Marc Bartra

El Flaco

Oleguer was good enough to be a starter both in 2005 and 2006, at Cb and in 2006 as a Rb instead of Belletti in all tougher matches.

So, yes, he is closer to Oleguer than to Puyol, but he is miles behind Oleguer.
Oleguer made some horrible mistakes from time to time and he was technically poor when he had the ball, but he was more or less solid in matches against biggest teams like Chelsea, Milan back then.

Bartra is good only against Levante at Nou Camp and played one good match in his whole career against bigger teams (Psg group stage 2014, Camp Nou) where he wasn't a disaster.

Imo, in my eyes it is somewhat rude to compare someone like Bartra with Oleguer.

Oleguer is more or less Barca's legend.
Bartra will probably end like Muniesa and Montoya.

Stats:
= Oleguer 127 appearances in 5 Seasons for Barca
= Bartra 46 appearances in 5 Seasons for Barca

That is quite a difference...
I agree with you that Oleguer actually was a starter (although for a period), something no one can say the same about Bartra. However, he was in fact the weakest link in our line-up. In the CL-final against Arsenal, he had, for example, enormous problems several times. Oleguer was in other words good enough for the starting line-up, yet never been able to be the first choice. Bartra, on the other hand, hasn't performed well enough to actually even compete for a spot in the line-up for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

ATLBarcaFan

Just terrible, boy are we screwed if something happens to Pique. Give the Verminator some minutes in a meaningful game, let's see what happens

El Flaco

Just terrible, boy are we screwed if something happens to Pique. Give the Verminator some minutes in a meaningful game, let's see what happens
Yeah, we must sign a much better CB as an alternative to Pique & Macherano next year.

Vermaelen hasn't been good as I expected but compared to likes of Bartra, he's still a better choice though.

God Serena

Yeah, we must sign a much better CB as an alternative to Pique & Macherano next year.

Vermaelen hasn't been good as I expected but compared to likes of Bartra, he's still a better choice though.

Vermaelen hasn't played a single minute of meaningful football but you prefer him over Bartra? What a ridiculous comment. For all we know he could be Mathieu 2.0. A new CB signing is a must and it boggles the mind how we could go this long without signing a quality CB. Vermaelen and Mathieu were short term solutions that didn't serve to solve any of our problems.

El Flaco

Vermaelen hasn't played a single minute of meaningful football but you prefer him over Bartra? What a ridiculous comment. For all we know he could be Mathieu 2.0. A new CB signing is a must and it boggles the mind how we could go this long without signing a quality CB. Vermaelen and Mathieu were short term solutions that didn't serve to solve any of our problems.

Vermaelen played during the pre-season so I don't understand what you're talking about? Anyway, I was just basing my opinon given to his performances for us and Vermaelen easily proved to be a better choice than Bartra, although I already said that he isn't good as I expected to be.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
I don't understand what happened. He looked miles better in the previous couple of seasons compared to how he is playing right now. :|

God Serena

Vermaelen played during the pre-season so I don't understand what you're talking about? Anyway, I was just basing my opinon given to his performances for us and Vermaelen easily proved to be a better choice than Bartra, although I already said that he isn't good as I expected to be.

Pre-season is completely irrelevant. Roberto looked like a world beater at CM during Tata's preseason. Vermaelen hasn't proven anything whatsoever. As I said before, not a single minute of competitive play (He actually did play some minutes towards the end of the season, but nothing was shown of him in that time). We can't even verify he's better against La Liga minnows. This is just you kneejerking after you see a poor performance.

El Flaco

Pre-season is completely irrelevant. Roberto looked like a world beater at CM during Tata's preseason. Vermaelen hasn't proven anything whatsoever. As I said before, not a single minute of competitive play (He actually did play some minutes towards the end of the season, but nothing was shown of him in that time). We can't even verify he's better against La Liga minnows. This is just you kneejerking after you see a poor performance.

Says the guy who hyped up Munir's pre-season last year in Adama thread. Sure, he missed the whole previous season due to injuries. But since Bartra isn't better than him and not least is available, he should get some matches. My (and everyone else) criticism towards Bartra isn't based after a one match of course but something we've of us have said many times before.

Last edited:

Alarcón

Says the guy who hyped up Munir's pre-season last year in Adama thread. Sure, he missed the whole previous season before due to injuries. But since Bartra isn't than him and not least is available, he should get some matches. My criticism towards Bartra isn't based after a one match but something I've said many times before.

