Marc Bartra

JamDav1982

It sounds from Luchos words today that Masch will be in midfield.

By putting him in CB you are weakening two midfield positions.

Whoever gets the nod I think will do fine.

Zangash

Banned
So no bartra nor mathieu ?
Just send them the message in front of the entire world that we don't trust them to defend .. lol

I'd play Bartra 100%. Mathieu is dogshit and shouldn't ever play in a big game again.

But since apparently Bartra is so fucking awful to these people that they'd seriously rather start Mathieu instead, I'd rather we just go with a weak midfield and at least have some solidarity in the back. This is even despite the poor showing Masche put in as CB last time we played City. Mathieu would be so much worse it's shocking to even think this is a discussion.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
I'd play Bartra 100%. Mathieu is dogshit and shouldn't ever play in a big game again.

But since apparently Bartra is so fucking awful to these people that they'd seriously rather start Mathieu instead, I'd rather we just go with a weak midfield and at least have some solidarity in the back. This is even despite the poor showing Masche put in as CB last time we played City. Mathieu would be so much worse it's shocking to even think this is a discussion.

Okey, so we're now 1million + you to think the same, and 2 guys that think Mathieu is the answer.. though call ! ^^

Come ooooooon lucho, give him his chance and worst case if he crashes than you'll sub him and know, i'm sure he won't disapoint just like he didn't against PSG!

Alik

Okey, so we're now 1million + you to think the same, and 2 guys that think Mathieu is the answer.. though call ! ^^

Come ooooooon lucho, give him his chance and worst case if he crashes than you'll sub him and know, i'm sure he won't disapoint just like he didn't against PSG!

3 guys, if you count Lucho :mou:

Zangash

Banned
3 guys, if you count Lucho :mou:

I wouldn't even say 3. BBZ is anti-masia in general and JamDav is basically an eternal devil's advocate. Give Bartra Mathieu's form and give Mathieu Bartra's form and their opinions wouldn't change.

So really, just one.

C'mon Lucho...

JamDav1982

I dont feel massively strongly for Bartra or Mathieu but dont go with the idea that Mathieu is complete shit and Barta is borderline world class as people seem to be trying to make out.

That game against PSG Bartra played right of three CBs which is as close to a full back as it is a CB. A position that Alves has played on occasion.

That is very different from playing on the left of a back two.

Zangash

Banned
I dont feel massively strongly for Bartra or Mathieu but dont go with the idea that Mathieu is complete shit and Barta is borderline world class as people seem to be trying to make out.

That game against PSG Bartra played right of three CBs which is as close to a full back as it is a CB. A position that Alves has played on occasion.

That is very different from playing on the left of a back two.

He's played well before and has shown more consistency than Mathieu has. All he's missing is the chance to start in these big games.

And I don't see why you're so insistent on dismissing his game vs PSG. He made a triple block off of the line. No matter what his position was, that's still solid defending.

JamDav1982

He's played well before and has shown more consistency than Mathieu has. All he's missing is the chance to start in these big games.

And I don't see why you're so insistent on dismissing his game vs PSG. He made a triple block off of the line. No matter what his position was, that's still solid defending.

That was a great triple block no doubt. If you read back you will see I am not trying to run down Bartra and have said very little negative about him.

I just watched the highlights of that PSG just now and he was RB that didnt really go forward for 90% of that game. More so than I even remembered.

Jombi

I think Mathieu is pretty good. Of course he wasnt worth 20m at his age and giving him a 4 year contract at the age of 31 with the option of an additional year after that was definitely excessive, but now that we have him, I think he should be respected and he is still a good squad player even if he is aging.

DinhoR10

That was a great triple block no doubt. If you read back you will see I am not trying to run down Bartra and have said very little negative about him.

I just watched the highlights of that PSG just now and he was RB that didnt really go forward for 90% of that game. More so than I even remembered.

He wasn't RB in the PSG game really didn't we play a 3-man defense basically with Pedro and Alba going up and down the wings?

JamDav1982

He wasn't RB in the PSG game really didn't we play a 3-man defense basically with Pedro and Alba going up and down the wings?

Yeah he was right sided cb of a three.

My point was on watching his individual highlights again it was closer to a RB in the positions he took up than it was a CB.

DinhoR10

Yeah he was right sided cb of a three.

My point was on watching his individual highlights again it was closer to a RB in the positions he took up than it was a CB.

Right right.

I think Barta can handle it, especially with Pique in the form that he is. Knowing Mascherano he'll have Silva in his pocket so he would just have to worry about balls over the top and the odd through ball from wide. This game is also lower stress than the classico since we have the 2 away goals.

