Marc Bartra

Jombi

Where are you getting that from?

Those stats class a header from a defender the same whether it is a punt up the park from Eibar or and Atletico set piece.

But why does Pique win less headers than Bartra against teams like Eibar if he is so much better in the air? That is the question.

JamDav1982

But why does Pique win less headers than Bartra against teams like Eibar if he is so much better in the air? That is the question.

Why do Pique and Masch win more duals in the air in the CL than Bartra does?

Bartra against Eibar was marking their lone striker more than Pique I would guess thats why he won more headers. Who knows.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Pique-Mascherano is our best CB pair which I believe would make Masch our 2nd best CB.

Although that doesn't mean that Masch should absolutely start every game against any opposition, it might be better to play Mathieu or Bartra over him when the opposition's strenght lies in going the aerial route where Mascherano's weakness is.......well.....because of his height which he can't do anything about.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Simple Bartra was part of more duels than Pique, pique has nothing to prove against the likes of eibar while bartra will probably for next 5 matches, so he tired his best to change the coach opinion on him.

JamDav1982

Pique has been brilliant in the air in the Barca box and the opposition box.

It is absurd to try and use these stats to make out Barta is stronger in that area.

Pique been as good in the air at both ends of the pitch as any CB in europe.

Jombi

Pique has been brilliant in the air in the Barca box and the opposition box.

It is absurd to try and use these stats to make out Barta is stronger in that area.

Pique been as good in the air at both ends of the pitch as any CB in europe.

Bartra has been equally spectacular in that area IMO. I dont watch every single CB in Europe, thats literally thousands of players, so I dont know about that. But Bartra, together with Pique of course, is our greatest header in the team.

Zangash

Banned
Why do Pique and Masch win more duals in the air in the CL than Bartra does?

Bartra against Eibar was marking their lone striker more than Pique I would guess thats why he won more headers. Who knows.

Masch, win more balls in the air than Bartra?

Your argument had some validity when saying Pique was better in the air. Mascherano couldn't win a header if it was passed directly to his face, and that's one of the flaws with using him as a CB.

JamDav1982

Masch, win more balls in the air than Bartra?

Your argument had some validity when saying Pique was better in the air. Mascherano couldn't win a header if it was passed directly to his face, and that's one of the flaws with using him as a CB.

Guess you missed the point....

I was saying that those stats are NOT the be all and end all of who is better in air. Hence why would Masch be ahead of Bartra in CL headed duals won if it was.

Jombi

Yes.

On Sqwuaka has has won a higer % of duals in air than Bartra has in CL.

These stats in isolation dont tell everything as clearly Bartra is stronger in air than Masch.

But he has won fewer duels overall than Bartra in the CL and its also worth keeping in mind that Masch played several games as DM in the CL, not CB.

JamDav1982

But he has won fewer duels overall than Bartra in the CL and its also worth keeping in mind that Masch played several games as DM in the CL, not CB.

He has won a higher percentage of headed duals than Bartra by those stats.

By your reckoning someone who tried to win 10 headers and makes 4 gets more praise than someone who tries to win 5 headers and makes 3.

Masch is not better than Bartra in air but Pique is.

Home of Barca Fans