Marc Bartra

Zangash

Banned
Not trying to 'excuse' anything as nothing has been done wrong and the team was managed to a treble so the manager knows his players and that includes Barta.

If he wants to leave that is his choice, personally would rather he stays but up until now he has not done enough to be a starter the onus is on him to change that.

Why would you rather he stay? We already have four CBs who are better than him, right? I remember us discussing this in detail. We still haven't gotten those matching rings, either.

Not every player needs to be a starter. 3rd choice is something that can be strived for, however. Bartra has no real chance of getting that if past seasons are any indication. Mathieu got the nod over him whenever he was healthy more or less by default just by virtue of being the shiny new signing and Vermaelen is likely to be much the same.

JamDav1982

Why would you rather he stay? We already have four CBs who are better than him, right? I remember us discussing this in detail. We still haven't gotten those matching rings, either.

Not every player needs to be a starter. 3rd choice is something that can be strived for, however. Bartra has no real chance of getting that if past seasons are any indication. Mathieu got the nod over him whenever he was healthy more or less by default just by virtue of being the shiny new signing and Vermaelen is likely to be much the same.

Dont think there are four CBs ahead of him.

I would have Barta as first back up to Pique.

Zangash

Banned
?
Surely Mathieu>Bartra in terms of quality.

Not at all, really. Mathieu gets to play a lot more and erase memories of his poor performances but that doesn't necessarily mean he's of a higher quality.

Not to mention he's old as hell and is killing his lungs with smoke.

reDIOS10

Not at all, really. Mathieu gets to play a lot more and erase memories of his poor performances but that doesn't necessarily mean he's of a higher quality.

Not to mention he's old as hell and is killing his lungs with smoke.

and i always get a little nervous when the ball gets close to Mathieu. He always seems flat-footed to me.

Truthist

Whenever I see Batra play he is a class act, I just get the feeling we don't trust our youngsters anymore.

I would have him in the starting lineup ahead of Mascherano, Mathieu and Vermaelen but it's obvious that's never going to happen. If I was him, I would consider doing a Thiago and Montoya and leave because no matter how well well he plays in the sporadic games he gets he just isn't an automatic choice.

Truly baffles and annoys me, really.

Richard.H

It's really hard to give good balance to all the CB's. I mean, most of you do realize Mathieu scored 2 immense goals that led to our title win? (one against Celta and the other against RM). Without those 2 goals you could kiss the treble goodbye.

Bartra is a great player though. I want him so badly to get more playing time but I understand Lucho's decision also.

Alik

We never know how Vermaelen might turn out this season, but I would also Bartra to be ahead of Mathieu in the pecking order.

I mean, most of you do realize Mathieu scored 2 immense goals that led to our title win?

Yeah, I realize that. It one of the best things about his season. Still, that shouldn't be used as a justification imo. Otherwise Mathieu should be starting ahead of everyone.

Last edited:

Richard.H

We never know how Vermaelen might turn out this season, but I would also Bartra to be ahead of Mathieu in the pecking order.

Yeah, I realize that. It one of the best things about his season. Still, that shouldn't be used as a justification imo. Otherwise Mathieu should be starting ahead of everyone.

No, not at all, but it's very hard to make an argument that Bartra is a better player than Mathieu. Both are about equal for me. They both bring great qualities to the team.

Darko

The only thing Bartra has on Mathieu is passing, technique and those ball playing skills, Mathieu is a better defender surely. When were these poor performances by Mathieu you talk about, when Lucho played him at LB for the first time in a Classico?
If anyone has defensive lapses of concentration it's Bartra, with the limited playing time he had he made more defensive mistakes then Mathieu made the whole season.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
The only thing Bartra has on Mathieu is passing, technique and those ball playing skills, Mathieu is a better defender surely. When were these poor performances by Mathieu you talk about, when Lucho played him at LB for the first time in a Classico?
If anyone has defensive lapses of concentration it's Bartra, with the limited playing time he had he made more defensive mistakes then Mathieu made the whole season.

Not at all.
Mathieu's only advantage over Bartra is his physique imo. Meaning he is faster and stronger but apart from that I rate Bartra higher in every aspect.
Better on the ball, better positioning, better reading of the game in general and they are equally dangerous on set pieces. Mathieu scored 2 important goals for us and I am glad he did but those goals does not make him a better defender.
It is also not noticeable that Mathieu is an experienced player. Compare him to other defenders his age who solve situations because they simply know what will happen. Mathieu reacts all the time, he is not really able to foresee plays.

Galning

Signing both Mathieu and Vermaelen was Bartra's end. There's no football team in the world that can give five centre backs enough playing time.

Stric

His only hope is to be Pique's direct backup, but I don't think Lucho sees it that way. And even if that was the case, that's still very few minutes.

Home of Barca Fans