Martin Montoya

Kohe321

When did he show 'a lot of promise'?

When he played, I already said so.

He's soon to be 24 (in April) and I still rate declining Alves above him.

He's too limited to be a RB at Barca.

Okay, that's your opinion. Remember he only played a few games in the last couple of years, and in my opinion he played better than Alves in the games he played, and showed promise and potential. It's hard to show much more when given so little chance, Bartra wasn't exactly looking like the new Beckenbauer two seasons ago either, but he showed promise the few times he played. And that's often all you can go after when a player gets to play so rarely. Now, a couple years and many games later, he's arguably our best CB and still growing by leaps and bounds every month. To me it's obvious that Montoya has similar potential, but he can't realize that potential when he doesn't play.

F

Flavia

Md is claiming lucho said he wasn't counting on Montoya back in the summer. So I have to wonder, why not sell/loan him back then? And why bring douglas, and not Cuadrado? These board of idiots bring a coach, but don't really listen to him.

Kohe321

From Luchos presser right now, when asked about Montoyas situation (I wrote it down as he answered, the translation is by the Barca dude in the pressers, not me):

"I know Montoya perfectly well"

"It's difficult for a manager not to use certain players..."

"Martin is a player that moved up the ranks from Barca B"

"I can only say positive things about Martin"

"He's not going through the best part of his career"

"His situation could change, and if he works hard he could change it"

"If he doesn't get his chance he's perfectly capacitated to do whatever he wants to do"

When asked again about Montoya leaving:

"I'd rather not talk about that if you don't mind, I'd rather talk about it with the player and Andoni"

"In 15 days we'll know more of the CAS' decision (regarding the transferban)"

"Montoya needs to train as hard as he can"

"It's not a very dignified situation he's in at the moment"

JamDav1982

Md is claiming lucho said he wasn't counting on Momtoya back in the summer. So I have to wonder, why not sell/loan him back then? And why bring douglas, and not Cuadrado? These board of idiots bring a coach, but don't really listen to him.

Cuadrado must have been too expensive as clearly they were trying to get him.

Lucho also had the final say on signing Douglas.

On both instances they were listening to Lucho.

JamDav1982

From Luchos presser right now, when asked about Montoyas situation (I wrote it down as he answered, the translation is by the Barca dude in the pressers, not me):

"I know Montoya perfectly well"

"It's difficult for a manager not to use certain players..."

"Martin is a player that moved up the ranks from Barca B"

"I can only say positive things about Martin"

"He's not going through the best part of his career"

"His situation could change, and if he works hard he could change it"

"If he doesn't get his chance he's perfectly capacitated to do whatever he wants to do"

When asked again about Montoya leaving:

"I'd rather not talk about that if you don't mind, I'd rather talk about it with the player and Andoni"

"In 15 days we'll know more of the CAS' decision (regarding the transferban)"

"Montoya needs to train as hard as he can"

"It's not a very dignified situation he's in at the moment"

Might be reading too much into those comments... but is he trying to hint that he Montoya is not working hard enough in training to merit a spot?

Neeraj

This is one of the very few times you would want a Mourinho type guy sitting for the press conference. In situations like this, he often barks out the truth, and doesn't care too much about diplomacy or pissing people off, and would give as direct an answer as possible as to why Montoya is in this situation. It's just so annoying reading these vague comments like "he's in a difficult situation", "his situation could change", "I can say positive things about him", etc. What the hell does this shit even mean? Clearly, you want him out, but statements like this piss me off. Rather just say no comments, or speak the truth.

F

Flavia

Cuadrado must have been too expensive as clearly they were trying to get him.

Lucho also had the final say on signing Douglas.

On both instances they were listening to Lucho.

Yeah, Lucho never saw him playing and trusted the fool zubi, but it was "lucho's decision". Riiight.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Zubi: "We like Martin a lot, but it's the coach that decides"

So MD was right few days ago when they said Lucho didn't count on him.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Don't see how Douglas is better than him, but oh well. If Alves leaves and we get screwed over with this RB position then Lucho got to take part of the blame and most likely go with a 3 man defence or sort something out. Don't think we can afford to have Douglas or Adriano starting week in and out for us.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Don't see how Douglas is better than him, but oh well. If Alves leaves and we get screwed over with this RB position then Lucho got to take part of the blame and most likely go with a 3 man defence or sort something out. Don't think we can afford to have Douglas or Adriano starting week in and out for us.

They will have to renew Alves, I don't care if he asks more salary than Messi or he wants to put into his contract that he wants to make at least 10 crosses every match, just renew him.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't you read the latest? Lucho crossed him over in summer. It has nothing to do with training.

Home of Barca Fans