Matthijs de Ligt

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
It was in the report of de Telegraaf...

Have you memory trouble ?

I refer you to the post in de Jong thread around 21/22/23 Januray and after...

I even see a post where i announced he had stopped following Real Madrid and you liked the answer from Givenchy who was wondering why he was following Real Madrid if he was a true fan.

Around those pages, everyone here was astonished by the fee and the salary offered by Barcelona but now you want to tell me it was all about love for Barcelona ?

Raiola has many clients in PSG. Maxwell, our vice sporting director is a Raiola boy (he kinda works for him for some obscure stuff). It is not at all surprising to see him with some PSG top figures.

Anyway, i will not spend more time trying to convince you that i think de Ligt will go to Barcelona and not to PSG. It is my personal conviction that he will go 100 % to Barcelona. Thus, i'm not invested in his saga.

I'm not painting any picture about de Jong : just revisit your very own forums, your own reactions and the one of your fellow Barça fans at the time.
The father of de Jong himself at the time said he would prefer Barcelona but it was to see if the financial side would be covered. De Jong himself says Barcelona has followed him since a long time and that they have their financial situation but he is happy they were serious and that getting play time helped him take his decision.

Isn't that obvious to you that 1) he prefers Barcelona over any destination but 2) the financial offer and playing time were decisive factors of his choice ?

Sam Lee that is well informed on City (who was on the mix) and who posted that quotes i took from the 21 or 22 on de Jong thread :
[tw]1088126700666396674[/tw]
[tw]1088126698992947206[/tw]

I really don't get why you are so defensive about money. Yes, Barça players love their money as much as other players in the world. Messi prefers Barcelona but still, you have to cough up his 100 M (number reported with all the signing bonus + his tax penalty paid by Barça) for him to be happy. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Your club makes big money and players are the central actors of the club activity. Seems pretty normal that they ask top dollar without having to be called greedy.

So what is your point? That De Jong went to Barcelona because we offered him more money? OK, fair enough. So why do you think De Ligt is different, that he would take the lower offer instead of more money? This is why I kept saying you can’t eat the cake and have it too. You keep contradicting yourself.

Just your own conviction and nothing logical?

Newcomer

So what is your point? That De Jong went to Barcelona because we offered him more money? OK, fair enough. So why do you think De Ligt is different, that he would take the lower offer instead of more money? This is why I kept saying you can’t eat the cake and have it too. You keep contradicting yourself.

Just your own conviction and nothing logical?
Well, you said that yourself in de Jong thread.

I think de Jong and de Ligt are an item. Another example would be Zlatan and Maxwell being at Ajax, Barcelona, PSG together.

As soon as Barcelona got de Jong, it was game over for de Ligt in my book.

Newcomer

If PSG really offering 16M net , then they have official gone mad

Do you really believe this ? Mbappé doesn't get that much money and we can all assume Mbappé is a more sought out player than de Ligt.

He would have the second salary after Neymar. Simply impossible. 16 M gross, that could be possible.

George_Costanza

I know coaches like Pep, Klopp, and Zidane call prospect players to convince them to join. Why I never hear about Valverde doing something like this?

Givenchy

I know coaches like Pep, Klopp, and Zidane call prospect players to convince them to join. Why I never hear about Valverde doing something like this?

because he has no say in our transfer business (and tbh, thankfully so if you consider he wanted Willian, rumours of Rodrigo and Dani Potato) besides i dont think EV has the charisma to convince any prospect players

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
because he has no say in our transfer business (and tbh, thankfully so if you consider he wanted Willian, rumours of Rodrigo and Dani Potato) besides i dont think EV has the charisma to convince any prospect players

I think he has a say in the transfer business as any coach does, it is more of the latter (that he is such a dull and rigid person that he simply doesn't do those things).

Arizona Scott

We are talking about official UEFA coefficient :
https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

Dutch league is 11th. This is what is used to give spot in European competitions.

