Martin Montoya

Zangash

Banned
Montoya has played more than 90 minutes in his Barcelona career, moot point by you.

Yes he's getting a particularly raw deal this season, specially in light of the way Alves has been playing, but that he has gotten little playing time at Barca is part of why he's not special, not the reason why. If he were really good, he would have force the hand of not one, but three different managers.

Also, Barcelona certainly need a special talent at RB because they without a doubt need a starting RB for the present and future. That the RBs they have right now are underperforming to the point Montoya might be the best of the bunch doesn't change the fact they still need a better player for the position.

The two issues are separate:

Montoya is unfairly (at least to the eyes of us fans who don't know what goes on behind doors) not getting a shot at RB, with other players in the position visibly struggling.

The RB position needs, and has needed for a while, serious upgrade because Alves has declined terribly and Montoya has certainly not shown any special talent aside from just being merely serviceable.

What do you propose we do, then? Sell Montoya and bitch about the board not buying a better RB before the ban? You do know we're transfer banned, right?

Montoya is our best option right now. When he and Alves leave we will find ourselves without a RB that we can even consider "Merely serviceable".

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
What do you propose we do, then? Sell Montoya and bitch about the board not buying a better RB before the ban? You do know we're transfer banned, right?

Montoya is our best option right now. When he and Alves leave we will find ourselves without a RB that we can even consider "Merely serviceable".

I don't even know why you're arguing with me. I didn't say sell Montoya and repeated twice he should be getting more playing time simply because of the way his direct competition is performing.

And no, there's nothing "we" can do. Either the ban gets lifted or reduced (unlikely) and the team goes and invest in a talented RB, or the ban stays and Montoya stays and maybe gets more playing time, or the ban stays and Montoya and Alves leave and the team is left scrambling for answers and holding their dicks.

Cule4life

The Culest
I don't even know why you're arguing with me. I didn't say sell Montoya and repeated twice he should be getting more playing time simply because of the way his direct competition is performing.

And no, there's nothing "we" can do. Either the ban gets lifted or reduced (unlikely) and the team goes and invest in a talented RB, or the ban stays and Montoya stays and maybe gets more playing time, or the ban stays and Montoya and Alves leave and the team is left scrambling for answers and holding their dicks.

I will take option 3 for 100 bucks please

PhilS

It would be great to get some value for Montoya, and to let him go somewhere where he might get to play. The team has way to many fullbacks and potential fullbacks, and Montoya is rated the lowest of the bunch by the coach.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Montoya cannot leave right now. He simply cannot leave. Lucho is a total idiot if he lets Montoya leave.

He should and even if Lucho doesn't let him, he should show him the finger and leave. He is the 4th choice after Dani Alves who doesn't perform, Adriano who can't stay fit for long and freaking Douglas who no one in the entire world, not even his last team's fans, rate.

Any sane person would get the hell out of there if he was in Montoya's position right now.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
He has a contract so if the club wants to keep him, he'll have to stay unless some other club meets his buyout (and considering he rarely plays, I don't think anybody will do that).

Cule4life

The Culest
He has a contract so if the club wants to keep him, he'll have to stay unless some other club meets his buyout (and considering he rarely plays, I don't think anybody will do that).

Keep him for what exactly? Something like Chelsea not willing to sell hazard makes sense but Lucho not wanting to sell Montoya seems completely idiotic if he's not gonna use him

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
He's tall. Montoya leaving wouldn't be an issue if we were able to make transfers next summer, but as it stands we are banned from making transfers.

Home of Barca Fans