Marquinhos

Egert

Estonian Culé
Marquinhos (PSG): "Would I like to join Barça? Barcelona is a great city, Barça are a great club. We'll wait and see what PSG think." [tv3]

It seems HE would like to join, but now it is only between team Zubi and Nasser.

Kohe321

Every game Pique and Marquinhos start, Bartra will sit on the bench with a huge frown on his face. With good reason. Marquinhos is younger, not from La Masia, and not really that much better (if at all)? This just seems desperate from us.

Hummels and Pique would work a lot better for everyone involved, as Hummels would be a natural starter over Bartra.

Last edited:

Every game Pique and Marquinhos start, Bartra will sit on the bench .

with 70games per season u need 3 CB's (maybe 4)

Pique, marquinhos, bartra, masche and maybe some young masia kid would be ideal. a new guy and montoya on the right, Alba and adriano on the left.
case closed

Kohe321

with 70games per season u need 3 CB's (maybe 4)

Pique, marquinhos, bartra, masche and maybe some young masia kid would be ideal. a new guy and montoya on the right, Alba and adriano on the left.
case closed

Well, I'm not saying we don't need more CBs do I? All I'm saying is that signing a young player like Marquinhos, who it's not at all clear is even better than Bartra, only creates conflict in the group. His cost would mean he would start a lot of games, knocking Bartra back several steps in rank and progression.

Signing Hummels + Mathieu would work better. In fact, Hummels alone would be okay. If we have Mascherano at midfield, he could could cover as the fourth CB in the very rare occasion where it's needed, the rest of the season could mainly be rotated between Pique, Hummels and Bartra. Add Mathieu as the 4th choice and the CB position would be very well covered.

Last edited:

Kohe321

Kind of the same issue there with signing a 19 year old player for near 40m. He would almost have to be a starter, and Bartra would only play a few (unimportant) games throughout the season, unless there's a new long-term injury.

If it is between Marquinhos and Laporte, I'd take Laporte simply because I wouldn't want to negotiate with the clowns at PSG.

Edit: Oh wait, Laporte just turned 20.

Last edited:
IMO, both are potential world class CB; so deciding which one to buy (assuming both are available) should depend on who would be a better fit to our playing style.

And who would be easier to get. For Laporte, we pay the buyout clause and it's done. We might not be able to get Marquinhos because it's PSG we're talking about. If we do get him, he'd cost about as much as Laporte.

If we want Marquinhos, the good news is he seems to want to join Barca. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Thiago Silva if we pursue him.

Alarcón

The rule in Spain is that the player has to deposit the buy-out clause himself.

That means that clubs somehow have to get the money to the player who wants to leave and every way of doing this involves income tax, which amounts to around 50% in Spain (and most countries in Europe for that matter).

So logically, the actual amount the clubs would have to pay would be about twice the buy-out clause, however, I've seen various newspapers mention a figure that is 75% higher than the buy-out clause, which would be 63m in Laporte's case.

Lately, clubs have found a way to somehow bypass this (e.g. Bayern who supposedly didn't pay any kind of tax for Martinez) but I'm not sure how they do it or whether it's completely legal. Maybe they just lie about it and don't disclose the actual figure which seems to be en vogue nowadays.

That said, I don't see Zubi coming up with such a sneaky attempt at buying Laporte because he has a long history with Bilbao and is still very fond of the club, judging from comments he's constantly making.

So for now, the only reference we have is newspapers and Spanish law and both suggest that Laporte's eventual fee wouldn't be below 60m.

Well, I'm not saying we don't need more CBs do I? All I'm saying is that signing a young player like Marquinhos, who it's not at all clear is even better than Bartra, only creates conflict in the group. .
Pique is numero uno and I don't think Lucho will only look at the prize tag.
Nice competition between the new guy and Bartra. Barca's locker room should be able to cope with that

Home of Barca Fans