Gnidrologist

Again, Mathieu played 10-20 big matches per Season.
And he is a crap in 5 matches, but good in 15 matches.
If you get my point?
Yes. Your point is LALALALAL I DUUUUN HEEER UUUU and repeating the same flawed argument ad nauseam.
First off, he wasn't good in 15 matches, more like, simply wasn't utter crap.
Secondly those fifty matches ''were against crap teams''. This somehow doesn't apply to him, but it does to Bartra for some reason.
He is a proven guy who will more often than not=put a good defensive display against biggest teams.

Bartra is just forum's favorite player who plays 2 big matches per Season and each time he screws at least 1 out of those 2 matches.
So, in any way Mathieu is a safer option.
No, Mathue isn't proven guy at all. Not at Barca at least. He was so so to awful in all big matches this season. Him being proven in Valencia matters not. Bartra on the other hand was convincing in all matches played this season, both against crappy and solid teams. Conclusion: Bartra should be preferred as for now. If he screws up big time again then ok, let's get back to Matheu. Simple logic.

BBZ8800

Yes. Your point is LALALALAL I DUUUUN HEEER UUUU and repeating the same flawed argument ad nauseam.
First off, he wasn't good in 15 matches, more like, simply wasn't utter crap.
Secondly those fifty matches ''were against crap teams''. This somehow doesn't apply to him, but it does to Bartra for some reason.

No, Mathue isn't proven guy at all. Not at Barca at least. He was so so to awful in all big matches this season. Him being proven in Valencia matters not. Bartra on the other hand was convincing in all matches played this season, both against crappy and solid teams. Conclusion: Bartra should be preferred as for now. If he screws up big time again then ok, let's get back to Matheu. Simple logic.

You should try harder.
Again, stats from this Season:
"-- based on the current La liga table, this is the rankings of the teams, against whom Bartra played:
Home matches:
-- 15. Elche
-- 18. Levante
-- 19. Granada

Away:
-- 7. Malaga
-- 11. Rayo
-- 14. Eibar
-- 15. Elche
-- 16. Almeria
-- 17. Deportivo
-- 19. Granada

-- he did play in a few tougher matches like:
-- Champions league (Ajax, Ajax, Apoel, Apoel, Psg home)
-- and all cup matches, plus cup match against Atletico at home

Matheiu's matches:
Home:
5. Villareal
6. Sevilla
7. Malaga
8. Bilbao
9. Espanyol
10. Celta
11. Rayo
14. Eibar
15. Elche
19. Granada

Away:
2. Real Madrid
3. Valencia
5. Villareal
8. Bilbao
11. Rayo
12. Sociedad
13. Getafe
18. Levante
19. Granada

Champions league:
-- Psg, Psg, Man. City
Cup:
-- Atletico away
-- Villareal home
-- Villareal away

So, let's do some maths and stats:
Bartra's matches against teams from Top10 of La Liga:
-- Home: -
-- Away: Malaga (7)
-- Ajax, Ajax, Psg (Champions league)
-- Atletico (4) cup
= 5 matches in total

Mathieu's matches against strong teams and Top10 La Liga teams:
-- Home: Villareal (5), Sevilla (6), Malaga (7), Bilbao (8), Espanyol (9), Celta (10)
-- Away: Real (2), Valencia (3), Villareal (5), Bilbao (8)
-- Champions League: Psg, Psg, Man. City
-- Cup: Atletico (4), Villareal (5), Villareal (5)
= total 16 matches

** So, a question for you: when you say:
Bartra on the other hand was convincing in all matches played this season, both against crappy and solid teams. Conclusion: Bartra should be preferred as for now. If he screws up big time again then ok, let's get back to Matheu. Simple logic.

The only problem is that Bartra played almost zero matches against decent teams, not to mention STRONG teams.
Lucho has zero faith in him against bigger teams this Season.
Lucho played Bartra in only one La liga match against Top10 teams. (Against 7th placed Malaga)

Against Psg, he played in a 343 formation.
Against Ajax, he was horrible.

Coclusion: when people say that Bartra is good against bigger teams, they are making that up, because Bartra virtually never play against bigger teams.
And people are hoping that he will be good against bigger teams based on his good plays against weakest La liga matches, the only matches he even plays.

If he screws big time, we are out of CL.
So, no thanks.

We can test Bartra during summer in friendlies against bigger teams.
A much safer and less panifull experiment.

Home of Barca Fans