I thought the focus was on comparing the level of competition of dutch league vs Ligue 1 and others--related to the argument if De Ligt went to Ligue 1 how big of step it would be? It would be a step but nothing like the leaps to facing weekly EPL or La Liga competitions. Uefa coefficients reflect the performance of the cream of the league, but isn't as good reflection of the match to match quality as your middle and lower teams don't play. Overall quality of the league is much better represented by club resources/marketvalue and wages than just how to the top teams do in Europe. Portugal is a classic areexample, Benfica and Porto tend to produce pretty well in Europe but also have an extra easy time domestically because so many clubs are quite poor. The league gets overrated because the teams most see, and generate most of their uefa ratings, are Porto and Benfica.

Newcomer

I thought the focus was on comparing the level of competition of dutch league vs Ligue 1 and others--related to the argument if De Ligt went to Ligue 1 how big of step it would be? It would be a step but nothing like the leaps to facing weekly EPL or La Liga competitions. Uefa coefficients reflect the performance of the cream of the league, but isn't as good reflection of the match to match quality as your middle and lower teams don't play. Overall quality of the league is much better represented by club resources/marketvalue and wages than just how to the top teams do in Europe. Portugal is a classic areexample, Benfica and Porto tend to produce pretty well in Europe but also have an extra easy time domestically because so many clubs are quite poor. The league gets overrated because the teams most see, and generate most of their uefa ratings, are Porto and Benfica.
The argument was he said that the dutch league was the 6th league and when confronted with his obvious lie, he told me i knew nothing because i'm a PSG fan. He had now fled as he couldn't back up his bs.

And the official and only relevant ranking of leagues is the UEFA coefficient.

And it was pretty reliable imo. When people where claiming PL was the best league, this coefficient would reflect la Liga was better.

And transfermarket values are not reliable (their other statistics are good but not the market values). They didn't predict Mbappé would be worth 180 M, Pulisic being 75 M, Dembélé being 130/140 M.

Obiaseti

Generally, the whole coach calling gimmick is used when the coach has pull and charisma. Unfortunately, like the others pointed out, Valverde doesn't really have the reputation of a Zidane, Pep or Klopp and possesses the charisma of a rotting egg. So if we tried this, at best it would leave the player indifferent, and at worst it could scupper the deal. Our sell now has to be Messi, history, marketing & branding, La Liga, and FDJ & the Dutch connection in this instance. In theory, Messi calling the player would have a bigger impact, but doubt that would happen.

Arizona Scott

The argument was he said that the dutch league was the 6th league and when confronted with his obvious lie, he told me i knew nothing because i'm a PSG fan. He had now fled as he couldn't back up his bs.

And the official and only relevant ranking of leagues is the UEFA coefficient.

And it was pretty reliable imo. When people where claiming PL was the best league, this coefficient would reflect la Liga was better.

And transfermarket values are not reliable (their other statistics are good but not the market values). They didn't predict Mbappé would be worth 180 M, Pulisic being 75 M, Dembélé being 130/140 M.
Dont agree with your "unreliability" point there. The value of teams players on transfer market is a pretty good indicator for that clubs rank in their league--who wins, who gets relegated, who gets to play in europe comp. Always anomalies but pretty good--just predict who is going to be successful for europe spots and who are in relegation battles in the EPL and La Liga. They are highly, but imperfectly, tied.

Last edited:

serghei

Lol, if we get Valverde to talk to the players we are after, and share with them his project, they'd all sign for other teams.

Only time they should be allowed to even speak with Valverde is after they've put pen to paper.

Zidane82

Cillessen has apparently sat down and told him that he needs to sign for Barca !!!

Thank gawd somebody is trying to get him here :)

DAMNit

Do you really believe this ? Mbappé doesn't get that much money and we can all assume Mbappé is a more sought out player than de Ligt.

He would have the second salary after Neymar. Simply impossible. 16 M gross, that could be possible.

The owners of PSG have told Leonardo that De Ligt is their priority. So, yes! They are offering him that much.

Home of Barca Fans