Marquinhos

Acer

these stats for defenders prove almost nothing especially for people who play in different leagues and in different situations.
Based on those stats there are a lot of goalkeepers better than Neur(who has always been overrated, but this is another history).
The most indicative way for a correct evaluation are the big games and Marquinhos has always been excellent. His games against City and Chelsea were both amazing.

He is "just" 1.83 well Puyol was even lower, and piss on his head of overrated pachyderms such as Hummels and Boateng. The best defenders in history of football are around 1.80. Very few great defenders around 1.90. The physical it's important but to know to use it is even more important and however against the attackers of today(who most of the time are quick and fast) i prefer to have players like marcos rather than pachyderms that could end with their face to the ground as Boateng last year.

Last edited:

Lutece FC

Marquinhos plays on a team which always dominates its opposant except vs Barca... This is the reason why his stats are less impressive. Stats are nothing in football. See the stats of Atletico vs Bayern and the final result.

Marquinhos is far better than Laporte and co...

More interesting, FF best young players team (U23) :

1462113943-13096187-10153417270781246-7473566195684158313-n.jpg

Varane in this team is strange ... but for the rest i'm ok.

Yannik

How can you compare Cb who all play in 5 different teams with stats.

Percentages. If you're having a 44% tackling rate, then that means you lost more tackles than you won them.

The best defenders in history of football are around 1.80.

No they are not, they are at all differenz sizes and statures, averaging at around 1.85m. Some above 1.90m some below 1.80m. But they all had their qualities, raw defenders, with great tackling, marking and game reading skills. Something that Marquinhos has not yet shown, and his physics are atrocious, Again loosing every second header and more than every 2nd tackle is gonna cost your team. Maybe that's why he can't pass David Luiz. You wanna put Puyol into it? Compare Puyol's shape with a light weight like Marquinhos, Puyol was a lion of a man, he had shown his aerial ability on several occasions.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Percentages. If you're having a 44% tackling rate, then that means you lost more tackles than you won them.

No they are not, they are at all differenz sizes and statures, averaging at around 1.85m. Some above 1.90m some below 1.80m. But they all had their qualities, raw defenders, with great tackling, marking and game reading skills. Something that Marquinhos has not yet shown, and his physics are atrocious, Again loosing every second header and more than every 2nd tackle is gonna cost your team. Maybe that's why he can't pass David Luiz. You wanna put Puyol into it? Compare Puyol's shape with a light weight like Marquinhos, Puyol was a lion of a man, he had shown his aerial ability on several occasions.

The 3 defenders who won the Ballon D'or are Cannavaro (1.76) ,Beckenbauer (1.81) & Matthias Sammer (1.8) .there was many other whe were an inch or two shorter than this 1.85 . Baresi (1.8) ,Puyol (1.78) & Ayala (1.76)
Height has became more of an issue recently for defenders ,but for past generations I would say it wasn't .from all the names I mentioned non were born in the 80's . I am one of those who actually prefers defenders with height
But I agree with some of your point ,while I hate using stats .losing a lot of aerials is an issue
Doesn't matter anyway ,we won't get him :lol:

Acer

I find it funny that you mention the stats when you are comfortable, but at the same time when the statistics show that Bellarabi is a better dribbler than Costa, you say that the statistics mean nothing.

The best defenders in history are around 1.80 or less there are not pachiderms of 1.90 between the best defenders in history.

"Puyol was a lion of a man, he had shown his aerial ability on several occasions" but the stats where are the stats? I don't know how you can said that without stats. With the same logic (your logic) i can say the same about Marcos. Puyol was a lyon ok but this has nothing to do with the size. You say Marquinhos is not good because is not very tall, with the same logic is not even Puyol.

The truth, is that you rarely have seen Marquinhos play.

you should start from this match

Jombi

Umtiti is better than Marquinhos, but more importantly, he is available.

Edit: I had a look at the same stats from Squawka that were used here, and Umtiti absolutely demolishes all of these players.

Last edited:

Yannik

I find it funny that you mention the stats when you are comfortable, but at the same time when the statistics show that Bellarabi is a better dribbler than Costa

It gets even funnier when statistics do not even show that Bellarabi is a better dribbler than Douglas Costa.