Munir played very well until Suarez became available again which was several months into the season, not to mention he is 4 yrs younger

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
Says the guy who hyped up Munir's pre-season last year in Adama thread. Sure, he missed the whole previous season before due to injuries. But since Bartra isn't better than him and not least is available, he should get some matches. My (and everyone else) criticism towards Bartra isn't based after a one match of course but something we've of us have said many times before.

How many times could you have said it before if you joined last month ? :)

Are you an old member that changed his username ?

BBZ8800

I agree with you that Oleguer actually was a starter (although for a period), something no one can say the same about Bartra. However, he was in fact the weakest link in our line-up. In the CL-final against Arsenal, he had, for example, enormous problems several times. Oleguer was in other words good enough for the starting line-up, yet never been able to be the first choice. Bartra, on the other hand, hasn't performed well enough to actually even compete for a spot in the line-up for extended periods of time.

Oleguer was bad sometimes, especially in that final against fast players.

But he was a starter with Puyol at CB's pair in our title in 2005 (since Marquez had to play as a Dmc because of injuries to defensive midfielders Edmilson and Motta).
But in our 2006', CL's winning Season, Edmilson and Motta were back, and now we had Puyol, Marquez and Oleguer as CB options.
But Rijkaard really appreciated Oleguer that he found a new place for him in our team.
Rijkaard actually kicked out Belletti from a RB position, and Oleguer became a RB in that season.

Now, if Oleguer was as bad as some think, why would Rijkaard invented a new position for him, even though we had other options at RB as Belletti, versatile player Gabri, young hyped future superstar RB Damia (who failed later, of course), and even Sylvinho could have played at Rb if needed...

Anyway, in my eyes, Oleguer wasn't our weakest link.
Puyol was the wall and Marquez was very good.
Oleguer, Van Bronckhorst and Belletti were all weaker in defense than Puyol and Marquez.
In my eyes, Oleguer was as good defensively as VBronckhorst, and Belletti was our weakest link.

Anyway, Oleguer was a starter in our La Liga titles in 2005 and 2006, after 6 years of misery.
And a starter in CL's winning campaign in 2006'.

Bartra is the 4th or the 5th choice for any coach in the last 3-4 years.

Also, Bartra is 24 years old now.
Oleguer was equally as old in our La Liga winning campaign in 2005-06, where he played in 36 La liga matches.
Oleguer was 25 in 2006 with 33 matches in La Liga and 11 matches in our CL's title.

So, some people are laughing at Oleguer, but the guy was more or less good enough to be a starter at Bartra's age both in La Liga and in a CL matches against Milan, Chelsea etc.

That is all I wanted to say :cheers:

Last edited:

El Flaco

Munir played very well until Suarez became available again which was several months into the season, not to mention he is 4 yrs younger

I was just pointing out [MENTION=20420]God Serena[/MENTION]'s hypocrisy regarding pre-season. But yeah, he was good in the opener against Elche (?) but that's the only positive I could say.

Given to his actual performances, Munir is faaar from ready to play in the first team IMO.

Last edited:

God Serena

Says the guy who hyped up Munir's pre-season last year in Adama thread. Sure, he missed the whole previous season due to injuries. But since Bartra isn't better than him and not least is available, he should get some matches. My (and everyone else) criticism towards Bartra isn't based after a one match of course but something we've of us have said many times before.

You irritate me. Nowhere did I "Hype up" anything. He had a solid showing last year in preseason and was called up to the first team until Suarez was free from suspension because of it, and in that time put in many solid performances, and was often just plagued by poor luck. Quit pulling comments out of your ass, especially if you're going to say I'm the one who said them. If I said something along the lines of "Munir is better than Pedro because of his preseason!" like so many did when the wave of hype was surrounding him you may have something, but I didn't, and you do not. Clear?

I don't even particularly care for Bartra. He's highly overrated and every tackle he makes successfully is blown way out of proportion. But to suggest Vermaelen is a better option when he hasn't even been able to walk for a full half year and has only played some sporadic minutes during preseason where he didn't even play particularly well is ludicrous.

silvia

true. at least i can see Bartra tries.
i understands Vermalen rested for so long, but his fit is not just an athlete level. the signing was a mistake from the beginning.

Home of Barca Fans