Marquinhos

Bertus

Here it is
BARCA: no agreement about Marquinhos

Contacted by RMC, a source close to PSG said to us "that PSG didn't find any agreement with Barcelona about a transfer of Marquinhos or Alves". From the informations we got, Barcelona sent an offer around 25M euros + Dani Alves. But PSG is the problem. Dani Alves wants to sign to PSG and David Luiz arrival to PSG is worrying marquinhos.

Both players kind of like the idea of such an agreement. However, given our informations, PSG president Nasser Al Khelaifi is currently against it and yet doesn't want to part with the young promising brazilian player that arrived last season. More meetings [between the clubs] are planned in the coming days.

Last edited:
I

instinct

Thanks :) wouldn't be good. I can imagine that Nasser is a very good negotiator and will probably ask for an insane amount and considering our desperation we have to overpay then..

Bertus

So, to me it sounds like :

- Sport gets ahead of themselves and heard about Barca's offer and published that PSG accepted it without actually knowing if PSG did or not.

- It confirms what i thought till now, Marquinhos is not against joining Barcelona (well TS seemed to not be against it either last summer tho. Saying he always liked the idea to play with Barca and such, but still)

- Nasser wants Alves but he would prefer to not include Marquinhos in the deal, but Barcelona only wants to swap him with Marquinhos.

- Nasser is against a transfer of Marquinhos (we knew that already, i posted a news about it before RG started)

Dunno how it will end, really. But I still think Nasser will not force Marquinhos to stay if the player really is against the idea of staying at PSG (which no one is sure, but what we know is that HE IS interested by Barcelona offer)

Bertus

Thanks :) wouldn't be good. I can imagine that Nasser is a very good negotiator and will probably ask for an insane amount and considering our desperation we have to overpay then..
A good negociator that got ***** by Chelsea about paying 60M for a pack of funny hair :messi:

I think he just refuses to sell marquinhos because he said many times he recruits young players that would be the stars of PSG in a few years (verratti, marquinhos, etc.)

But he can't force a player to stay. Either he finds a way to change Marcos' mind, or he will have to sell him to Barcelona.

I

instinct

:lol: The Luiz transfer didn't come to my mind while I wrote this. I take everything back :xavi:

zanela

But he can't force a player to stay. Either he finds a way to change Marcos' mind, or he will have to sell him to Barcelona.

He's under contractual obligation. See BVB-Lewa. And since when did Nasser start ceding to player demands?

He's under contractual obligation. See BVB-Lewa. And since when did Nasser start ceding to player demands?
Yes, and he can force Marcos to abide by the contract that was signed, but it makes sense for Nasser to go with the deal, albeit at the best price he can get.

Nasser has a player (Marcos) who has the potential to become a world class CB, but he's not there yet, and he's not going to get there if he can't get enough play time. But with Luiz in the fold he's more likely to spend more time warming the bench than sweating on the field. So as things stand Nasser has just spent 35M on a backup CB who for now is just not good enough.

So it makes sense from Nasser's perspective to do the deal since he gets a player that he supposedly wants (Alves) and recoups part of his investment on a player that he no longer needs; and it certainly makes sense from Marcos' perspective to push for it since he's very likely to be a starter at Barca from the get go.

Last edited:

zanela

Yes, and he can force Marcos to abide by the contract that was signed, but it makes sense for Nasser to go with the deal, albeit at the best price he can get.

Nasser has a player (Marcos) who has the potential to become a world class CB, but he's not there yet, and he's not going to get there if he can't get enough play time. But with Luiz in the fold he's more likely to spend more time warming the bench than sweating on the field. So as things stand Nasser has just spent 35M on a backup CB who for now is just not good enough.

So it makes sense from Nasser's perspective to do the deal since he gets a player that he supposedly wants (Alves) and recoups part of his investment on a player that he no longer needs; and it certainly makes sense from Marcos' perspective to push for it since he's very likely to be a starter at Barca from the get go.

Sorry, not convinced.

It doesn't make sense to let go of a highly rated young CB, when one of your 2 starters is 30y.o injury prone, and the other error prone. He'll see enough game time that will facilitate his development, without the pressure of being a starter. By keeping him, not only do PSG retain quality depth, but also a future replacement for T.S, without needing to dip in to the market in a few years.
And if you say that Marcos atm is not good enough for PSG, how is he good enough for Barca then? A club vying for all the available titles have to take in to account both short and long term. So having a 20.yr as an understudy makes more sense. Just like I'd prefer to see him at Barca, as an immediate back-up to a more estd CB, and have him gradually take over.

Egert

Estonian Culé
Sorry, not convinced.

It doesn't make sense to let go of a highly rated young CB, when one of your 2 starters is 30y.o injury prone, and the other error prone. He'll see enough game time that will facilitate his development, without the pressure of being a starter. By keeping him, not only do PSG retain quality depth, but also a future replacement for T.S, without needing to dip in to the market in a few years.
And if you say that Marcos atm is not good enough for PSG, how is he good enough for Barca then? A club vying for all the available titles have to take in to account both short and long term. So having a 20.yr as an understudy makes more sense. Just like I'd prefer to see him at Barca, as an immediate back-up to a more estd CB, and have him gradually take over.

Easy answer: We just can't buy better players than him right now and he is good enough for us.

zanela

Easy answer: We just can't buy better players than him right now and he is good enough for us.

We can't buy because we don't want to. Rosell's disciples seem to only rate Brazilian defenders, just like their master. A bid close to 40M (=25+Alves, which is our rumoured bid for Marcos, one which can go up in the future) will get us a quality defender, if we tried.

Xavinho

If Marquinhos is concerned about playing time I can't see why he'd want to swap PSG for Barca.

At PSG he'll be competing for minutes with a somewhat injury-prone 30-year-old, and a 27-year-old brand new signing who at his last club was deemed enough of a liability in defence that he was shunted up into midfield.

Meanwhile at Barca he'd be looking to take time away from two local lads, one 27 and the other 23, who have both been at the club for years and are very familiar with the team's style of play.

He should also be able to end up on higher wages at PSG.

I wish we'd take a look at players along the lines of Dória or Schär. Younger players who show potential but aren't already at rich clubs.

Home of Barca Fans