Martin Braithwaite

khaled_a_d

He has blackmailed the club, refused to cooperate on a mutual solution, refused to listen to offers, and you say it's a good deal to give him what he wants despite all that???

7M saving to the club is a mutual solution mate.
The only offers we heard was a Saudi one, reported by sport iirc, and they are terrible source (and ss covered before, non in middle east confirmed or reported it). In other word it was a made up offer by the journalist.
The other one is Mallorca, and it was reported less than a week and now we are negotiating with him.

The club and the player aren't at fault here, they are both just working for their own interests which is different.

Club tried to fully get rid of his wage, he called their bluff, time to do the reasonable thing and cut our losses.

Birdy

7M saving to the club is a mutual solution mate.
The only offers we heard was a Saudi one, reported by sport iirc, and they are terrible source (and ss covered before, non in middle east confirmed or reported it). In other word it was a made up offer by the journalist.
The other one is Mallorca, and it was reported less than a week and now we are negotiating with him.

The club and the player aren't at fault here, they are both just working for their own interests which is different.

Club tried to fully get rid of his wage, he called their bluff, time to do the reasonable thing and cut our losses.

3M gross savings, even according to your optimistic calculation, not 7m!

If that 3m helps us register someone the last day of the window, then I would halfheartedly agree to it.
If NOT, then it makes 0 sense to cave in to what he wants...

khaled_a_d

3M gross savings, even according to your optimistic calculation, not 7m!

If that 3m helps us register someone the last day of the window, then I would halfheartedly agree to it.
If NOT, then it makes 0 sense to cave in to what he wants...

3M if he asks for 5M net.
I am more inclined he is asking for 5M gross, so 7M saving

Joan

It's far better if we pay him back in the only form that can hurt him.
Let him be on his contract, stands, individual training.
He will never play again for Denmark, everyone will forget his existence

Don't think there's a point in making an example out of Braithwaite. He shouldn't be here to begin with and you can hardly hurt him with the kind of contract he's got.

What's the lesson to future players who find themselves in a similar spot? We'll make your life hell if you don't adapt but only if you're a total bum? Most players of Martin's quality in similar situation have next to nothing to lose. If let for free, he won't be able to earn what's guaranteed in the reminder of his career. As odd as it is, Martin has an upper hand and he knows it.

On the other hand, players who are actual quality won't suffer repercussions. Look at Dembele and even worse case in FDJ. There's no morale to the story as clubs are dealt bad hand and players with quality can see right through their act. And the others? The others don't care.

Edit: I agree with Khaled. Looks like he wants us to pay a reminder of his salary. Wouldn't be a bad deal.

Last edited:

feggydinho

It's far better if we pay him back in the only form that can hurt him.
Let him be on his contract, stands, individual training.
He will never play again for Denmark, everyone will forget his existence

He featured in the 4 Nations league games Denmark had this June despite not featuring for barca at all in 2022, so there's a very high chance he still gets called up for world cup even if we don't play him. I still see him going on a similar loan to Umtiti where we pay part of his salary.

Birdy

Don't think there's a point in making an example out of Braithwaite. He shouldn't be here to begin with and you can hardly hurt him with the kind of contract he's got.

What's the lesson to future players who find themselves in a similar spot? We'll make your life hell if you don't adapt but only if you're a total bum? Most players of Martin's quality in similar situation have next to nothing to lose. If let for free, he won't be able to earn what's guaranteed in the reminder of his career. As odd as it is, Martin has an upper hand and he knows it.

On the other hand, players who are actual quality won't suffer repercussions. Look at Dembele and even worse case in FDJ. There's no morale to the story as clubs are dealt bad hand and players with quality can see right through their act. And the others? The others don't care.

Edit: I agree with Khaled. Looks like he wants us to pay a reminder of his salary. Wouldn't be a bad deal.

The lesson is 'don't fuck around with the club'
Players nowadays with their agents think they can do whatever the fuck they want

Of course, if we didn't have a bunch of imbeciles as our previous board, this would have never become an issue to begin with.
But now it is, and we must deal with it.

If you put in the balance: 3m gross saved (best case scenario. Khaled is bewilderingly optimistic to think he just wants 5m gross) with no direct effect on registering signing on the one hand,
OR
Him getting a lesson, and players in the future getting a message we are not a club to fuck with, on the other hand.
Which one would you pick?

No dilemma for me at all

ajnotkeith

Engaging in revenge acts against irrelevant benchwarmers is just a waste of time and petty. If he doesn't want to leave nothing we can do, just don't register him and call him up so he doesn't take a squad space + add salary to the cap.

feggydinho

Players nowadays with their agents think they can do whatever the fuck they want

Of course, if we didn't have a bunch of imbeciles as our previous board, this would have never become an issue to begin with.

If you put in the balance: 3m gross saved (best case scenario. Khaled is bewilderingly optimistic to think he just wants 5m gross) with no direct effect on registering signing on the one hand,
OR
Him getting a lesson, and players in the future getting a message we are not a club to fuck with, on the other hand.

