Marco Reus

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Kloppo on Reus' leaving the ball for Lewa to shoot:
I've told Marco that he has earned a place in heaven for that, I've never seen anything like it. Usually, when the ball comes like that, you give it all you've got to blast it in, yet he just let it through to Lewi. It's crazy.

:worthy:
Right he is, that was absolutely exquisite. Outstanding performance on Saturday.
In my eyes, he's the best German player in the Bundesliga, maybe even best German player along with Özil. I fell in love with him when he played for Mönchengladbach, but like him even more now than he's in Dortmund of course. It's impressive that he ditched both Bayern and Real to play for and stay at Dortmund. All players growing up in that area (Özil, Neuer) seem to leave for bigger clubs as soon as they have the chance, which has been a problem for clubs like Dortmund, Schalke, Bochum etc. It's not surprising, because those are not attractive places to live in (especially if you've grown up there), and those clubs normally don't get much recognition. But Reus shows it can be worth it. Just classy.

Klopp, in my eyes, is the best coach in the world right now, for what he did both with Mainz and Dortmund.
Mainz: Brought them back to the first league.
Dortmund: Turned a mediocre side that were struggling to reach the 12th place in the Bundesliga into a world-class side that oozes young talent, wins two consecutive lead titles, a domestic double and reaches the UCL final. And all that considering that Dortmund was nearly bankrupt a few years ago.
So Klopp has proven himself at two different clubs and both of the times created something truly great from scratch, without having funds nor great players like Messi etc at his disposal. And he hasn't changed a bit in all these years. He's still practically the same he was 10 years ago, passionate, a bit crazy, outspoken and with a sense of humour. But that's personal taste.

As for Dortmund, they are currently stronger than Bayern. They don't have the depth Bayern has, so we will see if they can keep it up, but right now, they're better. The thing with Dortmund is, they can beat anyone when they're motivated. They have this David versus Goliath mentality. They will never have the best players in the world, or the quality squad Real has, simply because they don't have the financial means. But they don't really need to, either, to beat those teams. We have seen it with Real. So are they better than Real and Barca? It doesn't matter. They certainly can beat them, though (emphasis on can). (Plus, as someone said, it's mostly Messi and a few others that keeps Barca in the top 3 constantly - tactics-wise we certainly weren't in the top 3 last season).

Having said that, I must admit Dortmund was the club of my childhood and my absolute favourite until I got interested in Barca. That's why I might sound a little biased. But seeing them flourish and being considered among the best even by Non-Dortmund fans makes me very happy. :wub:

Last edited:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
haha, Suckabov, nice to know you grew up as a BVB fan!

I agree with almost everything you said (especially about Klopp being the best manager in the world right now) except the part about BVB being a better team than Bayern currently. It pains me to say it, but in my opinion Bayern is still better than BVB and other clubs (including us) right now. The pains Bayern is experiencing right now is the growing pains with a new manager and new tactics they have to get used to, plus injuries, coupled with the extremely high expectations from everyone after a treble-winning season. Bayern is much more balanced than BVB and others (including us), watching them play has become so predictable and a bit boring, like us in the last 4 years: It is just a matter of time that they score goals, they will win in the end. They might struggle here and there, but there isn't anything that stands out as a glowing weakness with them. With BVB, there isn't this kind of predictability because BVB doesn't have the consistency that Bayern has (I certainly hope and pray that I am wrong), and I maintain that BVB's defense can be caught off guard quite often (not as bad as our defense, but...).

Bayern is inarguably the best team in the world right now, IMO.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
IF they unleash the beast that their potential holds, yes. Right now, their performance doesn't impress me at all, be it because it's a transition period or because Pep's tactics don't work (yet). Depth-wise and poential-wise, no question - there isn't really any competition for them, in the Bundesliga at least. But performance-wise, I like BVB better currently. That attack is just mouth-watering. :wub:
Plus, in direct comparison, BVB have rarely struggled against Bayern (not considering the second half of the UCL final :angry:); Kloppo usually finds Bayern's weak point and makes enough use of that to get a draw or even win.
Anyway... to sum it up, before the season started, I was convinced winning the Bundesliga would be a walk in the park for Bayern. Now, I think it might be even harder than last year for them, seeing that Dortmund hasn't dropped any points so far (as they did last year) and seems a bit stronger overall. Or that's just my positive thinking. But I prefer to hold on to Dortmund being top of the table and collect some hope from that.

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Didn't see the match, what happened to Klopp ? I heard that Benitez screwed him tactically .

Mostly bad luck (one man down during the 1-0, red card for Weidenfeller, Klopp banned, Hummels out injured, Gündogan still not playing). It was not like Napoli overran them, even though Dortmund was one man down in the second half...

Before all this happened, Napoli played good tactically, but not dramatically better than Dortmund at all.

Last edited:

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
Yeah...it was expected. He played in the might EPL after all =/.
Reus is still a beast though. Drives my mid field along with Mkhitaryan :D

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Would love to see him at Barcelona on RW possibly, when Alexis leaves after this season (not unlikely). Won't happen, but fantasising doesn't hurt :pep:

Butaan4barca

Trade Alexis & Pedro for him and bring Deulofeu back

No. Alexis and pedro are super talent. If you give any of them to mourinho he would laugh at you and happily give you mata in return. And this would be remembered as worst deal than eto and ibrahovich swap ? why ? for almost the same reason.

Reality Check, We have 1. Messi 2. Neymar 3. Iniesta : all players who you definetely won't like to give orders to defend. Yes do that right upfront but you don't want them to track back very often. Who does the tracking back offensive wing back work? Pedro or alexis. Who are Super energetic, work alcholics who just run their ars off every single minute on the pitch.
Now consider reus and deulofeu. One arguably the most delighted german to watch along with ozil. Another a super raw star, work in progress. SO i will leave out deulofue for now.

So assume, Neymar, Messi, reus, iniesta in one team. Facing the likes of lahm, boteng, anybody, alba.
Now if our four defenders are busy against byern four. That leaves 6-6. The four i listed against the four byern players i listed don't have a chance when defending and tracking back. Which give a free walk in the part to lahm and alaba.

Its simple math. four of our players can't defend. Four of our defenders busy against four attackers. That leaves 2 of our midfielders against 6 free flowing byern midfielders to attack the goal from mid and defense. Well thats exactly what happened Last year. We failed as a unit, cz we didn't had the stamina and strength to match byern athletism, especially when tracking back. It will be same against teams like chelsea, ream madrid. dortmund. Teams who have a great defensive
unit as well as attacking unit.

It was basically pep creation. When he transformed alvez into a monster. besides all the other. He said in one of his first few press appearance,

i don't remember the exact words, but something like. We are a pack of wolves, defenders who attack, attackers who defend.

IMO,Its about the balance. Having four world class strickers would be like too many cooks spoiling everything . that is why alexis and pedro are so important. They give so much to the team. even with those runs messi, and neymar make. Alexis is always in a tactically good position to receive passes, hence distracting defenders. Similarly pedro shakes the defense pretty well. He is such a roamer. he moves a lot.
they both go unsung off the pitch. But they are extremely great players. That is why i have said it so many times on this forumn. We no doubt have the best strike force in the world, better than the groups of madrids,chelsea, man city, byern, dortmund, psg has. We have the best.

If these two players were not good. They would've been long gone. And this is the biggest supporting argument in their favor: they are still here.

Last edited:

Cule4life

The Culest
Why not play them in defense instead of the four defenders who can't defend. Better why not get better defenders and wingers worthy of barca

suckabov

Lemon curry?
Would love to see him at Barcelona on RW possibly, when Alexis leaves after this season (not unlikely). Won't happen, but fantasising doesn't hurt :pep:

I'm dreaming about it too :worthy: And the fact that Reus likes Barca doesn't exactly make it better.

Co0ter

Any player can press, look at what David Villa did for us on the LW, and Neymar is doing that for us now. Pedro runs around a lot but he sucks at winning the ball back. Alexis is another story, great presser but he's actually good at getting the ball back. Keeping a player for pressing isnt realistic imo, Reus would agree to press too, just like Villa did and Neymar does- except he's twice the player Alexis is. I just expect so much more from him, he's improved from a 3/10 to a 5-6/10...it's just not good enough.

Home of Barca Fans