 4 because Spurs and Arsenal are well capable of finishing ahead of us.

DavidVillano1

Interesting comments from Moyes on Rooney....

"Overall, my thought on Wayne is, if for any reasons we had an injury to Robin van Persie, we'll need him," said Moyes.

"Manchester United isn't about Wayne Rooney. Manchester United is about the team - the club.

"I won't allow Wayne Rooney to become more important than the football club and the football team, because that's the heart of it."

"Maybe in a year's time we might have to look at something else," he added.

"The first year I have to get a chance to see the players and how best to use them."

Jenks

Sounds like Fergie is still pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

You have no idea how much United will spend, if the club have to spend big to stay competitive then that is exactly what they will do, if you think a club the size of United will give up on winning titles easily then your mistaken. United have always been about signing young up and coming players and it has served us extremely well, with the occasional big signing like Van Persie, I couldn't care less if a mercenary tosser like Ibra wants to play for us or not. A club of Manchester United's wealth and stature won't have any problem bringing good players in, the fact that you doubt United's ability to spend big shows how little you know about the club...

I don't doubt our ability, I doubt the owners willingness to put their hand in their pocket. You're being naive if you think that they care about the club the way the fans do, and you're in for a rude awakening if you think this state of success will last in perpetuity. The Premier League is not La Liga, nobody is safe, just ask Liverpool.

Banana-Rama

I don't doubt our ability, I doubt the owners willingness to put their hand in their pocket. You're being naive if you think that they care about the club the way the fans do, and you're in for a rude awakening if you think this state of success will last in perpetuity. The Premier League is not La Liga, nobody is safe, just ask Liverpool.

if the glazers don't invest to insure that the team is good enough to win titles then they won't make the profits they have been making in the last few years, they will lose money if united drop down the table so that is not in there interests, far from me being naive it is actually you who doesn't understand how business works, the glazers are businessmen and treat manchester united as such, if they neglect the business by refusing investment there profits will go down along with the share prices....

Robbie

Before Fergie, United hadn't won the league in well over 3 decades. Clubs go up and down in cycles, and the success he brought them was unprecedented. Him retiring is bringing United back down to earth.

Banana-Rama

Before Fergie, United hadn't won the league in well over 3 decades. Clubs go up and down in cycles, and the success he brought them was unprecedented. Him retiring is bringing United back down to earth.

manchester united are a much bigger club now then when sir alex took over, the club is extremely wealthy and can afford to sign good players annually to continue competing at the top, liverpool have declined because they didn't build on there success by growing the business financially and as a result they cannot compete with the other big clubs. using liverpool's decline as an example of what could happen to united is nothing more then wishful thinking, manchester united are far too wealthy and well run now to go the way of liverpool.

look at the kind of money that united are earning in sponsorships alone, united's revenue is staggeringly big. that comment about success coming in cycles for clubs is not really true anymore, the positions of the biggest clubs such as barcelona, real madrid, bayern, manchester united are secure, it would require colossal mismanagement for any of them to decline dramatically...

JamDav1982

manchester united are a much bigger club now then when sir alex took over, the club is extremely wealthy and can afford to sign good players annually to continue competing at the top, liverpool have declined because they didn't build on there success by growing the business financially and as a result they cannot compete with the other big clubs. using liverpool's decline as an example of what could happen to united is nothing more then wishful thinking, manchester united are far too wealthy and well run now to go the way of liverpool.

look at the kind of money that united are earning in sponsorships alone, united's revenue is staggeringly big. that comment about success coming in cycles for clubs is not really true anymore, the positions of the biggest clubs such as barcelona, real madrid, bayern, manchester united are secure, it would require colossal mismanagement for any of them to decline dramatically...

Agree with all that although Fergie himself considered Man Utd the biggest club in the world when he took over and they were one of the biggest spenders in England in his early years and largely had their pick of players.

Jenks

If United are so rich and can continuously buy the top players, how come they never do any more? Who was the last world class player United bought? RVP at a stretch? Who before that? It's Fergie that kept United at the top, not the size of the club.

Mad Max

All it takes is a few years of poor management and Football moves on. Money is important but even with there big revenues, United can't compete with likes of Chelsea or City in a Spending race so it all comes down to them being smarter and better run(which is what they have been for past 20 years). I personally don't rate Moyes at all as a manager and do think he will fail but I am not sure if that will result in a long term decline of United.(That all depends on how smart there owners are if the things go bad)

JamDav1982

All it takes is a few years of poor management and Football moves on. Money is important but even with there big revenues, United can't compete with likes of Chelsea or City in a Spending race so it all comes down to them being smarter and better run(which is what they have been for past 20 years). I personally don't rate Moyes at all as a manager and do think he will fail but I am not sure if that will result in a long term decline of United.(That all depends on how smart there owners are if the things go bad)

Man Utd are in a position to dwarf Man City and Chelsea especially if FFP is adhered to.

They are much better set for the future than those two.

Mad Max

Man Utd are in a position to dwarf Man City and Chelsea especially if FFP is adhered to.

They are much better set for the future than those two.

I don't necessarily think so. Chelsea have a very young team and all there star performers are in there early-mid 20's. City too have moved a lot of dead wood and older players and in the end FFP might not affect them if they continue to increase revenues and slowly lower there losses. United on the other hand need to replace, the likes of Vidic and Ferdinand in next few years and there best player is going to turn 30 next month.

Robbie

Bayern, Barca, Real, etc have had a revolving door of managers and still remained on top. United have had Ferguson for 26 years. Nobody knows how they will fare with a new guy in charge because that hasn't happened since the 80's. It's all up in the air at the moment

Home of Barca Fans