Matthijs de Ligt

BBZ8800

Great player, hope he joins no matter the cost. We can have him for the next 15 years or smth..

Regarding those ideas: a player will stay here for 10 years.

Some stats:
A foreigner who stayed at Barca for 10 years: NONE
9 years: NONE
8 years: Alves and Masch
7 years: Marquez

Dutch players at Barca:
6 years: R. Koeman, Cocu

How many years have young FOREIGN players stayed?
All transfers of young FOREIGN players in this century (since foreign players are not THAT attached to Barca as La Masia or Spanish players):
Fabio Rochemback 20, 2 seasons
Saviola 20, 3 seasons
Quaresma 20, 1 season
Maxi Lopez 20, 2 seasons
Geovanni 21, 2 seasons
Caceres 21, 1 season
Neymar 21, 4 seasons
Chyngrynkiy 22, 1 season
Alexis 22, 3 seasons
Paco 22, 2 seasons
Umtiti 22, 3 seasons, on a verge of being sold
Denis 22, 2 seasons

Dembele 20, 2 seasons for now
Arthur ??
Malcom, on a verge of being sold

So:
1. No foreigner ever (except Messi who is from La Masia) stayed here for more than 8 years
2. No Dutch player ever stayed for more than 6 years
3. Out of 15 youngsters bought in this century, only Neymar stayed for 4 years

Now:
1. How likely is that De Ligt, Frenkie or Dembele will break all records and be the first foreigners who will stay for more than 8 years?
Or, what is worse, more than only 4 years?

In general, foreigners don't stay here for too long.
And these new gen od kids are switching clubs even more often.

So, when people say about youngsters: he will be good in 2-3 years...
Well, the safest bet is that a player won't be here in 3-4-5 years.
So, there is a high chance that you will keep the player in his youth years and waiting for a better days.
While those better days will never come regarding that player (since he will stagnate in his development) or he will play on his prime in some other club.

My point: instead of reasoning: it is worth to suffer for 2-3 years with this player since he will be good after that...
We should look at it: will a player xx be good in his 1st, 2nd or 3rd season?
Since his 3rd, 4th or 5th season here the most likely=(the most often) will never come.

Last edited:

kattanib

Wait:
De Ligt makes a mistake as a defender, which is his job.
And then he scores a goal, which is not his main job.
Was he a good or bad defender tonight, since we are buying him to strengthen our defense.

And I am proven as an idiot for questioning whether De Ligt is worth 85 or more Millions, 10m for his agent, Pique's wages and asking for a starting spot.
Which again means that probably Lenglet needs to be benched.
Lenglet, who is also young, needs a playing time to grow.
And who is on lower wages, without Raiola and won't make a fuss about a guaranteed starting spot.

Do a free online MBTI personality test. I bet you are an INTJ

JedBanker

To those people who are questioning his quality and promise. The kid is only going to be 20 this year, and he has played what? 3 seasons of professional football.....and in that time he has been named captain ....Cbs have a much later peak then forwards also how many top CBs move around? They are not like strikers or midfielders who jump from club to club every 2-3 seasons...they generally stay around for the long haul much like goalkeepers. When was the last time we saw a CB of his age with his quality, people want us to give Tobido a chance but De Ligt is only a couple months older then him, and even an imbecile could see that De Ligt is miles ahead of him. Yeah he makes mistakes but which young player doesnt, in 4 years or so he will definitely will be in the top 3 defenders in the world. Besides he has an excellent mentality and is up for the big games. As I said being a 19 year old and having to be a captain of your team and marshaling a defense with players such as Daley Blind who is ten years his senior takes a lot of balls. Yeah Blind is not a top class player but is still more experienced by a long shot. And De Ligt shows up in big games such as the Juventus quarter final away leg having to deal with that sort of pressure and delivering......when I was 19 my biggest form of pressure came from cramming for uni exams and tryna think of corny pick up lines for loose women never mind muscling past a defender like Chiellini to plant a bullet of a header in the back of the net in front of 50 000 people. Honestly would be an epic signing for us and could be a future captain.

Last edited:

Barcilliant

To those people who are questioning his quality and promise. The kid is only going to be 20 this year, and he has played what? 3 seasons of professional football.....and in that time he has been named captain ....Cbs have a much later peak then forwards also how many top CBs move around? They are not like strikers or midfielders who jump from club to club every 2-3 seasons...they generally stay around for the long haul much like goalkeepers. When was the last time we saw a CB of his age with his quality, people want us to give Tobido a chance but De Ligt is only a couple months older then him, and even an imbecile could see that De Ligt is miles ahead of him. Yeah he makes mistakes but which young player doesnt, in 4 years or so he will definitely will be in the top 3 defenders in the world. Besides he has an excellent mentality and is up for the big games. As I said being a 19 year old and having to be a captain of your team and marshaling a defense with players such as Daley Blind who is ten years his senior takes a lot of balls. Yeah Blind is not a top class player but is still more experienced by a long shot. And De Ligt shows up in big games such as the Juventus quarter final away leg having to deal with that sort of pressure and delivering......when I was 19 my biggest form of pressure came from cramming for uni exams and tryna think of corny pick up lines for loose women never mind muscling past a defender like Chiellini to plant a bullet of a header in the back of the net in front of 50 000 people. Honestly would be an epic signing for us and could be a future captain.

