Marc Bartra

BarçaBarça

As someone mentioned b4 ,Bartra has only one more season left in his contract while having a reasonable buyout clause
It would serve everyone good if he found a new club regardless the CB signing .

I agree - he should be going this summer, it is best for everyone. Maybe one of Mathieu and Vermaelen should go aswell even if we only sign 1 New CB.

God Serena

We have to sell him or he'll leave for free next year as I doubt he'd sign a new contract (if even offered one) knowing what his situation is.

I can almost guarantee he'd sign a new contract if offered. If he was any more intelligent than that he'd have left a long time ago.

If we sign a CB at least one of Bartra, Vermaelen or Mathieu will be sold probably.

Having five CBs has already proven to be way more than what we need. One of those three should leave even if we don't sign another CB. If we do, two of them should go.

khaled_a_d

I can almost guarantee he'd sign a new contract if offered. If he was any more intelligent than that he'd have left a long time ago.

He wanted to leave last year but accepted not to do so b/c of the ban ,I doubt he will renew specially with him signing to Puyol agency .

Having five CBs has already proven to be way more than what we need. One of those three should leave even if we don't sign another CB. If we do, two of them should go.

5 CBs are a must unless there is a player able to play a CB from other positions . specially with an aging CBs we have .if we get a back up LB who is capable of playing CB then 4 CBs is good

God Serena

He wanted to leave last year but accepted not to do so b/c of the ban ,I doubt he will renew specially with him signing to Puyol agency .

5 CBs are a must unless there is a player able to play a CB from other positions . specially with an aging CBs we have .if we get a back up LB who is capable of playing CB then 4 CBs is good

What kind of guidance would you expect from Puyol that he wouldn't get from his current agent? If anything I'd be inclined to think Puyol would tell him to wait it out, it wouldn't be the first time.

5 CBs is overkill. That 5th CB is so rarely used or even needed that we could just give a B team player something special to remember if a case ever arose where we'd need a 5th CB for some mundane game or dead rubber match. Even the 4th choice CB (Vermaelen?) isn't getting many minutes and that's with the 3rd choice CB getting constant minutes at LB.

God Serena

It's about time.

Hopefully his career can recover enough that we might actually consider triggering that buyback before it expires.

BarçaBarça

I don't see why we need to include a buy-back option? Would rather get more money right now and maybe buy a cheaper teen-CB with a chance of being great in time (along with the obligatory proven young CB this summer).

I assume a buy-back clause is made if we think he could develop into start-11 material - bringing him back as squad-player in the future would be a little bit silly IMO.
He has been in this Barca-team for so many years, without breaking into start-11 or convincing multiple coaches, that I just don't see him suddenly becoming Barca-class. Surely, he could get better with regular playing time, but good enough to be a starting CB for us? I don't see it.

Home of Barca Fans