Marc Bartra

The Observer

What the hell was Tata doing bringing him on for 5 minutes?

Making sure his release clause stays high. :pep:

Anyway, Bartra's minutes isn't Tata's fault. He has to play Mascherano. What else does he have? When he arrived he found himself with a 35 year old semi retiree and a 22 year old rookie with a handful of first division football experience. He can't just throw Mascherano to the side now based on a few good performances from Bartra and completely bank on Bartra to be his first choice who will defend Agüero in 2 months. Bartra is not near ready yet. Puyol correcting him every game in basics is a good indicator.

DinhoR10

Anyway, Bartra's minutes isn't Tata's fault. He has to play Mascherano. What else does he have? When he arrived he found himself with a 35 year old semi retiree and a 22 year old rookie with a handful of first division football experience. He can't just throw Mascherano to the side now based on a few good performances from Bartra and completely bank on Bartra to be his first choice who will defend Agüero in 2 months. Bartra is not near ready yet. Puyol correcting him every game in basics is a good indicator.

Its not like Masch stands a chance against aguero either, but the difference between them is that Bartra has shown immense growth already in a short period of time. He has the potential but will only unlock it if you give him the games.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

I agree that it isn't a massive issue as of yet but I'd rather see us push for a change than remain conservative on this. While Bartra is still raw and correcting himself from time to time, the stability and defensive quality he offers is immense. Mascherano on the other hand has a very, very low ceiling as a CB. So while he is, unlike Bartra, "at his peak state", his peak state is hardly reliable at all. Bartra isn't yet at a full fledged level, but he is good enough to experience more game time and probably play in key games. I'd say he's ready and tested enough for us to take a bit of a risk and give him a bigger role.

khaled_a_d

I agree that it isn't a massive issue as of yet but I'd rather see us push for a change than remain conservative on this. While Bartra is still raw and correcting himself from time to time, the stability and defensive quality he offers is immense. Mascherano on the other hand has a very, very low ceiling as a CB. So while he is, unlike Bartra, "at his peak state", his peak state is hardly reliable at all. Bartra isn't yet at a full fledged level, but he is good enough to experience more game time and probably play in key games. I'd say he's ready and tested enough for us to take a bit of a risk and give him a bigger role.

While this is true , The fact is that Bartra is now in a 3 man rotation for CB with Pique and Masch ,I think that this is already good enough for him
while the kid is good and he deserve his minutes ,I think you should never grantee a starting spot for a player as raw as him in a big team like Barca easily ,this can sometimes lead to young players growing ego and stop developing
He should always realize he needs to earn it and keep the hard work ,he will eventually replace Masch for the starting spot this year ,and with the "no CB signing" policy that Zubi made he will probably remians so for few years
On the other hand Mascherano is a player who has given the club a lot over 3 years ,accepting a role that isn't his ,he is more experienced too ,it will be tough for to suddenly bench him ,specially in the world cup season . that needs to be done gradually ,at least to not finding him making a request to go to Napoli in January,not to mention benching him now will mmake his value less in the market and I think the team is weighting up the option to sell him in summer
Bottom line is that I think Tata is doing fine right now in managing the players ,it could cost the team a goal or to which we have the right to be mad about but I thing it is good overall for the team during the season and for long term

serghei

Excellent observation from beginning to end. :thumbsup2:

serghei

I'd say he's ready and tested enough for us to take a bit of a risk and give him a bigger role.

Tata doesn't seem to agree and I give him credit in this issue. Is better for Bartra to grow step by step, rather than to force him in a though match and end up making a mistake that could cost us the game and could affect his confidence. I think we'll see more of Bartra next season. This season he's not ready to start in a Real, Atletico or City kind of match. He is on the right track of becoming a future starter for this Barca team but he's not quite there yet.