Maldini, Stam, Adams, Blanc, Thuram, Nesta, Figueroa, Bergomi, Facchetti and others were all between 1.85m and 1.95m. Puyols case is pretty clear, stats are not needed to know that Puyol is basically manhandling Marquinhos in the physical department. But yes, if you want them, here they are. Marquinhos running 15/16 campaign vs Puyols retirement season. Puyol was 5cm smaller than Marquinhos, yet brought more weight with him in the form of muscles. Also having a lower center of gravity and legs like tree trunks, very hard to push this guy off his feet. Size matters, but it's also about how you use it. Puyol and any legendary defender you come up with used their size nd weight at a much more useful way than marquinhos uses his.

Last edited:

Butaan4barca

Marquinhos plays on a team which always dominates its opposant except vs Barca... This is the reason why his stats are less impressive. Stats are nothing in football. See the stats of Atletico vs Bayern and the final result.

Marquinhos is far better than Laporte and co...

More interesting, FF best young players team (U23) :

1462113943-13096187-10153417270781246-7473566195684158313-n.jpg

Varane in this team is strange ... but for the rest i'm ok.

varane is deservingly there, shockingly morrata is not.

Last edited:

GoGGi

Umtiti is better than Marquinhos, but more importantly, he is available.

Edit: I had a look at the same stats from Squawka that were used here, and Umtiti absolutely demolishes all of these players.
not Mustafi ;) still think that Mustafi is best choice for Barca.

Jombi

not Mustafi ;) still think that Mustafi is best choice for Barca.

Mustafi and Umtiti would be the best choices I agree. Umtiti is better at bringing the ball out from defense though, something our coaches always value a lot.

Acer

It gets even funnier when statistics do not even show that Bellarabi is a better dribbler than Douglas Costa.

Maldini, Stam, Adams, Blanc, Thuram, Nesta, Figueroa, Bergomi, Facchetti and others were all between 1.85m and 1.95m. Puyols case is pretty clear, stats are not needed to know that Puyol is basically manhandling Marquinhos in the physical department. But yes, if you want them, here they are. Marquinhos running 15/16 campaign vs Puyols retirement season. Puyol was 5cm smaller than Marquinhos, yet brought more weight with him in the form of muscles. Also having a lower center of gravity and legs like tree trunks, very hard to push this guy off his feet. Size matters, but it's also about how you use it. Puyol and any legendary defender you come up with used their size nd weight at a much more useful way than marquinhos uses his.
In that moment he was the better dribbler based on stats. That right now things have changed show only that statistics are irrilevant if not interpreted in the right way.
But you were not the one who wrote this?
Statistically it's the wrong way to go in most cases, last season the msot completed dribbles in Bundesliga have been completed by Bellarabi, wouldn't exactly call him worldclass though.
But how, is now the right way? You like turning the omelette as it suits you. You are really contradictory.... and pathetic.

You also said that Lucas is not a better dribbler than Douglas because he has beated more men based on stats, but based on the same stats that you like so much(when it suits you) Lucas Moura now is the better dribbler..You said the same thing about Pogba, but it seems that Pogba is again a better dribbler than Costa. Both are for any people who has eyes, statistics are not required Costa is much more a runner than a dribbler.
[youtube]UE2ufowzfRE[/youtube]
3:33

About Puyol you can see that a Puyol in decline has better stats in those duels than Godin. So we conclude that a Puyol finished beats Godin in the peak of his carrer, based on stats.
However I don't know how you can compare a player who has played 966 minutes (puyol) with a player who has played 26 games, but I think this is part of your contradiction, when people are limited in arguments become contradictory.

Adam who?
Stam has never been one the best defenders in history.
Maldini was a LB, Facchetti even. However Maldini was 1.86, 3 cm taller than Marcos, Thuram 1.85, 2 cm taller than Marcos, Bergomi 1.85, Figueroa 1.86. Oh fuck what a big differenze if Marquinhos grow his hair can get to their height and become one of the best in the world. And again we can conclude that Stam was a better defender than Beckenbauer. And guess the best defender in the world is Thiago Silva and how tall is? At least on this we concord, even stats say that he is the best https://www.whoscored.com/.... or this time your thinking this: "Statistically it's the wrong way to go in most cases"? let me know before the next time, I'm confused

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans