Mateu Alemany

khaled_a_d

Of course he's gonna leave. Why the hell would he stay?

If I was a Sporting Director, who had a track record of success, and I see the manager given the freedom to sign a bunch of 30+ year olds and renew the likes of Roberto and Busi, then why the hell would I not want to leave?

Alemany isn't a Sporting Director, he is the football director, essentially the negotiator who handles the business side.
The guy is a lawyer who never played the game and made his name as CEO and president of Mallorca.
The Sporting Director is Crujif.

Last edited:

Porque

Yeah. Alemany was a grifter who would stick his hand in a toilet bowl of shit to get back his quarter. Probably wouldn't wash his hand after too.

Porque

Paradoxically, Barca blew up again on the same day that they virtually won the 27th League in their history. This is how complex the Barça club has always been. An untimely official statement announced the farewell to Mateu Alemany , something more than the football director of the club chaired by Joan Laporta . With Alemany, the executive in whom the planning of a multimillion-dollar workforce had pivoted for two years in which not only had to set up a team, leaves. He also fit the salaries . Mateu was Barça 's main communicating vessel with LaLiga . Now, the club will have to find new interlocutors. With LaLiga and, be careful, maybe also with Xavi if, as was speculated this Wednesday, Jordi Cruyff goes out with Alemany , although they didn't even come close together and Mateu was a character with much more hierarchy. And that he made decisions. With hits, like Christensen or Aubameyang . And with signings that have not worked as well, such as Ferran Torres , 62 million, which could make the same trip from Alemany to Birmingham .

---

Surprisingly decent opinion piece by AS about Alemany and the challenges ahead for the team. If it is true that he will move Ferran to Villa along with himself, then fuckin A. Just a shame that we could ingress a shit ton of cash for Ansu and Ferran, only to have to flushed at the OAP bingo hall.

jamrock

I guess emery had a falling out with Villarreal too why he left for villa in the middle of the season basically overnight.

Or he saw their project, liked it and decided to move.

But alemany had to have a major falling out about players he was a part of the team who signed them, as the reason he's leaving Barcelona go quickly.

Hope he takes Torres though, easy 50m

That would show it's no hard feelings.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Yo him taking Ferran to Villa with him would be a great signing off gift. Mans been spectacular and we can’t pretend this isn’t a massive blow.

I’m somewhere in the middle here. I agree with most of Alemany’s takes honestly and while I do think Busi & Alba have done enough to warrant bit roles next season, the logic of bringing nothing but free transfer veterans + Messi won’t be enough.

I think Luft said it earlier and I agree: Laporta was best in his first stint for knowing his role and letting the people he appointed carry out their role in their full capacity and it seems this might not be happening now. Very concerning.

Objectively I do think it’s fair to point at just how ridiculously hard it’s been administratively for us and those are obvious restrictions Alemany won’t have at Villa. But you can’t ignore that Laporta is probably overstepping when he shouldn’t be.

I still support what Xavi is building on the pitch and in training but even I am concerned at the prospect of him having pretty much the only say in how we move this summer, especially if Jordi Cruyff is out of the picture.

Sad to see him leave genuinely and I wish him the best of luck at Villa

JamDav1982

Clearly doesnt like way signings have been and are going as well as renewals.

Too many old players and short term thinking.

Cant blame him.

Better off at Villa than Barca.

Just latest in long line of qualified folk that have left when feel not given freedom to do their job,

serghei

Everybody knows that at Barcelona you have to see eye to eye with the board if you want to continue. It can be frustrating otherwise. But I think Laporta & Co. need to hire another sporting director to replace Alemany. Need to stay professional and have a cohesive structure worthy of an elite club.

Raketa10

Everybody knows that at Barcelona you have to see eye to eye with the board if you want to continue. It can be frustrating otherwise. But I think Laporta & Co. need to hire another sporting director to replace Alemany. Need to stay professional and have a cohesive structure worthy of an elite club.
I only hope that they will hire a top class sporting director and not some clown.

Home of Barca Fans