Meitux

Tata doesn't seem to agree and I give him credit in this issue. Is better for Bartra to grow step by step, rather than to force him in a though match and end up making a mistake that could cost us the game and could affect his confidence. I think we'll see more of Bartra next season. This season he's not ready to start in a Real, Atletico or City kind of match. He is on the right track of becoming a future starter for this Barca team but he's not quite there yet.
How can he grow up and get the needed experience if he doesn't get the right time and actually not only the right time and right games to gain experience from them to actually develop. If Bartra stays like his he will never be what we want him to be, he will stay a rotation player playing only when someone is injured or whenever there is a rotation game. You want him to be a better player? You need to risk and see what's the result, we will never know if we won't try him. You wanna stay with Mascherano and get the same old results? You choose, but definitely this situation needs to change. Mascherano is playing there for so long and he's proven that he can't develop more to that position. Bartra has showing the right signs and should get the risk of playing to see if it will work or not, if we don't do that i bet that you will continue saying the same old story that he's not ready yet and all that. We can't always go but the safe way of playing Mascherano and have the fake thought that everything will go well when it's proved it doesn't work, you need sacrifies at times to bring an evolution. And we will never know if Bartra is ready or not if he's not truly tested now that he's showing good signs.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
How do you gain experience? By playing matches.

How do you learn from your mistakes? By gaining experience which you again gain by playing matches.

:shrug:

serghei

How can he grow up and get the needed experience if he doesn't get the right time and actually not only the right time and right games to gain experience from them to actually develop. If Bartra stays like his he will never be what we want him to be, he will stay a rotation player playing only when someone is injured or whenever there is a rotation game. You want him to be a better player? You need to risk and see what's the result, we will never know if we won't try him. You wanna stay with Mascherano and get the same old results? You choose, but definitely this situation needs to change. Mascherano is playing there for so long and he's proven that he can't develop more to that position. Bartra has showing the right signs and should get the risk of playing to see if it will work or not, if we don't do that i bet that you will continue saying the same old story that he's not ready yet and all that. We can't always go but the safe way of playing Mascherano and have the fake thought that everything will go well when it's proved it doesn't work, you need sacrifies at times to bring an evolution. And we will never know if Bartra is ready or not if he's not truly tested now that he's showing good signs.

You don't make crazy bets on key matches. There are strong teams in the League that could test Bartra - like Villareal, Sociedad at Anoeta, FC Sevilia in Seville and others. We should play him in those important, but not essential matches. The fact that he played against Villareal, which was 4th in La Liga at the time, means he is being counted on, and not just in Copa del Rey games against lower division teams, but in rather difficult ones too. We still shouldn't go all in and play Bartra vs. elite teams though. Not yet anyway. Last time we did that, we lost 4-0 at Allianz.

He needs more time to grow and eliminate the mistakes from his game. Against Villareal he made a big error at a corner and he wasn't marking Madzukic or Cristiano Ronaldo, he was marking Musacchio. If he does those kind of mistakes vs Man. City for example, we're in big trouble. Mascherano has played some great matches as a CB for Barca, including a CL final. He is more experienced as a player on that particular position and experience counts a lot in big games.

Last edited:

Maria

You don't make crazy bets on key matches. There are strong teams in the League that could test Bartra - like Villareal, Sociedad at Anoeta, FC Sevilia in Seville and others. We should play him in those important, but not essential matches. The fact that he played against Villareal, which was 4th in La Liga at the time, means he is being counted on, and not just in Copa del Rey games against lower division teams, but in rather difficult ones too. We still shouldn't go all in and play Bartra vs. elite teams though. Not yet anyway. Last time we did that, we lost 4-0 at Allianz.

And the last man that I would blame for that loss is Bartra.

He needs more time to grow and eliminate the mistakes from his game. Against Villareal he made a big error at a corner and he wasn't marking Madzukic or Cristiano Ronaldo, he was marking Musacchio. If he does those kind of mistakes vs Man. City for example, we're in big trouble. Mascherano has played some great matches as a CB for Barca, including a CL final. He is more experienced as a player on that particular position and experience counts a lot in big games.

If we would take into consideration the mistakes that Mascherano has done this season, he shouldn't even be on Barca's bench. And thank God that Pep didn't think like you because otherwise who knows where Busquets would be right now.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans