Marco Verratti

Hamzah

High Definition Member
thing is, we already have rakitic. not an essential signing. we need a player in the iniesta mould.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
thing is, we already have rakitic. not an essential signing. we need a player in the iniesta mould.

That's a bit of a static positional view of our midfield. You can't pin Rakitic as the purely conservative midfielder while Iniesta was the attacking counterpart when there equally many if not more scenarios where Rakitic took on an attacking role. It can't be vice versa either as Rakitic was the more defensive player while Iniesta had more freedom from defensive duties.

The true 'structure' of our midfield isn't a dumbed down "AM-DM-CM" trio. It's having a variety of duties and roles covered well in a cohesive unit. I find Rakitic to be indispensable in this system. He covers a lot of the off the ball running work, support play, defensive duties, etc. The other role left to fill is a playmaker who knows how to find/create space and give us more control of the ball. Verratti has the amazing dribbling instincts and vision to do so in whatever area (deep close to Busquets or in attacking plays). Plus, he's clearly a more than capable player defensively (he kept expertly dispossessing our players, namely Messi, when we played PSG in the knockouts). He is, in practically all truly important aspects, the *best* option for a midfield transfer we could possibly have.

Of course, I acknowledge that it's simply not going to happen anytime soon, if at all. No point in actually hoping that we get him.

Bran the Greenseer

I agree with [MENTION=12906]DonAndres[/MENTION] our midfield this season was more like the midfield of 2010 where it wasn't really just AM-DM-CM but it was just a cohesive unit where everyone just clicked and played great football so just like in 2010 when Xavi played CF half the time Rakitic was there all the time Iniesta was running past players but stealing balls away form players in our box.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Either Bartomeu or Laporta will become our next President. PSG hate Bartomeu and his board for trying to make Thiago Silva and Marquinhos to force their way our and Laporta has pissed all over our ties with Qatar so you can forget anything then.

I think we'd be the last team they'd sell to, if they ever decide to do so.

Darko

Pogba gets all the headlines but Verratti is the true future best midfielder in the world, I'd give 100M for him in a heartbeat.

Home of Barca Fans