Marco Verratti

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
You are on. I cant lose either way. But how long will this bet last?

Verratti's entire career. If I win, you change your name permanently to sissygirl. If I lose, you get to keep your username.

Will Verratti reach the level of Xavi or Pirlo?

That's a really tough question to answer. Namely because I'm fairly sure that Verratti will surely never have a career that reaches the caliber of Xavi/Pirlo. Xavi had incredible success with the best club and NT of all time while Pirlo himself has a trophy cabinet that most players would kill for, both of them holding numerous league titles as well as CL/WC victories. Verratti simply can't stack up to that if he's intent on spending a bulk of his career at PSG in Ligue 1, not to mention that his NT has declined and probably won't win any tournaments for the foreseeable future.

This means that even if he were to reach their level footballing-wise (which isn't out of the question), he wouldn't have the challenges or big stage opportunities to truly showcase that and prove it in any 'historical' way the way legends usually do. He'll have awesome individual campaigns in France and show his class in the CL (he already has) but I dunno if he'll have the chance to show his best in one CL final let alone multiple finals.

To compare Verratti to true legends like Xavi/Pirlo, you have to compare their legacy which really works against him. As a footballer, he's truly special though.

DrPepper

Whoa.

Calm down there.

Why?

I rate Pirlo during Ancelotti's Milan era a lot more than the Pirlo that was hyped by British media since his performance plus Panenka penalty against England in the Euros. And as silly as it sounds, his beard gave him a strange cult following as well. Feels as if the average football viewer didn't know him before. Overrated since but (vastly) underrated before.

Obviously I'm talking from an individual perspective here. Verratti will probably not win as many high-reputation trophies as Pirlo unless he moves away from PSG at some time.

F

Flavia

Verratti's entire career. If I win, you change your name permanently to sissygirl. If I lose, you get to keep your username.

That's a long bet, you guys should bet something for a season. And you should change your name to DonAspas if you lose :p

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Why?

I rate Pirlo during Ancelotti's Milan era a lot more than the Pirlo that was hyped by British media since his performance plus Panenka penalty against England in the Euros. And as silly as it sounds, his beard gave him a strange cult following as well. Feels as if the average football viewer didn't know him before. Overrated since but (vastly) underrated before.

Obviously I'm talking from an individual perspective here. Verratti will probably not win as many high-reputation trophies as Pirlo unless he moves away from PSG at some time.

Because we're talking about legendary midfielders who played at a high level consistently. Verratti is just starting his career and while he had a fantastic season with PSG, he has a long way to go.

Darko

He had a fantastic season last year too, he was voted Ligue 1's best young player, similar to a 20 year old Xavi being voted breakthrough player of La Liga. So yeah he has a long way to go but he's on the right path surely.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Saying Verratti is on the same level as Pirlo is like saying Samper is almost better than Zidane.

There's a reason why Pirlo is considered being a legend. Verratti is still a kid

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He had a fantastic season last year too, he was voted Ligue 1's best young player, similar to a 20 year old Xavi being voted breakthrough player of La Liga. So yeah he has a long way to go but he's on the right path surely.

Verratti's been a boss since his PSG debut.

I agree he's on the right path. Point being, he got a lot of football left. He's still very young and in the start of his career.

EdmondDantes

He will match both, it may sound blasphemous but he is that talented. He has been a very integral part in PSG's success already. His trophy haul is gonna be something to behold, maybe not Xavi-esque but it will be impressive nonetheless.

Ini8

¡Gr?*cies Xavi!
The talent is obviously there. Only time will tell whether he will sustain it and reach the same level of greatness or fail to deliver. My money's on the former.

Yea. I've been spamming this but that kind of talent never goes away. Incredibly effective skills. All else equal, he's also much better than 22 year old Zidane or Xavi or Pirlo, and better than 22 year old Iniesta.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Sadly we will only get this guy if he leaves for PSG for another club soon. If we ever buy a player from PSG when Nasser is in the charge then I will do a sex reassignment surgery.

Icarium

Lifestealer
His agent said he talked to freixa on phone. But he also said it doesn't mean anything as verratti is happy at psg and anyone who wants to sign him should directly talk to psg.

Home of Barca Fans