He would be a good signing but I doubt he would come here. First there's Raiolas demands plus there's Shitverde. De Ligt isn't dumb and he knows Shitverde would not develop him.

Andresito

Staff member
If he makes a mistake in the first half and scores in the second half > OMG STFU all you haters this guy is a must buy.

If he scores in the first half and makes a mistake in the second half > Maybe he's not that good. We dodged a bullet not signing him.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Aspects of his character absolutely remind me of Puyol who himself could make an error from time to time but would give it everything to redeem himself. They are cut from the same cloth IMHO

Raketa10

Frenkie de Jong:

"I hope De Ligt will come to Barça with me, I hope so. Of course we have talked about his future, but I am clear that it is a matter of his and he and his family must decide. What I can not do is influence his decision. It is something that he must resolve in the next few days on his own. He knows what I would like. We will have to wait for the final outcome of the UEFA Nations League to know the decision of De Ligt."

Last edited:

VN10

Some stats:

Dutch players at Barca:

All transfers of young FOREIGN players in this century (since foreign players are not THAT attached to Barca as La Masia or Spanish players):
Saviola 20, 3 seasons
Quaresma 20, 1 season
Maxi Lopez 20, 2 seasons
Geovanni 21, 2 seasons
Caceres 21, 1 season
Neymar 21, 4 seasons
Chyngrynkiy 22, 1 season
Alexis 22, 3 seasons
Paco 22, 2 seasons
Denis 22, 2 seasons

Arthur ??

So:
1. No foreigner ever (except Messi who is from La Masia) stayed here for more than 8 years

Now:
1. How likely is that De Ligt, Frenkie or Dembele will break all records and be the first foreigners who will stay for more than 8 years?

So, there is a high chance that you will keep the player in his youth years and waiting for a better days.
While those better days will never come regarding that player (since he will stagnate in his development) or he will play on his prime in some other club.

My point: instead of reasoning: it is worth to suffer for 2-3 years with this player since he will be good after that...
Since his 3rd, 4th or 5th season here the most likely=(the most often) will never come.

Eloquently written BBZ, well done. But it is eloquent bullshit nevertheless.

I assume that you love your own contributions to this forum, but all they do is make me giggle.

MTL_Barca

"Suffer for 2-3 years" why the hell post this in the De Ligt thread? He already is a good defender. Not comparable with most 18-20 year old CBs. He makes some mistakes or has a bad game here or there? Well big surpise! Players usually make mistakes, not just 19 year old players but just about every defender makes mistakes. Pique makes them, Lenglet makes them, Roberto, Alba, Umtiti...all of them. It's hard to name a defender that plays flawless in almost all his games, people here were even jumping on Van Dijk calling him overrated etc just because he had a not-perfect game.

We don't talk about a super raw talent here, De Ligt plays mature and good in general and especially for his age. If other 19-20 year old defenders improve over the span of 1-2 years they can then become good enough to start for big clubs, if De Ligt adapts well and improves over 1-2 he can become absolute world class imo. Barca dosen't have to sacrifice winning for his development, we don't talk about Puig or Miranda starting here.

And rambling about the "could play here for 10 years" is just stupid. Of course that rarely happens. 10 years is just such a long time in football, so much happens in that time. 10 years ago was the time Barca won the CL in Peps 1st season, just think about how much happend in the meantime. But i mean who would take that literal to begin with? Only someone who want's to take it as an opportunity to rant about young players :lol:

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Frenkie de Jong:

"I hope De Ligt will come to Barça with me, I hope so. Of course we have talked about his future, but I am clear that it is a matter of his and he and his family must decide. What I can not do is influence his decision. It is something that he must resolve in the next few days on his own. He knows what I would like. We will have to wait for the final outcome of the UEFA Nations League to know the decision of De Ligt."

tenor.gif

Raketa10

WTF are we even talking about? HE is an unbelievable talent, and a proper leader (something we don't have for some time now). Of course he is not finished product with 19y, and of course he will make mistakes but tell me ONE CB who played on his level with only 19 on his back. I don't have any doubt about him at all.