No dilemma for me at all

It actually doesn't really do anything, Kevin Boateng would've behaved in a similar way to Braithwaite if he had a long contract.

The main party that needs to learn a lesson here is Barca, so they think critically before giving players contract cause they'll end up in the same situation if they make the same decisions again.

khaled_a_d

This is based on what?
I am open to be corrected here,but you are not supporting ypur argument at all.
The report says 5M,don't specify
I at least connected the dots: the 5M gross is the different between what he can get somewhere else and current salary.

You are basing your guess on...? Him being evil?

Birdy

This is based on what?
I am open to be corrected here,but you are not supporting ypur argument at all.
The report says 5M,don't specify
I at least connected the dots: the 5M gross is the different between what he can get somewhere else and current salary.

You are basing your guess on...? Him being evil?

Him being reported time and time again wanting his FULL salary until '24 when his contract expires.
That salary is 12m GROSS, until then...
Getting only 5m gross, means him losing more than 50% of what is owed to him.

Nah, too good to be true.
As I don't believe in mermaids and fairy tales, I don't believe Braithshit will suddenly become not greedy, after all those months of the same stance

Joan

OR

No dilemma for me at all

But players with their agents usually can do whatever they want because clubs rarely have leverage if players are on high wages.

If a player has quality and you have leverage against him (say, his NT career), you can't afford to bench him or put him in the stands. Look at Dembele and FDJ. If a player has no quality and is on high wages like Martin, he has nothing to lose.

Don't fuck with the club because you'll end up in the stands and won't play? He wouldn't play either way, he's aware of that. But he still gets his money so he doesn't care. It's a bad situation for clubs.

Financially strong clubs can afford to make a point because points can be made only on players like Dembele or FDJ. Barca isn't one of them atm.

Birdy

But players with their agents usually can do whatever they want because clubs rarely have leverage if players are on high wages.

If a player has quality and you have leverage against him (say, his NT career), you can't afford to bench him or put him in the stands. Look at Dembele and FDJ. If a player has no quality and is on high wages like Martin, he has nothing to lose.

Don't fuck with the club because you'll end up in the stands and won't play? He wouldn't play either way, he's aware of that. But he still gets his money so he doesn't care. It's a bad situation for clubs.

Financially strong clubs can afford to make a point because points can be made only on players like Dembele or FDJ. Barca isn't one of them atm.

He has something to lose:
1) playing for Denmark, which he had for granted until now
2) going to another club this season, while Bara paying his full contract or close to that amount (5m net)

Especially 2 is a red flag.
Under no circumstances, should the club facilitate him after his disgraceful stance

Joan

He has something to lose:
1) playing for Denmark, which he had for granted until now
2) going to another club this season, while Bara paying his full contract or close to that amount (5m net)

Especially 2 is a red flag.
Under no circumstances, should the club facilitate him after his disgraceful stance

That's fair.

I might argue (1) won't be affected. He wouldn't play either way and it'll be up to his NT coach whether he decides to call him or not. He's still entitled to train and Barca won't push it too far.

Regarding (2), we can hold a grudge, of course. I just don't think there's a message to be sent or point to be made here. If there was, I'd agree. But I value 3m (or 7m if Khaled is right) more than being mean to Martin, even if he deserves it.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Him being reported time and time again wanting his FULL salary until '24 when his contract expires.
That salary is 12m GROSS, until then...
Getting only 5m gross, means him losing more than 50% of what is owed to him.

Nah, too good to be true.
As I don't believe in mermaids and fairy tales, I don't believe Braithshit will suddenly become not greedy, after all those months of the same stance

I don't believe in fairy tails either, and that also makes me not believe in pure villain.

Braithwaite can't legally benefit financially from terminating his contract, this is a point you seem to forget.
He takes 12M tops in 2 season, tops, there is nothing he can do that makes him get more than that.
There was some stupid and crap report that he wants his money and then what he can get from other clubs, which is obviously false.

So, based on that, him getting 5M gross, and him getting his market value, he won't lose more than 1M. Nothing more. Maybe break even if some club is really interested in him outside of Liga (championship maybe?)

Or do you think he can't get more than 1,5M gross salary? seems far fetched.

delancey

I don't believe in fairy tails either, and that also makes me not believe in pure villain.

Braithwaite can't legally benefit financially from terminating his contract, this is a point you seem to forget.
He takes 12M tops in 2 season, tops, there is nothing he can do that makes him get more than that.
There was some stupid and crap report that he wants his money and then what he can get from other clubs, which is obviously false.

So, based on that, him getting 5M gross, and him getting his market value, he won't lose more than 1M. Nothing more. Maybe break even if some club is really interested in him outside of Liga (championship maybe?)

Or do you think he can't get more than 1,5M gross salary? seems far fetched.
Well how much was he earning at his previous club? That?s his market value.

Home of Barca Fans