CatalinR10

Some stats:

Dutch players at Barca:

Saviola 20, 3 seasons
Quaresma 20, 1 season
Maxi Lopez 20, 2 seasons
Geovanni 21, 2 seasons
Caceres 21, 1 season
Neymar 21, 4 seasons
Chyngrynkiy 22, 1 season
Alexis 22, 3 seasons
Paco 22, 2 seasons
Denis 22, 2 seasons

Arthur ??

So:

Now:

What were the odds or how many times did it happen in barca's history to blow a 3 goal lead 2 times in a row ? Never ?

Just because an event never happened before , doesn't mean it's not about to happen in the future.

There will be a player who will come young aged in the future and stay for 10 years sooner or later . I'm not saying it's going to be de Ligt but it's going to happen.

If a young player is really worthy of being a Barca starting player , loves barcelona and has all the long term qualities , he will stay here for a long time. If not , he will get sold.

BarçaBarça

That's why I said used to be the best. It is clearly no longer. Real and Barca have the resources to wrest back that mantle but right now Premier League teams are very strong.

Alright, this summer PL is best, then. Let's see if they are the best league in the world next winter after CL-groups. That is not how I usually talks about "best league in the world" - it takes more than 1 summer, imo. Spain has dominated for years, and still have the best players in the world. Griezmann is better than most top-PL-players, but is less hyped because La Liga has shit marketing and PL in that department is the best in the world.

It's even proven by England in Euro/World Cups recent years, where the hype is insane because they think playing in PL makes them gods, but in the end it turns out that they are not outstanding compared to other nations.

I think people just expect too much from this kid. He ain't superman. He never asked for the hype around him. Even if he'll become the best CB within a few years, he still can play a bad game once in a while.
Shit just happen sometimes.

Nobody expects him to be perfect already. He is 19. That is what is smart about getting him now, he will last so many years for us, but of course he won't have a Van Djik-like impact for us right away.

Wait:
De Ligt makes a mistake as a defender, which is his job.
And then he scores a goal, which is not his main job.
Was he a good or bad defender tonight, since we are buying him to strengthen our defense.

And I am proven as an idiot for questioning whether De Ligt is worth 85 or more Millions, 10m for his agent, Pique's wages and asking for a starting spot.
Which again means that probably Lenglet needs to be benched.
Lenglet, who is also young, needs a playing time to grow.
And who is on lower wages, without Raiola and won't make a fuss about a guaranteed starting spot.

He is a 19 year old defender, ffs. He is not perfect, but at a ridiculously high level already + not a drama-queen/overconfident type, more of a leader-type. He will strenghten our defence for sure, he is surely better than Lenglet in the long term, and that is what we should focus on in transfer-policy.

This "maybe Lenglet will suffer" is not a very good argument, because De Ligt clearly has a higher ceiling than Lenglet, so of course we should bet on De Ligt instead of him.
I'm not sayin 0 minutes for Lenglet, De Ligt should be eased in during next season, but in the end if Lenglet causes real trouble, we should sell him next season, tbh.

Now:

De Ligt is very much not typical for this "gen of kids". He speaks/thinks like a 30-year-old. Not like a 18 year old Brazilian. His club-commitment to Ajax should also show you that much.

How about Mats? Forgot him? Maybe you did because he will almost certainly stay here 10 years, he has for 5 and counting. How is that possible? Maybe because he is a foreigner who identifies very much with his club, smart and learns catalan quickly, takes the clubs philosophy + youth-approach to heart etc. Do we know another guy who identifies strongly with his club/acts like a leader/demands things from the fans etc.? Yes, De Ligt.

De Ligt plays CB, where you can play until you are at least in your start 30s. As CF/Winger/CM it is another story if you for example relies on speed. There is as much possibility for De Ligt to stay here for 8 years than there is for him not to. As we see with Umtiti, where we thought the same thing (stay 10 years), injuries can happen and destroy careers (is not the case for Umtiti yet, but could be), but we can not rule out transfers because "maybe our players get injured", because we simply cannot know that.

Aspects of his character absolutely remind me of Puyol who himself could make an error from time to time but would give it everything to redeem himself. They are cut from the same cloth IMHO

Exactly, he is a true leader. Important goals in CL-semi/Nations League semi/captain at 18 year old/level-headed in interviews/special connection with fans - demands that they deliver a good atmosphere. Wow, he is a gem.

Raketa10

I hope he is smart enough not to go to PSG. Disgusting club, not to mention that no one can escape from there. They also have Kimpembe and Marquinhos so I really don't see why they need him more than we do? Another problem is that they play in League 1 which is anything but competitive.

There isn't anything better regarding PSG offer and if Valverde is the only problem he should definitely choose Barca since Valverde won't be here for more than one season. Money wise he will earn maybe even more in Barca in the long term since our overall salaries are bigger than those of PSG. To sum this up there should be no doubt in his head at least I can't thing of any.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans